The Moving Cache Race for 2010/2011

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Frogglin
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found
Twitter: Frogglin

Re: The Moving Cache Race for 2010/2011

Post by Frogglin » 07 November 10 7:56 pm

Surely no matter what size you're looking for, if you spot a gnome.. well it's a gnome.

I don't know how I'm listing mine yet, still getting the little buggers painted.

oldfella
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 07 November 10 8:12 pm

I do not suppose size will matter but we are placing a micro gnome about the size of an eclipse tin and it will have a nano inside as that is the biggest hole I can drill into it without destroying it. How do I know?? Version one and two exploded whilst I was drilling. Too much pressure I suppose but version 3 is ready to rock and roll.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 07 November 10 8:32 pm

Oldfella, you are eligible to log Black Bunny's cache: The Gegnome Casualty Ward GA2275. And I am sorry to hear about the casualties.

Wendy

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 07 November 10 10:03 pm

just so i'm not a complete gumby at bunnings tomorrow...

what is that foam-filling-up stuff really called? :?

(also, i nearly pinched my next door neighbours gnome last night, to make ANOTHER entry for this. look what you've all started!! :gnome )

oz lurker
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by oz lurker » 07 November 10 10:14 pm

Bostik call their product expanda foam. Cheapest option at Bunning's - small can (350g) was about $10. Just remember - this stuff expands ALOT (250-300%) so don't use\buy too much :^o

Also, I have never had much luck in keeping a partially used can 'viable' for more than a couple of days - so I generally treat it as a single use item and chuck after use (despite what the manufacturer says - and they say it's good for up to 4 weeks...).

Happy foaming :gnome :gnomette

SamWalkers
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by SamWalkers » 07 November 10 11:04 pm

I feel that we have established cache size is the internal volume of the cache and we don't want to re-muddy that water.

So - here is a suggested option that cachers could choose to include on their cache page...
Image micro gnome, heaven help us....
Image small gnome,
Image regular gnome, Bunnings special,
Image large gnome verging on troll

pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by pwags » 07 November 10 11:08 pm

Another (more economical) option you might want to consider is cement or plaster of Paris. Bunnings have smallish bags of either for around $5-$6. I used concrete mix in my gnomes, which gives them a nice heavy feel, makes my $3 gnome seem much better quality!

To help your search at Bunnings, the expanda-foam is on the shelves with the gap filler tubes, near the paint, while the cement and plaster is with all of the building products (near the timber etc. at our nearest store).

Happy shopping! :)

Frogglin
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found
Twitter: Frogglin

Post by Frogglin » 08 November 10 12:27 am

You can also pack a gnome with polystyrene lumps and then expanda foam around those to save on foam.

It's true it's practically single use, if you have multi gnomes, do em all at the same time.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 08 November 10 8:46 am

It's surprising how big a gnome can be and you can still only fit a micro sized container inside :evil:

I have a redular size and a small size gnome but a BIG can of foam filler. I'm thinking now that I ought to go out and buy another dozen gnomes so I don't waste all that foam filler since it's only a one-use sort of thing!

What is everyone's weekend experience with the foam filler stuff? It says to fill larger spaces in layers so I had thought I ought to half fill the larger gnome and then wait 20 minutes and then do the rest. But now I'm thinking that the foam can might be ununsable after 2 minutes. I did get some acetone to clean it up but.... sometimes these things never quite go how you expect!

SamWalkers

Post by SamWalkers » 08 November 10 9:27 am

blossom* wrote:It's surprising how big a gnome can be and you can still only fit a micro sized container inside :evil:

I have a redular size and a small size gnome but a BIG can of foam filler. I'm thinking now that I ought to go out and buy another dozen gnomes so I don't waste all that foam filler since it's only a one-use sort of thing!

What is everyone's weekend experience with the foam filler stuff? It says to fill larger spaces in layers so I had thought I ought to half fill the larger gnome and then wait 20 minutes and then do the rest. But now I'm thinking that the foam can might be ununsable after 2 minutes. I did get some acetone to clean it up but.... sometimes these things never quite go how you expect!
Try this:
Fill the wheel barrow with dry sand or dirt.
Mould shapes into it. Lots of them.
Suspend containers over the holes and fill the holes with the left over filler.
When they come out you have a termite mound cache, a mushroom cache and a cow pat cache.

I have pressed a small childs face into fine sand (with a satin handkerchief) and got a really good face cast.

When you have exhausted your imagination you can always fill gaps with it.

My experience is that you get about 15 minutes to use the can.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 08 November 10 9:59 am

SamWalkers wrote:I feel that we have established cache size is the internal volume of the cache and we don't want to re-muddy that water.

So - here is a suggested option that cachers could choose to include on their cache page...
Image micro gnome, heaven help us....
Image small gnome,
Image regular gnome, Bunnings special,
Image large gnome verging on troll
They're pretty cool - could you put "mm" on them though?

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 08 November 10 10:12 am

You know it has occurred to me that these gnomes are crafty buggers. :twisted:

I have gone from never owning one, never wanted one, never looked at one, to now owning 4 of them :gnome :gnome :gnome :gnomette and particpating in discussions in relation to them about cement, expandafoam, plaster of paris, painting, size, drilling, going to a future gnome event, face casting in wheelbarrows (I suppose I will have to go and buy one of those now), satin hankerchiefs and the list goes on. And next month I will be searching for them in listed co-ords.

These gnomes are really quite skillful in underhand or evil schemes to take over the world.

SamWalkers

Post by SamWalkers » 08 November 10 10:26 am

Cached wrote:
SamWalkers wrote:I feel that we have established cache size is the internal volume of the cache and we don't want to re-muddy that water.

micro gnome, heaven help us....
small gnome,
regular gnome, Bunnings special,
large gnome verging on troll
They're pretty cool - could you put "mm" on them though?
Revised:
Micro Image
Small Image
Regular Image
Troll Image

oz lurker

Post by oz lurker » 08 November 10 6:33 pm

mundoo wrote:You know it has occurred to me that these gnomes are crafty buggers. :twisted:

I have gone from never owning one, never wanted one, never looked at one, to now owning 4 of them :gnome :gnome :gnome :gnomette and particpating in discussions in relation to them about cement, expandafoam, plaster of paris, painting, size, drilling, going to a future gnome event, face casting in wheelbarrows (I suppose I will have to go and buy one of those now), satin hankerchiefs and the list goes on. And next month I will be searching for them in listed co-ords.

These gnomes are really quite skillful in underhand or evil schemes to take over the world.

Ha, you think you have issues!!! My mother hates, loathes, detests Garden gnomes - really, she quite dislikes them, so much so, that after I ill-advisedly got her one as a gag gift - she has threatened to cut me out of her will if I get another.

At this stage I have 3x Regular and 6x small with various holes drilled in various body part for the sequestering of logs etc... and I have an idea for Gnome #10.

Good thing she's currently in NZ, bad thing is she'll be back before Dec 01 - guess that means my idea of launching every Gnome from her front garden is a bust?? :-" :-" :-"