70 +caches in a day... How do you do it ?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
malstew

70 +caches in a day... How do you do it ?

Post by malstew » 21 September 10 9:23 pm

My genuine query is how can a person log 70 + caches in a day (2) of which were mine. No sign of the log ???
Have to say in my opinion this is just not cricket...
My personal best is 34 and I have to say this was a huge task which bordered on spoiling the game for me. I did sign every log book!

Feel free to put me straight.

Cheers

Mal.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: 70 +caches in a day... How do you do it ?

Post by CraigRat » 21 September 10 9:35 pm

Planning, and lots of it :lol

What do you mean 'No sign of the Log'? Do you mean they didnt actually sign the book but only logged it online??

malstew

Post by malstew » 21 September 10 9:47 pm

Thats right, logged on line but not in the books.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 21 September 10 9:51 pm

5 years ago whilst travelling in SA, woke up in the morning, packed up the camper trailer, packed the family (2YO, 6 week old and wife) into car and just drove. Pulled into a campsite before dark and had found 30 caches without planning.

These days with some planning it is quite feasible in the right location. :wink:

If they spend some time night caching they could possibly achieve the numbers.... though some might be harder to prove.

mm

o'cholio

Post by o'cholio » 21 September 10 11:55 pm

Depending on the area, it's not real hard at all. We did 102 on the Yorke in one day, and friends of ours did 137. And we signed every single one of them, with pre-printed and dated stickers. But then, that's the Yorke.

The "should I be signing the logbook" thread ran its course recently. One of the very few hard and fast rules of geocaching is that if the logbook isn't signed, you cannot claim a find online. Of course, owners may always be flexible and allow non-signing, but that's entirely up to you.

Our personal view of it is that the rule is there for a reason. A signature in the logbook is absolute proof that your cache was legitimately found, so if we check a log and something's missing, the offender gets an email, if they don't comply, their log gets deleted. But, as I've already said, each to their own.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 22 September 10 9:33 am

And dont even get me started again on power trails hahaha. Yeah 70 is not too bad, I did 37 from 9am to 5pm with ZERO planning heading from Blackheath to Orange last month. If you head into a new territory with a decent cache density its a snap. What did the blokes and girls on the Adelaide invasion do? Like 200? Now THAT requires a lot of Planning! =D>

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 September 10 9:35 am

malstew wrote:Thats right, logged on line but not in the books.
No log in the book, no find, delete the log.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 22 September 10 11:26 am

When I had less than 100 finds under my belt, my 2 daughters and I embarked on a caching run in Brisbane, with the aim of breaking the Qld record for the most number of caches found in 24hrs. This was in October 06. At the time, the record stood at 52. In 20 hrs, actually 19 1/2 hrs, from 0030 to 2000 hrs, we found and logged 62 caches. I personally visited each and every cache, and used a rubber stamp to stamp each, then manually added time, and date, to each log. Our record only stood for one month before it was broken.
We did this without premium membership, and without paperless caching. We also chose an area rich in caches, which allowed minimal travelling time between caches.
How did we do it, a lot of planning, weeks of checking cache locations and closest entry points with Google Earth and online street maps. We ran a laptop in the car with preloaded cache pages, with accompanying maps. We also ran a Navman navigator to get our quickest route to the next entry. One daughter was operating the laptop, the other operating the Navman. At times, it got too much for one or the other, and they had a sleep in the back. Neither at that time had a licence, so I had to do all the driving. Its entirely possible to get those kind of numbers.
On quite a few occasions since, when Mrs Bundy and I have been travelling on trips, we have logged 30+ caches in consecutive days. We recently found about 350 caches in just over 4 weeks travelling to Tasmania and back. We now have Premium membership, paperless caching, and a better laptop. And we are not really keen. If I wanted to, another 24hr run could be done, with better results. Both daughters now drive.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 22 September 10 2:12 pm

It can be done, it just takes eating on the run and nothing else BUT caching all day long!
MtbikerOz & I did 61 on our 1st day on the Yorke

As for the logs or lack thereof, if they haven't put writing implement to paper to prove they have been there, irregardless of how good their description of the GZ is, then they haven't logged it so no online log is therefore deserved in my books.
I have to go and delete a few of one persons logs because they refuse to write in log books.
I personally don't understand the effort someone would make to go find a cache only to not go 1 step further to take out a pencil/pen and say you've been there! Ridiculous and attention seeking!

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 22 September 10 3:25 pm

CraigRat wrote:Planning, and lots of it :lol
Amen!

nibbler
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by nibbler » 22 September 10 4:08 pm

max 41 prime minister series . start at 9am finish by 4pm most drive bys. Always sign log or its not a find

malstew

Post by malstew » 22 September 10 9:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the info, clearly I am still a newby.
Some amazing feedback here and some serious applause to those who can be that organised. =D>

Cheers and Happy Hunting

Mal.
(The Penny_Drops)

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 22 September 10 10:01 pm

This post may help with some comments as well.

Also try this search it may help.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 September 10 10:20 pm

The wiki may also provide some information:
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Caching_record

malstew

Post by malstew » 22 September 10 10:29 pm

Thanks for the links, lots of layers in this awesome game.
I had no concept of the possibilities.