What would you do. . .

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: What would you do. . .

Post by Zalgariath » 06 October 10 9:18 pm

PrincessDiala wrote:After finding around 6 of these in a row on the weekend all by the same team, and none of them really memorable I wrote micro logs... you should've read what I wrote in my comment on my gpsr :-#
What, you found 6 bomb/water proof ammo's with systema inners in top locations in a row?! :P Gold! I hope you passed on a torrent of abuse and warned them never to do it again! 8-[ hahaha

PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Post by PrincessDiala » 06 October 10 9:40 pm

:stabby I'm too polite for that.

I think on the multi by them, had us ALL over the park, still had us finding the green eclipse under some bark near a tree stump :evil:
All that work for a micro *sigh*..

But on a good adventure I'll write a thesis :oops:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 06 October 10 10:48 pm

I must admit I dislike multis (or mysterys) where you go to a heck of a lot of work to find a micro at the end, when if the final was 10 metres away an ammo can could have been hidden. Yes it's a smiley, but then you have done a lot of work to find an eclipse tin with a bit of paper inside.

I guess playing devil's advocate hardly anybody here attempts mystery caches or even multis compared to a traditional, so why waste a good cache container that few people will find? (Because I want the finder to enjoy it personally, but hey)

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 07 October 10 10:31 am

When I started geocaching, one of my first impression I had of the activity was it was full of unwritten "rules", it almost turned me away from geocaching.

The cacher has done what is required by Geocaching.com to log the find and no consideration should be made to delete the logs. Don't go making up your own rules. There are no ALR's.

I love it when I get a detailed log with a great story, I hate it when I get a short log "TFTC". I even hate more a script generated log..

"I am the 8th person to find this cache, It was last found 123 days ago... blah blah blah" <- It just shows the cacher knows better and thinks this shortcut will not be noticed..

BUT at the end of the day it is not my place to be the cache police. When I get a nice log it is a privileged, not a right.

Sure write them a message is you fell you must and you're capable of writing a message that is not condescending, not being a bully, not giving them a guilt trip. Be polite and friendly.

Remember the cache is yours but the listing belongs to Geocaching.com and falls under there rules/guidelines, not your made up ones.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 07 October 10 11:02 am

covert wrote:When I started geocaching, one of my first impression I had of the activity was it was full of unwritten "rules", it almost turned me away from geocaching.

The cacher has done what is required by Geocaching.com to log the find and no consideration should be made to delete the logs. Don't go making up your own rules. There are no ALR's.

I love it when I get a detailed log with a great story, I hate it when I get a short log "TFTC". I even hate more a script generated log..

"I am the 8th person to find this cache, It was last found 123 days ago... blah blah blah" <- It just shows the cacher knows better and thinks this shortcut will not be noticed..

BUT at the end of the day it is not my place to be the cache police. When I get a nice log it is a privileged, not a right.

Sure write them a message is you fell you must and you're capable of writing a message that is not condescending, not being a bully, not giving them a guilt trip. Be polite and friendly.

Remember the cache is yours but the listing belongs to Geocaching.com and falls under there rules/guidelines, not your made up ones.
Agree 100%

If you delete a log from you cache (or insinuate that you will) because you thought is was too brief or insufficent YOU are in the wrong if it's a GC listed cache!

I'd advise people to get over it, especially as there will be more of these brief, uninteresting logs as people get more automated and as more members of the public come on board with their iToys. Getting too worked up over these types of logs will only result in ulcers.

I know what reply I'd give to some of the emails proposed in this thread (it'd only take 2 words).

pprass
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 07 October 10 11:58 am

CraigRat wrote:I know what reply I'd give to some of the emails proposed in this thread (it'd only take 2 words).
Hmmm - another micro response :P

At the very least it would be some sort of a response and an acknowledgement that they read what the cache owner's point of view is.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 07 October 10 12:00 pm

covert wrote:I love it when I get a detailed log with a great story, I hate it when I get a short log "TFTC". I even hate more a script generated log..

I find it interesting that you say this. I have used a GSAK macro for our logs for the last 6 months and have often wondered what peoples thoughts were but have never seen anyone so vehemently opposed to this kind of log.

I have always logged with a set format. I have just found the macro gives me a template to start from and reduces my log time (after the first Adelaide trip, I logged caches for 2.5 days)
I include what find it is for us, I now include the time as the Oregon includes this. I write about my experience. If the cache was crap, I write little about my experience. If it was great or I had a funny experience like a visit from the police or a fall while getting the cache I write more. I then thank the cache owner for the cache or the find (there is a difference) and then note any trackable swaps but these days it is more often than not TNLN. Here is an example from our trip to Bunbury the other day,
This is our 4423rd overall find.

Found at about 6:24 PM. This was to be our last cache for the day and was a tough one to track down. To start with I kept watch while Shell looked then after a few minutes we swapped and I had a look. After 10 minutes I was ready to give up and made the find. This was a top spot and the cache was found just as the sun hit the water.

Thanks to rjm1 for the cache.

TNLNSL
I would have thought people wouldn't have a problem with this log, we at least wrote about our experience and have thanked the owner personally for the cache.

What would you hate about this log more than a nothing log that just says "TFTC"
CraigRat wrote:I know what reply I'd give to some of the emails proposed in this thread (it'd only take 2 words).
I'd say most would just delete them that is why I just give up and just get on with finding a few caches.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 07 October 10 12:25 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
This is our 4423rd overall find.

Found at about 6:24 PM. This was to be our last cache for the day and was a tough one to track down. To start with I kept watch while Shell looked then after a few minutes we swapped and I had a look. After 10 minutes I was ready to give up and made the find. This was a top spot and the cache was found just as the sun hit the water.

Thanks to rjm1 for the cache.

TNLNSL
The majority of your example log is a personally written log (highlighted in bold). I would be very great full to read a log like this on one of my caches.

belken

Post by belken » 07 October 10 1:05 pm

covert wrote:When I started geocaching, one of my first impression I had of the activity was it was full of unwritten "rules", it almost turned me away from geocaching.

By gum. I 100% disagree with just about everything you say.

Those unwritten rules you choose to ignore maybe the the rules you need to listen to. Groundpeak only writes rules for listing on its website. They are not the rules of geocaching. When I choose to list on their website I agree for that listing to comply by their listing rules.

I am the cache police of my caches. I do have rights. If more people cared and stopped hiding behind the feel good, let them play their way garbage we might just keep the hobby respectable

pprass

Post by pprass » 07 October 10 1:45 pm

belken wrote:... If more people cared and stopped hiding behind the feel good, let them play their way garbage we might just keep the hobby respectable
And that is what I am afraid is going to happen. On our recent trip to Melb we heard a lot of grumbles about the locations, type of containers and lazy logs. One main stream player has even pulled out of the game because of what is happening :shock: :cry:

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 07 October 10 2:50 pm

covert wrote:The majority of your example log is a personally written log (highlighted in bold). I would be very great full to read a log like this on one of my caches.
PFEW! I thought I was doing something considered rude, there are times when we write not much but this is normally reflective of the hide, though it could be that we were tired and didn't feel like writing an essay.

It is interesting that you don't consider the thanks to the cache owner as personal. I find this very personal when I get a log that thanks us by name, each to their own though. To me as an owner if I get a log that someone has taken a bit to write about something and thanks us personally then that is what I like. I used to get all hot under the collar but at the end of the day I get far more enjoyment from actually getting out and caching than reading logs, So rather than spending hours on the forums and writing people emails like Peter suggested now I just chill and go out and find another cache.

98 cents change please.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 07 October 10 3:18 pm

Along these lines, I've always thought it'd be nice if there was some 'thanks for the log' feature on GC or GCA.... Sometimes people put wonderful logs on our caches and I'd love to say 'thanks' but another note on the log or an email to them sometimes feels like overkill.... To just press a button which acknowledges the effort would be nice - and I know it'd give us a thrill to receive one....

But maybe that's just getting all too complicated.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 October 10 3:37 pm

Happy Chappies wrote:Along these lines, I've always thought it'd be nice if there was some 'thanks for the log' feature on GC or GCA.... Sometimes people put wonderful logs on our caches and I'd love to say 'thanks' but another note on the log or an email to them sometimes feels like overkill.... To just press a button which acknowledges the effort would be nice - and I know it'd give us a thrill to receive one....

But maybe that's just getting all too complicated.
Interesting idea. Being reformed into a new thread for discussion.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =1&t=15107

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 07 October 10 5:04 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote: PFEW! I thought I was doing something considered rude
Not in my opinion. But even if I did how would you know, would it be my place to tell you ? Would you mind if I deleted your log because I considered your log to be rude ? It is the topic at hand.
Big Matt and Shell wrote:It is interesting that you don't consider the thanks to the cache owner as personal.
Not being a user of GSAK or it's log templates I just made an assumption it was a part of the log template. I have also noticed a increase in the usage of the owners name in the end of logs. I too found it a very personal to see the owners name mentioned at the end. But the proliferation of its use has soiled it's appraisal.

As a cache owner who enjoys to read peoples logs I don't really care how many finds you have or how many this is for the day. The time vaguely interest me on some occasions if I had been in the area. I know your the XX to log, it is my cache.. I don't notice it so much if it is the only log for the team for the day, but when the team has done a few of my caches for the day I end up reading the same log a few times over.

On the other hand you would never get a message from me telling you I don't like your log and I would not think any different of you when we catch up at an event. I would not even remember you ever wrote such a log. My mind is too full of interesting stuff to fill it with crap like that. But if you wrote a interesting log I really enjoyed I would be sure to thank you when we met at an event.

Recently I have been thanked by a cache owner for my interesting logs they enjoyed reading. I intend to make an extra effort to pass of the same type of compliments to other cachers when the same occurs for me.

My opinions are my own and I don't expect people to agree with them and I certainly hope there not taken to heart.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 07 October 10 6:32 pm

covert wrote: <snip>

Not being a user of GSAK or it's log templates I just made an assumption it was a part of the log template. I have also noticed a increase in the usage of the owners name in the end of logs. I too found it a very personal to see the owners name mentioned at the end. But the proliferation of its use has soiled it's appraisal.

<snip>
Oh dear, I also thought my personal thanks showed that I had taken time to know who had hidden the cache, I also take care in ensuring I spell, space and capitalise exactly as the owner respresented on the listing. Maybe I need to start misspelling to show it's not auto-bot created :twisted: