Do I Log A Find?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found

Do I Log A Find?

Post by calumphing_four » 18 September 10 9:23 pm

Hi All,
Knew that this old cache had been archived awhile ago due to lack of maintenance, and I've finally got around to doing the world a favour and picking up the georubbish.
In the pictureImage you can see I found the lid, pencils, rusty pencil sharpeners, bag, soggy logbook and some rubbishy trinkets.

My dilemma now is do I log a find, or just post a note that the contents have been binned, although I'll be trying to dry out the log book?

Any thoughts?

Cheers 8)

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Re: Do I Log A Find?

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 18 September 10 9:25 pm

log it and then bin it

Lucy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Lucy » 18 September 10 9:40 pm

You found it, can sign the log, thus its a find.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 18 September 10 9:54 pm

It is more of a legit find that some of the other stuff thats been discussed in the forums of late!

I'd log it.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 18 September 10 11:35 pm

Bizarre. It's been archived for ages, yet 3 finds before you well after it was archived. Some people must be using some very old GSAK files or something.

You found it, you can log it. Whether you should have removed it is a different question (though I suggest given the lack of owner interest it was the right thing to do unless you felt like replacing it). But that wouldn't work given it was already archived.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 19 September 10 8:24 am

SecretSquirrel-BJC wrote:log it and then bin it
That's what I'd do

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 19 September 10 11:40 am

Nice to see a unamimous outcome. I agree, log it, and post a note after that to say you have removed the container as the owner SHOULD have done on its archeiving. That will stop others going in for a cheeky grab and allow the area to heal. Good job.

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 19 September 10 6:28 pm

I would be carefull about removing it, why Just because the owner is not or has not showen interest in it for a while how are we to say it has not been placed on any other site as it own listing? The owner was larst on the GC site in July which is not that long ago so could not say for sore they have left the game.
Just my thoughts. But yes still can be writen in log book so can still be logged.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 19 September 10 9:35 pm

JABs wrote:I would be carefull about removing it, why Just because the owner is not or has not showen interest in it for a while how are we to say it has not been placed on any other site as it own listing? The owner was larst on the GC site in July which is not that long ago so could not say for sore they have left the game.
Just my thoughts. But yes still can be writen in log book so can still be logged.
Have to back up JAB's. You have just stolen his cache! Yes it is rubbish and needs to be cleaned up but it isn't your property to take. Just a thought...

tronador

Post by tronador » 19 September 10 10:03 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
JABs wrote:I would be carefull about removing it, why Just because the owner is not or has not showen interest in it for a while how are we to say it has not been placed on any other site as it own listing? The owner was larst on the GC site in July which is not that long ago so could not say for sore they have left the game.
Have to back up JAB's. You have just stolen his cache! Yes it is rubbish and needs to be cleaned up but it isn't your property to take. Just a thought...

You could always just replace the container if it is a worthy location. I know of lots of cachers who have done this including my self, if the owner is non responsive. Just think of it as your contribution to the wider geocaching community.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 September 10 10:09 pm

The cache has been archived.
It looks like rubbish to me, regardless of whether it has been listed at another site.
Bin the junk and log a find and state that the cache has been removed.

Richary

Post by Richary » 20 September 10 12:06 am

I agree, if it's trashed it doesn't matter if it's listed at another site. It should have gone. If the owner wants it back they can always PM you. Hang on to anything worth saving from it and bin the rest.

Adrian Mc

Post by Adrian Mc » 20 September 10 5:29 am

This cache was actually my very first ever found cache.

Upon reflection it's not in a spot very worthy of a cache, and I believe the only reason it was put there was due to the Scout/Guide hall just across the road. The interest must have just been a fleeting thing and no scouts/guides or leaders have gone on with caching.

IMHO if the owner is not maintaining the cache and no one wants to replace it, and maintain it, then it is just litter.
More so if the cache has been archived for a while now.
I'd log it as a find then put it straight in the bin.

My $0.02 worth.

o'cholio

Post by o'cholio » 20 September 10 11:17 am

If you found an old lunchbox with someone's name on it, that had been dumped and was obviously serving no purpose other than being litter, would you make an attempt to give it back to the owner, or do the world a favour and just put it in the bin?

The remains of this cache are no different. When owners stop maintaining a cache, and it gets archived but not cleaned up, it becomes, by definition, "LITTER". If the owner wanted it to continue life as a cache, they should've thought about that before it got archived. Caches like this are in direct contradiction to everything that geocaching stands for with regard to environmentalism, and unfortunately it's happening everywhere. CITO? More like CIGABT (Cache In, Gets Abandoned, Becomes Trash).

Good on you for removing it. You should reward yourself with a find.

calumphing_four

Post by calumphing_four » 20 September 10 1:53 pm

o'cholio wrote:....Good on you for removing it. You should reward yourself with a find.
Thanks. I've logged the find and the contents (bar the log book) is in the bin. I should've added initially that the contents were strewn around the ground as though the cache had been muggled at some point.
I do have several other caches I keep in the GPS and the Paperless caching tool which I know have been archived, but suspect the cache may still be there and thus classed as litter.
Unfortunately I cant look for the archived caches that were multis. Such as this one. ](*,)
Cheers 8)