Photos in cache logs, how far do you go?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Photos in cache logs, how far do you go?

Post by Yurt » 09 September 10 6:04 pm

I'm pretty slack with uploading photos to cache logs so don't often get around to it. I will attempt to take a nice scenery shot near or on the way to GZ but I wouldn't take a shot of GZ itself. The exception would be a photo of a TB but as that's a close-up you can't tell anything from it anyway.

Some people take photos of the cache containers, I have no problem with this unless it's a sneaky hide type container but I as wondering if some people wouldn't like shots of their camo covered Sistema or pipe or whatever. If the cache itself is concealed inside something or under a pile of rocks that shouldn't matter but I wonder if people would be concerned if there were photos of their cache containers posted.

I wouldn't support GZ shots, I can't see anyone supporting that though. I've seen older caches with spoiler photos uploaded by the cache owner in the description - you have to click to see them though. That's different of course.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Re: Photos in cache logs, how far do you go?

Post by Philipp » 09 September 10 6:38 pm

Yurt wrote:I was wondering if some people wouldn't like shots of their camo covered Sistema or pipe or whatever
Yes there are some :mrgreen:

the farmers 5
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 09 September 10 6:59 pm

Yurt wrote:I'm pretty slack with uploading photos to cache logs so don't often get around to it. I will attempt to take a nice scenery shot near or on the way to GZ but I wouldn't take a shot of GZ itself. The exception would be a photo of a TB but as that's a close-up you can't tell anything from it anyway.

Some people take photos of the cache containers, I have no problem with this unless it's a sneaky hide type container but I as wondering if some people wouldn't like shots of their camo covered Sistema or pipe or whatever. If the cache itself is concealed inside something or under a pile of rocks that shouldn't matter but I wonder if people would be concerned if there were photos of their cache containers posted.

I wouldn't support GZ shots, I can't see anyone supporting that though. I've seen older caches with spoiler photos uploaded by the cache owner in the description - you have to click to see them though. That's different of course.
Its an interesting point isn't it.We have noticed alot of photo's lately of cache containers with the logs.
As you stated , i would rather see a nice scenery shot of the area if it is worthy of a scenery picture. :D
I can only think of one reason why teams post cache container pics with their logs and that is that they feel the owner might not believe they were actually there......so heres my proof. :shock:
Its a game of honesty and you are not required too.
I think the owner would be most upset if the picture was either A/ At Ground Zero or B/ the camo'ed container itself...eg: fake brick, pipe, fake rock , etc.etc etc. :shock: :? :shock:
Fortunately ,most pictures with logs we notice,the cache has been taken away and placed on a path or on a seat or bench which most owners would accept. :D
Yeah ,alot of Canberra caches have spoiler photos .Most of those are located deep in the mountains within rocks.,but as you state,you still dont have to check out the spoiler . :D I am sure somewhere ,someone has posted a GZ giveaway photo in good faith,but it was probaly deleted quickly by the owner. :D Most cachers would hate to see the exact spot in a photo in the previous finders log .But i am sure a few out there would think this great !! :D :D

squalid
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 09 September 10 7:38 pm

:wink: I have posted GZ photos before... My log for A Watery Transit and my log for Frankston Bypass 2 - by Night. Nobody has ever thanked me for my help though. :-"

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 09 September 10 8:36 pm

squalid wrote::wink: I have posted GZ photos before... My log for A Watery Transit and my log for Frankston Bypass 2 - by Night. Nobody has ever thanked me for my help though. :-"
Thats just not true, Biggles of Oz thanked you. :lol:

squalid

Post by squalid » 09 September 10 9:49 pm

Thats just not true, Biggles of Oz thanked you. :lol:
True! I will continue my efforts,

tronador

Post by tronador » 09 September 10 11:57 pm

squalid wrote::wink: I have posted GZ photos before... My log for A Watery Transit and my log for Frankston Bypass 2 - by Night. Nobody has ever thanked me for my help though. :-"
Now this made me laugh!! =D> =D>

I agree that photos of a camoed cache should not be posted. By all means take photos of a sneaky hide but keep them for yourself and don't spoil the hunt for everyone else.

on4bam

Post by on4bam » 11 September 10 9:58 pm

Some people even post pictures when they DNF. The problem with this http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... fe05decb4c log is that they shouldn't have logged a DNF. #-o
Take a good look at the picture. For those not seeing it I'll post a hint later ](*,)
Last edited by on4bam on 11 September 10 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 11 September 10 10:06 pm

That's a bit embarrassing...

I've logged a picture of the cache container before but only in isolated spots where the cache is more about the location that the container. http://coord.info/GCRVZ0

I know there are some cachers that log a photo on just about everything they find. I know it upsets some, I'd hate for people to do it to one of my tricky hides like http://coord.info/GC1MPQD

tronador

Post by tronador » 11 September 10 11:35 pm

I hate to say this but there is a localish cacher that posts a photo of each cache and GZ with every log. It's almost like a blog, not sure if he realizes each post is a big spoiler for others. As they are not my caches, I've kept quiet but how would you politely mention that this may spoil caching for some people??? :oops: :oops:

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 12 September 10 11:28 am

on4bam wrote:Some people even post pictures when they DNF. The problem with this http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... fe05decb4c log is that they shouldn't have logged a DNF. #-o
Take a good look at the picture. For those not seeing it I'll post a hint later ](*,)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hahaha oh Bless. That's just gold, poor girl, may be time for a new hobby hehehe

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 12 September 10 10:58 pm

There's another photo a bit later on the same cache page, with a kid holding the cache.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 15 September 10 10:47 pm

tronador wrote:I hate to say this but there is a localish cacher that posts a photo of each cache and GZ with every log. It's almost like a blog, not sure if he realizes each post is a big spoiler for others. As they are not my caches, I've kept quiet but how would you politely mention that this may spoil caching for some people??? :oops: :oops:
This sounds very handy, i wonder if this local cacher has been to anywhere useful that I need a bit of help to find :twisted:

WellsInc

Post by WellsInc » 16 September 10 11:03 am

Hi All
I have a photo of one of my caches in the log which is a dead giveaway of the whole cache but I cant figure out how to delete the photo ??
Thanks in advance
Wells Inc

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 16 September 10 11:58 am

I'm not sure you can. I'd email the cacher and ask them to remove it. If you don't get a response and feel that strongly about it then you can delete the whole log. They'll get a note saying that their log has been deleted.

EDIT: If you want to get really technical you can delete the log as they never signed the log book. (but I don't want to open that can of worms again)