CITO event in Mitcham (SA) Council Area

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Conquest
1400 or more caches found

CITO event in Mitcham (SA) Council Area

Post by Team Conquest » 30 August 10 7:45 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Peter and I am from Team Conquest. I am currently doing year eleven at Urrbrae Agricultural High School. As part of my SACE I am doing a compulsory subject called Research Project, in which you research a subject for which you are passionate. I have decided to research Geocaching and how it can help the environment. As part of this I am planning to hold a Cache In Trash out Event, most likely on Sunday, October 10 (amended date). I am intending to interview some of the geocachers who attend (if anyone wants to [-o< ). I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you have about my CITO event or any suggestions about my research topic in general. I am currently talking to the Mitcham Council to see if they can reccomend a suitable site. I hope to see you at the event (wherever that may be).

Bye for now,

Peter, Team Conquest.
Last edited by Team Conquest on 11 September 10 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddo

Re: CITO event in Mitcham (SA) Council Area

Post by Freddo » 30 August 10 10:54 pm

Well done.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 31 August 10 10:45 am

Go for it Peter! =D>

I can't think of very many places that could do with a CITO as the area is fairly well kept but I'm sure the council will have some suggestions.

Team Conquest

Post by Team Conquest » 31 August 10 12:50 pm

Thanks guys

team waldron
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by team waldron » 31 August 10 5:40 pm

Not sure whether its in Mitcham Council but the area around Mitcham Quarry #1 could do with a clean up.

Team Conquest

Post by Team Conquest » 31 August 10 10:37 pm

Good idea, if I don't get a better suggestion from the council, that would do it... plenty of rubbish there.

stanley
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by stanley » 02 September 10 6:34 pm

Hi Peter
Great idea. I would have been happy for you to interview me but I will on my way back from Canada that weekend. Mr S might be able to go to your CITO without me.

Have a look at some past CITO events that have been archived for ideas about how to set it up. Good luck with it and your research project.

Team Conquest

Post by Team Conquest » 11 September 10 2:05 pm

Thanks everyone.

I was just wondering
(a) has anyone contacted a local council about holding a CITO event and if so
(b) what has happened with the issue of insurance?

I am currently going through the motions with the Mitcham Council, who have sent me an 11 page event form and most of my answers to the questions simply will be 'no' because this is not a major event run by an organization with insurance, money and 1st aid officers...

I shall now hold the event at Shepherds Hill Recreation Park on Sunday, October 10. I went there today and there is lots of light rubbish scattered along the banks of the creek system, just off Ayliffes Road.

Mrs Parrot

Post by Mrs Parrot » 12 September 10 12:01 am

Hi Peter
The June long weekend events always have a CITO event attached as part of our committment to maintain the areas we cache in. Insurance and notifying council have not been something we have done (at least for the events we have been involved in). I have investigated the insurance aspect and it would cost $1,000 for $10 mill cover which is the minimum you can get and also it is difficult to find someone who will cover such an event given its a one off . Perhaps you could contact Kesab cleanup Australia as to what they suggest-Scargoes usually hold a cito for cleanup Australia day so they might have have some hints
All the best with the research

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 12 September 10 12:45 am

Why involve the council?

Wouldn't GS's disclaimer be enough to let participants be aware of all the dangers involved in the event?

Team Conquest

Post by Team Conquest » 13 September 10 5:45 pm

J_&_J wrote:Why involve the council?

Wouldn't GS's disclaimer be enough to let participants be aware of all the dangers involved in the event?
The main reason I was involving the council was to find out if they could suggest a suitable site, however, I think there were a few miscommunications along the way...

Team Conquest

Post by Team Conquest » 21 August 11 3:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I have just found out that I got an A- for my research project. So, I just wanted to reiterate my thanks to everyone who helped out last year with the interviews and the cleanup (and the people who answered my questions on this forum) for helping to make my project work.

Cheers,

Peter - Team Conquest.