Muggles that cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
grahamf72
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Re: Muggles that cache

Post by grahamf72 » 31 August 10 8:00 pm

Yurt wrote:
I'm still amazed at how many "one-off" cachers have caches that have lasted for years. There's one with the memorable name of "geocaching.com small round tub" placed by a guy with no finds and one hide. It's still there and being found now and again. I always love how people say in their logs "Thanks [cacher name]" when you might as well be thanking the rock it sits in for all the cache owner will respond! His only visit to GC.com was to submit the cache nearly six years ago.
I wonder if it is a different identity that was used by someone more experienced. If you look at The Ump & iRiblit's profiles you'd be forgiven for thinking they were terribly inexperienced.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 31 August 10 8:42 pm

Damo. wrote:I just checked on my 10th anniversary cache today and found it had been logged twice by some muggles that had the game explained to them by a previous finder. From their log they came back later that night and then checked in again a month later and added a shell to the cache! Bless 'em.
I don't think they have done any more caching since then though.
I know the cache and I know the Muggles... I was the one who told them about it... well, more showed it to them as the came up the hill as I was signing the log. They were friendly so I explained the game to them :)

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 31 August 10 10:50 pm

Zalgariath wrote: I know the cache and I know the Muggles... I was the one who told them about it... well, more showed it to them as the came up the hill as I was signing the log. They were friendly so I explained the game to them :)
Yep. Andrea, Belinda and James.

belken

Post by belken » 23 September 10 8:36 pm

allrounder wrote:Just to go off topic for a second! Given that the pre-loaded GPSrs are only good for geocaching wouldn't the buyers of these units be considered geocachers rather than muggles?
From another thread.

I believe it takes more than a GPS and a willingness to find some tupperware that will make you a geocacher. Whilst all buyers of the GPS have potential to ne geocachers there is a just as much potential they will not be geocachers. or be an anti geocacher. I would rather a person gets introduced by an existing member and actually get a run through.

Some changes I have seen happen within geocaching seems to be from people that get tired of geocaching and then try and use the database, gps, and our caches for something different.

Groundspeaks decision to claim a geocache is a container with at least a log book was bad. Power trails are not necessarily a bad thing but the 1,000 containers with log books placed down a dirt road is. People who want to find as many geocachers as they can in one day is not necessarily a bad thing. Doing it when it compromises c aches is. Or creating said power trail to satisfy a hunger for numbers is.

It is OK for geocaching to evolve but there is a limit. If you are tired of geocaching then move onto something else.

allrounder
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by allrounder » 23 September 10 11:27 pm

belken wrote:I believe it takes more than a GPS and a willingness to find some tupperware that will make you a geocacher. Whilst all buyers of the GPS have potential to ne geocachers there is a just as much potential they will not be geocachers. or be an anti geocacher. I would rather a person gets introduced by an existing member and actually get a run through.
Under that idea, how would a potential cacher get introduced by an existing "member"?? How would they know even know where to find members??

In my case, I was doing some research on the 'net as I had a fitness GPS watch and came across the word "geocaching"...I had a look around the geocaching.com site and off I went (along with two friends)...I joined geocaching.com.au after that but didn't meet other cachers until much later on...

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 24 September 10 1:03 am

Today I took my two nephews who live in Ballarat, but are staying with my in-laws, out caching for the afternoon.
They found nine caches in the Cheltenham, Sandringham, Highett area and signed the logs as "The Ballarat Boys".
They are primary school age and might become cachers one day, but today it was an exercise in getting them outside and having some fun.
They won't be logging them on-line as they are a bit young just now, but they loved following the arrow and finding the caches.
They found the following caches, and had a great time. By the time we got home, they had moved on to other things, so we took the dog for a walk along the beach
and climbed around the rocks under the Red Bluff. After this they were ready for dinner and I was exhausted. Jessie our dalmatian thought the whole thing was fantastic!
Anyway, the result was that these caches will have cache log entries but no GC.com log entries. :roll:

Balcombe Bushland (Mine)
Monument To Safety (Mine)
Two Good Walks Spoiled (Mine)
Tiptoe through the Tulips
Hey There Georgie Girl
Lyle's Legacy
Tower of Death
Heathland By The Bay (Mine)
Nature Will Find A Way

Earthbound Chief
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by Earthbound Chief » 25 September 10 12:15 am

At least the boys didn't find Yacht Squadron!!

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 25 September 10 1:30 am

No, Yacht Squadron finders are a small but elite group. #-o

belken

Post by belken » 25 September 10 9:18 am

gmj3191 wrote:Today I took my two nephews who live in Ballarat, but are staying with my in-laws, out caching for the afternoon.
They found nine caches in the Cheltenham, Sandringham, Highett area and signed the logs as "The Ballarat Boys".
They are primary school age and might become cachers one day, but today it was an exercise in getting them outside and having some fun.
They won't be logging them on-line as they are a bit young just now, but they loved following the arrow and finding the caches.
They found the following caches, and had a great time. By the time we got home, they had moved on to other things, so we took the dog for a walk along the beach
and climbed around the rocks under the Red Bluff. After this they were ready for dinner and I was exhausted. Jessie our dalmatian thought the whole thing was fantastic!
Anyway, the result was that these caches will have cache log entries but no GC.com log entries. :roll:

Balcombe Bushland (Mine)
Monument To Safety (Mine)
Two Good Walks Spoiled (Mine)
Tiptoe through the Tulips
Hey There Georgie Girl
Lyle's Legacy
Tower of Death
Heathland By The Bay (Mine)
Nature Will Find A Way
So whats your point as far as this thread goes. This thread deals with those people that cache that really don't like caching as accepted.

I see absolutely no correlation to what you have described. Maybe the title of the thread should read muggles that call themselves cachers.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 25 September 10 10:58 am

I'm sorry, let me explain for you.
I was putting this little tale up as an example of muggles caching - people who cache once but don't necessary follow all the rules and may never cache again.

belken

Post by belken » 25 September 10 12:30 pm

I understand that. But they are not the ones that concern me. I have my own tales of muggles that find caches with no problems.

The muggles that concern me are those that have an account at gc.com. They may well have a couple of hundred finds logged under their belt but they are still not geocachers.

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 25 September 10 12:58 pm

belken wrote:They may well have a couple of hundred finds logged under their belt but they are still not geocachers.
So how does one migrate from being a muggle, to a fully fledged geocacher?

belken

Post by belken » 25 September 10 1:51 pm

GhostGums wrote:
belken wrote:They may well have a couple of hundred finds logged under their belt but they are still not geocachers.
Read the opening post.

1 find can make a geocacher.

The opening post is about those people that claim to be geocachers but by their very actions show they are not.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 25 September 10 6:36 pm

belken wrote:
GhostGums wrote:
Read the opening post.

1 find can make a geocacher.

The opening post is about those people that claim to be geocachers but by their very actions show they are not.
My main concern with this was, and still is, by who's definition is someone "not a geocacher"? Several of the examples in the opening post I would not consider automatically making someone "not a geocacher". I would not consider myself to be in a position to decide for others whether their specific geocaching behaviour is worthy of being called a geocacher.
If someone has an account, finds geocaches, and puts their name in the log book, and otherwise follows the guidelines, who has the right to decided they're still not really a geocacher because they don't fit into a particular ideal?

belken

Post by belken » 25 September 10 8:36 pm

Team Wibble wrote:
My main concern with this was, and still is, by who's definition is someone "not a geocacher"? Several of the examples in the opening post I would not consider automatically making someone "not a geocacher". I would not consider myself to be in a position to decide for others whether their specific geocaching behaviour is worthy of being called a geocacher.
If someone has an account, finds geocaches, and puts their name in the log book, and otherwise follows the guidelines, who has the right to decided they're still not really a geocacher because they don't fit into a particular ideal?
Let me ask you this. Is there no behaviour you believe is unnaceptable.

I didn't say that any individual example counted. I didn't say if they followed accepted guidelines they weren't geocachers.

You do have and ideal of geocaching. There is a line you will not cross. Is this line covered by a guideline? Should it be? IS the geocachers creed an option or a guideline?

one example. Do you believe that people who log caches(never visiting) from their armchair in another country are really geocachers?

I am arrogant enough to believe I do have the right to decide. The line for me may be a bit more set than yours.