Waterproof Sistema? Doesn't look likely

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
darth trader
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: darthtrader77

Re: Waterproof Sistema? Doesn't look likely

Post by darth trader » 01 March 11 8:37 pm

roundcircle wrote:Whilst I really like the humble Sistema, they don't pass the Beetroot test.

The Beetroot test: Empty a can of Beetroot and juice into the container to be tested. Seal the container. Then tip the container on it's side. It's pretty obvious if the container has a good seal or not.

When I've performed this test in my fridge, I've had to clean the fridge.

If you want a really solid water proof container, get an ammo can.

I wonder if an ammo can would fit in my fridge.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

'Rite in the Rain' Type Paper for Caches

Post by pjmpjm » 02 March 11 1:59 am

Has anyone experimented with this kind of paper?

How effective is it?

Am going to be using some for my new caches.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 March 11 7:53 am

I have and we sell it in the shop on a per page basis.
http://geocaching.com.au/shop/index.php ... duct_id=72

The manufacturer claims the paper to be waterproof, but Geocaching Australia hasn't tested the veracity of that claim.

Tests show that pencil works well and when the paper isn't soaked, ballpoint pens also work well. If the paper is completely soaked, writing with a ballpoint pen may leave some smears, but hey, at least you can write on it unlike standard paper.

Would I leave the sheet in water for days, months, years? Probably not. To keep the log sheet more than usable for the occasional water ingress or where it might get rained on, I would say it more than stands up to the task.

I had a sheet in a micro (magnetic key hider) for about a year with NO additional plastic bag. Just the sheet by itself. At the end of the day when I had to archive the cache, the paper was as good as the day I put it in. I laser printed the heading NAME | DATE on the top of the sheet and it was still there, almost as good as new.

I still have a cache out in the wild which is somewhat out of the rain (it's magnetic under a box, but is just the sheet of paper and a magnetic sheet) and that's been there for years. The writing tends to fade (as would any writing in that environment), but the paper is still very usable.

From my own perspective, it is great. Do not try and make a log "book" out of it. i.e. Don't fold, cut and staple the sheets together. The paper is more than fine, the staples rust :-)

I have never used the rite in the rain log books as they are expensive and the steel binding ring will rust over time, but the paper will be fine.

That's my 2 cents worth.

kennythe1st

Re: 'Rite in the Rain' Type Paper for Caches

Post by kennythe1st » 02 March 11 7:54 am

pjmpjm wrote:Has anyone experimented with this kind of paper? How effective is it? Am going to be using some for my new caches.
Kia ora pjmpjm

I am gradually replacing logs in my exposed caches with a similar substrate (Pretex, which you cannot buy in OZ) and have used another waterproof 'paper' for years during mapping in the field. Rite in the Rain has similar water resistant attributes and should work well.

You can very easily test it very rigorously at home to ensure both the 'paper' and writing/print do stay fast. Turn to page 2 at http://www.mapsport.net.au/Pretex%20a%2 ... thetic.pdf for a photo of the test machine and process :D

Stay dry, Kenny

pjmpjm
Twitter: Booroobin

Testing 'Rite in the Rain' Type Paper

Post by pjmpjm » 02 March 11 4:50 pm

kennythe1st wrote:
pjmpjm wrote:Has anyone experimented with this kind of paper? How effective is it? Am going to be using some for my new caches.
Kia ora pjmpjm

I am gradually replacing logs in my exposed caches with a similar substrate (Pretex, which you cannot buy in OZ) and have used another waterproof 'paper' for years during mapping in the field. Rite in the Rain has similar water resistant attributes and should work well.

You can very easily test it very rigorously at home to ensure both the 'paper' and writing/print do stay fast. Turn to page 2 at http://www.mapsport.net.au/Pretex%20a%2 ... thetic.pdf for a photo of the test machine and process :D

Stay dry, Kenny
Many thanks, Kenny. Will definitely try this one at home.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 09 March 11 2:19 pm

pjmpjm wrote:Has anyone experimented with this kind of paper?

How effective is it?

I use it in most of my micro caches, but beware that if you buy the blank sheets with the intention of printing your own log sheets that you have to use a laser printer, since inkjet ink is water based it doesn't stick...

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 09 March 11 4:41 pm

mtbikeroz wrote:I have a tupperware container at elevation 1860m, placed in Nov 2001. It is placed under a HUGE boulder in a large open space, but it can be reached by reaching in a mere one metre. Head room a good 400mm. It is exposed to the North. It is sitting there in PLAIN VIEW and has been for 9 yrs, getting the winter sun too, and rain & SNOW.

It has even had approx the same number of muggle entries, 15-20 OR SO, AND THERE IS NO CLIP LOCK ETC ETC. Log book inside has never been wet. It is a 2 bread loaf size container, cost a bit back then, have checked on it 3 times after fires & rains, all good.
Would this cache be "#28 Great Southern Land: (2) The Paramount Peak." (CG26E4)

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 10 March 11 8:55 am

garnercx wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:I have a tupperware container at elevation 1860m, placed in Nov 2001. It is placed under a HUGE boulder in a large open space, but it can be reached by reaching in a mere one metre. Head room a good 400mm. It is exposed to the North. It is sitting there in PLAIN VIEW and has been for 9 yrs, getting the winter sun too, and rain & SNOW.

It has even had approx the same number of muggle entries, 15-20 OR SO, AND THERE IS NO CLIP LOCK ETC ETC. Log book inside has never been wet. It is a 2 bread loaf size container, cost a bit back then, have checked on it 3 times after fires & rains, all good.
Would this cache be "#28 Great Southern Land: (2) The Paramount Peak." (CG26E4)
No. Paramount Peak is an ammo can, placed by someone else.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 March 11 9:04 am

norkmeister wrote:
pjmpjm wrote:Has anyone experimented with this kind of paper?

How effective is it?

I use it in most of my micro caches, but beware that if you buy the blank sheets with the intention of printing your own log sheets that you have to use a laser printer, since inkjet ink is water based it doesn't stick...
Or photocopy.
i.e. If you only have an ink jet printer, print on standard paper then take it to work and photocopy it :mrgreen:

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 10 March 11 3:12 pm

SamCarter wrote:No. Paramount Peak is an ammo can, placed by someone else.
Der! I forgot to look at the next page. It's obviously "A long way to the top".

BUT - seeing your name made me realise I still haven't got "SamCarter and Fudge", so I brought up the cache listing and had a look.

I got called away and as I walked back to my desk - it hit me. Very nice work. I like! I'll grab it this weekend.