The Beginings of a Crazy Idea... B&W Assault - Oct/Nov 2010

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

The Beginings of a Crazy Idea... B&W Assault - Oct/Nov 2010

Post by Zalgariath » 21 August 10 2:46 pm

B&W Power Trail - Oct/Nov 2010

Ok Guys so here is the Lightbulb. :idea: We are all thinking it... but who is actually able to step up to the plate? :?:

The B&W Power Trail (haha) has been set by an amazing feat of organisation and research. It has been set to be found and Im sure most of the Melbourne ones are logged several times already. But who is going to chase them all the way? Do you have what it takes to attempt the perhaps slightly insane task of trying to knock over the biggest cache series in this country?

In October/November I have 6 weeks off. I am having surgury on my shoulder on Sept 30th and will have nothing to do but sit around and read books / glare at screens... maybe grab a cache or fourty two. While this sounds nice... Ive had a better idea... albeit slightly insane.... After a few weeks recovery I am serious when I propose I wish to attempt the majority of the series (might have to save the Tassie one for later :P) It will take a lot of research and planning (especially heading into the wet season up north) so here is my proposal.

I want to assmble a small team of ideally 6-8 cachers

The safest option would be two 4x4 vehicles, either hired, or owned... I do not personally have a 4x4.
A route (due to the wet season) probably starting in CAIRNS, QLD and ending in Melbourne, VIC... we shall complete the leg B&W could not! :shock:
Such an expedition would take approximately 3-4 weeks covering between 4,500-5,000km. (ONE WAY)
Camping (something I am good at!) will be the way of life.
Costings are something to be worked out, may vary greatly, the major expences being fuel, food, 4x4 Hire, and getting to/from your place to Cairns and back from Melb. This will not be a very cheap trip, but shoudnt break the bank.

I know already the biggest obsticle to most will not be desire... but time. Luckily I have a bit of that... but rest assured, in true "Power Trail" style this trip will be conducted as Fast as is Safely Possible. Sight seeing YES, lounging around rest days NO... well not often ;)

So there you have it... the bare bones. I hope to bring this to anorexia stage soon and really start packing on some meat in the next month.

If you have the TIME, the DESIRE, and the slighty damaged MENTAL FACUILTY to want in... the floor is open. FYI I am Sydney based, so planning meetings most likely to be held online.

Cheers All! Zalgariath

Barndillo
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: tom_guy

Re: The Beginings of a Crazy Idea... B&W Assault - Oct/Nov 2010

Post by Barndillo » 21 August 10 2:50 pm

That would be an awesome trip but I'll be unable to cruise along. Zer0 A/L balance (and need to save what I can for xmas) and two under 2 #-o make this one out of action for me!

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 21 August 10 4:07 pm

Sounds like fun!
Are you taking a boat? B&W took a boat. :lol:

pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by pwags » 21 August 10 5:07 pm

Damo. wrote:Sounds like fun!
Are you taking a boat? B&W took a boat. :lol:
They also took a bathtub and a huge Chinese gong!

I look forward to reading the logs on your way!

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 21 August 10 5:18 pm

Spare camels to eat?

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 21 August 10 6:00 pm

Desire to tag along is something I know I have a lot of, however, time and money will be my downfall. This power trail is definitely on my to-do list. I hope it works out for you Zalgariath.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 22 August 10 12:32 am

I have two weeks off from 24th Sept- 11th October........ I would have come for part of the way, especially if you were starting from up north....... BUT it's too bad you are leaving after I have to go back to work.
Good luck on your expedition.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 22 August 10 2:25 am

Yes unfortunately because of my surgury (and work) I wont be able to leave until mid october when I have recovered a bit :(

iamapom

Post by iamapom » 22 August 10 7:29 pm

And a dining table and 6 chairs. And several hundred pounds of sugar.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 22 August 10 7:30 pm

iamapom wrote:And a dining table and 6 chairs. And several hundred pounds of sugar.
Of course you'd have to take that.
We are not savages.

:lol:

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 22 August 10 10:29 pm

Yes yes thanks for the supplies tips :D But who is actually wanting to come haha :?:

We cant all have real jobs and kids right :shock:

I cant do this alone people :-k

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » 23 August 10 1:02 am

Zalgariath wrote:Yes yes thanks for the supplies tips :D But who is actually wanting to come haha :?:

We cant all have real jobs and kids right :shock:

I cant do this alone people :-k
I have neither of those \:D/ I also have no money as a result. I would be keen to make it happen, but well I am all but positive that I can't do it by mid October. October 2011 I would definitely pencil my name on the list though.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 23 August 10 11:56 am

No kids yet, but one due shortly after your proposed trip.
The response from the pregnant wife would be "I won't be here when you get back" if I told her I was going off for 3 or 4 weeks. [-X
(Well that was her response when I said I was going to apply for The Amazing Race - Australia without her!) :lol:

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 23 August 10 3:41 pm

Zalgariath wrote:.. But who is actually wanting to come haha :?
We are committed with family events around that time, however we are thinking of doing something similar next year.
It would be a fantastic trip, but bear in mind that it is the start of the monsoonal season, which would make it very difficult moving about up north.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 23 August 10 11:10 pm

It would be fun but might be a bit soon to organise. I think a trip like that would take a fair bit of planning especially as the northern caches of the series are all virtuals where the locations may not be exact. Also if the wet comes early you could find yourself somewhere it is very hard to get out of. I would think a better time would be spring next year.

Most people who would like to do it (or should do it) would be experienced 4WDers, and you would want to have a couple of people in the group with capable vehicles and suitable recovery equipment like winches, high lift jacks and so on - which you are unlikely to find on a rental vehicle.

The other thing with a trip like this is the need to maintain flexibility. I did a trip up the Strezlecki Track a few years ago with 2 other like minded cars, and while we planned a rough itinerary over the 9 days we were away, we were always aware that we needed to be able to adjust to things like road conditions changing, or the need for repairs. We had one car towing a camper trailer that needed some welding in Innamincka for the towbar, luckily a job that could be completed fairly quickly in the place. But if something happens in a more remote location it may be that the group needs to split, with some people making a run to get help while the others stay put.

Preparation is the key to a big trip like this. How much drinking water will you need to carry? Work out the number of litres per day you will be between towns where you can refill, then add a good margin for safety. How much food do you need with the same calculation, and how will you keep it fresh? Small outback towns won't have the capability to vacseal meat, and if too small for a proper supermarket or butcher might just sell bulk frozen meat. And eating tins for a few weeks would get pretty tedious.

What is the distance between fuel, remembering that a car that gets say 500km on a full tank like mine under normal conditions may well use twice as much on soft sand. It's not a trivial excercise, remember you are going to be in places where help isn't as simple as a phone call to the NRMA or dialling 000. If worst case scenario someone has a bad accident you will need a satphone or car equipped with HF radio to yell for help and hope there is somewhere nearby the RFDS can put down (which could be 100km away). Preferably both forms of communication in different vehicles.

Spend some time googling the route and see if you can find trip notes for the places you want to go. A site like exploroz would be a great starting place to see what notes have been posted, and ask in the forums there what conditions are like both recently and at the time of year you are thinking of.