Identical generated logs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Echo
1800 or more caches found

Identical generated logs

Post by Echo » 10 August 10 1:17 pm

Has anyone else noticed an increase in cut & paste logs?

During the last few weeks we have had a few come through and for us it seems to suck some of the fun out of hiding caches. After puting in the effort to hide a cache in a reasonable area and maintaining it you would think that a small comment wouldn't be a huge ask would it? We normally assume that if the log is a cut & paste then the hide must have not been worth the effort of a comment.

It would be nice from a hiders perspective if finders didn't always use an identical generated response for every log. Hiders generally get a kick out of reading individual experiences and/or an idea of the cache condition and/or feedback on what people think of the cache.

If there is no feedback for the hiders then there is no incentive hide them or make them better... :cry:

Black Bunny

Re: Identical generated logs

Post by Black Bunny » 10 August 10 1:38 pm

I agree with you, but I must admit that on occasion I have been guilty of cut-and-paste logs, too. This usually happens when we have done a LOT of caches in one day, and the details run together a bit. I enjoy doing a few caches, and having fun with it, and looking around, but Steve is more about the numbers, so sometimes we do a real run of caches.

Wendy

team waldron
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by team waldron » 10 August 10 2:19 pm

But you dont put them out for them, you put them out for the rest who do appreciate the hide.

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found

Post by Wingaap » 10 August 10 3:36 pm

Echo....couldnt agree more.

Mind you the "find x of xxx for the day" arent high on my appreciation list either.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 10 August 10 3:42 pm

Wingaap wrote:Mind you the "find x of xxx for the day" arent high on my appreciation list either.
I did this on my recent trip to Brisbane but I also try to write a bit of a story about what I saw and thank the person that placed the cache. I will say through there were a few that blurred into each other! With 102 in a day and 200+ for the trip it's hard to differentiate between some by the time your get home.

Echo

Post by Echo » 10 August 10 4:24 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
Wingaap wrote:Mind you the "find x of xxx for the day" arent high on my appreciation list either.
I did this on my recent trip to Brisbane but I also try to write a bit of a story about what I saw and thank the person that placed the cache. I will say through there were a few that blurred into each other! With 102 in a day and 200+ for the trip it's hard to differentiate between some by the time your get home.
I have no problems with the x of xx for the day in the logs, infact I do that too, but then I also try to put in something about the cache.
102 in one day though... Wouldn't be a problem for me, I only do those numbers in my sleep! :-"

I'm just hoping that some of the newer members out there don't pick up "short cuts".

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 10 August 10 4:45 pm

I loathe and detest TFTC and have never written it BUT it's a free country and people can do whatever they please. Don't ask me to like it though.

I do think one of the things that puts me off a big caching run is doing all the online logs afterwards though!
I don't have a problem with cache x of xxx though, gives you an idea that they were doing a run in the area.

Wingaap

Post by Wingaap » 10 August 10 5:00 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:

No...what I was referring to is when the log consists of nothing but "find x of xxx for the day"

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 August 10 5:13 pm

Blame GSAK and the wonder macros for that stuff.
In the olden days we would carve our logs onto stone tablets and send them in via carrier pigeon.
Nothing automated to cut and paste.
In my day, cut was with scissors and paste was with glue.
The kids these days, sheesh. Luxury.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 10 August 10 5:27 pm

poo to GSAK macros. where's the fun in pointless logs? And not just for the cache owner....

I can't wait to get home from a cache and write the story of the find.... And then re-reading them during boring work periods. :) I was guilty of pretty short logs in our earlier finds, but I've learned as we've gone along and now am annoyed when I look back at my logs there and think "what was that one about then???"

I'll only put a shortish (but not that short) log these days when there's really nothing to say about the experience (or I'd rather forget about it!)....

Mind you, I do respect immensely those who write long logs in the logbook itself. My hat off to you. =D> I'd like to, but always feel too pressed for time/distracted by kids/too cold to hold pencil and write properly/writing too eligible/wonder if anyone will ever actually read it to write more than the minimal.

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 10 August 10 5:35 pm

Wingaap wrote:No...what I was referring to is when the log consists of nothing but "find x of xxx for the day"
Good to see that there are others that are getting annoyed with this practice and are disappointed with such poor habits by some cachers.

As per my forum post last week - Love/Hate - this is definately on our hate list:
8. Receiving logs that say nothing about the cachers experience, or just some inane anagram.

Lets hope that some read this thread and pick some tips up.

BTW - does anyone ever send an email to the authors of those brief and sometimes insulting logs asking them where the rest of the log is :roll:

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 10 August 10 6:01 pm

pprass wrote: BTW - does anyone ever send an email to the authors of those brief and sometimes insulting logs asking them where the rest of the log is :roll:
And if you got a response saying that their mum taught them "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" how would you respond?

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 10 August 10 6:27 pm

The wonderful thing about longish detailed logs is that they can be a pleasure to read when you are researching some new caches. In this area I'll always enjoy reading Altaire's logs as they always tell a story. I do enjoy the old Tangles logs not for the details but they are usually funny. Ruffasgutts always tells you what he thinks about a cache too. The odd cacher always writes in verse which can be good fund too. You could probably start a thread on your favourite logs by geocachers although it's probably been done before.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 10 August 10 6:36 pm

pprass wrote: As per my forum post last week - Love/Hate - this is definately on our hate list:
8. Receiving logs that say nothing about the cachers experience, or just some inane anagram.
I don't know, I'd find an anagram (even an inane one) pretty clever in a log. An acronym on the other hand.... :mrgreen:

I don't like cut and paste logs either, although I admit I've been guilty of short, non specific logs when I've found large numbers in a trip and honestly can't remember anything about that specific cache (although I try to relate something about the day in general). I've also written some very short logs on some pretty crap caches where I believe if you don't have anything to say, don't say anything at all.

But it drives me nuts when I put a lot of effort into a cache, that has, for example, a puzzle to solve, hike to GZ and an unusual cache container, and I get a log from someone that consists entirely of "TFTC" or "found with <another team>".
These are usually from newbie teams though and I hope that they eventually learn that people appreciate reading about their experiences finding the cache and start to write more detailed logs.

I've also noticed recently an increase in logs on my caches that consist entirely of "sent from my iPhone" - nothing else. And not from newbie cachers known for short logs either. I assume these are from people logging straight from the app and that they plan to go back and write a little more. At least, I'm living in hope that they do!

But, as others have said, people are within their rights to write logs like this. I'm within my rights to be disappointed. And each cut and paste log I receive only serves to remind me to consider what the hider would like to read when logging caches myself.

the farmers 5
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 10 August 10 6:55 pm

Yurt wrote:I loathe and detest TFTC and have never written it BUT it's a free country and people can do whatever they please. Don't ask me to like it though.

Couldnt agree more with some of the comments here. :shock:

Irrespective of how plain or average you might think of the cache ,the location, or the swaps in a cache , is rude to insult the hider with a " cut and paste " repeated log, as the same thing in a series of finds. [-X

If the hider has gone to the trouble of placing the cache,all finders should show some respect . Alot will say...."Oh,i couldnt think of anything to say". [-X
rubbish.....there is always something you can state differently at each find about the A/ Trek to GZ . B/ Weather conditions. C/ How long it took. D/ Nice hide E/ Good swaps. F/ Scenic location. and plenty of other ideas. :D :D
Every team finds what they think is a plain or average cache at times,but you should show the courtesy to the placer no matter what ,as long as its legal. :D
Writing TFTC or a "Cut and Paste ' all comes under one word......LAZY.

Most days its a pleasure at times to just browse around the states and read logs on all the latest caches especially where there has been an adventure. =D> =D>