Identical generated logs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pprass
10000 or more caches found

Re: Identical generated logs

Post by pprass » 10 August 10 7:26 pm

Damo. wrote:And if you got a response saying that their mum taught them "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" how would you respond?
Well to begin with we are talking about the "cut/paste" jobs where all of the logs are the same by the cacher - so they disliked all of them?? Pretty hard to believe I must say and I am sure you would find it hard to believe that they didn't like any of them as well. Also I would say that I am interested to know why they didn't have anything nice to say because if there was a problem we would try to rectify it.

You see I reckon this is exactly the type of mentality that is going to drag the game down - ie don't say anything if it is not a good cache. If we come across a cache that is poor we will say so - we aren't afraid to give constructive criticism to try and tell the cache owner why it is not such a great cache. If we all do nothing in these circumstances we will simply propagate the same.

Phenom_Walking

Post by Phenom_Walking » 10 August 10 7:34 pm

As a newbie i am reading a lot of these posts for hints and advice. Just to clarify the topic for me- are you talking about logging them on the site or in the little book in the cache?

pprass

Post by pprass » 10 August 10 7:49 pm

Phenom_Walking wrote:... are you talking about logging them on the site or in the little book in the cache?
We are talking about logging on the GC or GCA web sites. Most cachers used to write a few words in the actual log book, but then found that the books were getting filled up too quickly and not many cachers were reading the comments there in any case.

Hope this discussion reaches a few more :)

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 10 August 10 8:14 pm

I not sure that logging the short logs is intended. Some of the local teams are using iPhones or some other smart phone and it looks like there is a standard response from the mobile application.
It could simply be that people are using the new technology without fully understanding the ramifications. (or how it works)
I vaguely remember trying something on my first smartphone many years ago and it wasn't really obvious what was happening when you logged a find via the phone. And unless you have full qwerty keyboard it's not really easy to write stuff if you have that option.
I'm not defending what's happening, just another explanation, based on how crappy software typically is these days.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 10 August 10 8:17 pm

I used to write a fair bit in the paper logs but as time has gone on I've put more into the online logs instead. With a lot of micros there's no opportunity of course but if it's a nice spot and we're only doing a couple for the day I might write a bit more. Of course if the logbook is damp/wet... :evil:

So what's your verbosity?
Mine: 87 words on average.
Shortest: 11 words (and it was one of the crappier micros I've seen but maybe I should have said more.)
Longest: 553 words (an experience)

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 10 August 10 8:18 pm

I have to agree with the comments - it really is disappointing to receive a very terse log for a cache you've put effort into placing.

However, my caching partner doesn't have internet at home so all logs must be done at work but before or after hours. When work hours go from 6:30am to 6pm (owning your own business is always full on), he's often too tired at the end of the day to do any logging other than "found with blossom". I can understand that and I can see that there are probably some others out there in a similar situation.

I always try to write a longish description of our experience but, since it was pretty well idetical for both of us, there's often not more he could have added anyway.

PS C@W, I don't think you're old enough to remember the days when we didn't have computers in every office and home. I am though :?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 10 August 10 8:28 pm

Zytheran wrote:I not sure that logging the short logs is intended. Some of the local teams are using iPhones or some other smart phone and it looks like there is a standard response from the mobile application.
It could simply be that people are using the new technology without fully understanding the ramifications. (or how it works)
I vaguely remember trying something on my first smartphone many years ago and it wasn't really obvious what was happening when you logged a find via the phone. And unless you have full qwerty keyboard it's not really easy to write stuff if you have that option.
I'm not defending what's happening, just another explanation, based on how crappy software typically is these days.
That's a good point. The iPhone application can log directly or save as a field note. I usually save my logs as a field note so I can add more text and later and have the correct date on my logs but I have inadvertently saved and uploaded a log with just the boilerplate "sent from my iPhone". I edited it later but the owner would have already received the 'insulting' notification and wouldn't see my edited log unless they checked it on the cache page.

nibbler
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by nibbler » 10 August 10 9:22 pm

A pointless caches = pointless log :-#

blackie_71

Post by blackie_71 » 10 August 10 10:58 pm

nibbler wrote:A pointless caches = pointless log :-#
I'd like to see more logs actually saying that a cache was a crappy experience if thats what it was. Instead of the usual "Found GZ pretty easily, signed the log TFTC" how about saying "Found GZ pretty easily, just another unimaginative hollow log in the middle of nowhere, Cache was a crappy film container with a cracked lid, log was wet. Cache owner obviously too stingy and lazy to place a decent cache, thanks for taking an hour of my life that I won't get back"

We are just too nice sometimes, lets tell it like it is!!

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 10 August 10 11:49 pm

blackie_71 wrote:
nibbler wrote:A pointless caches = pointless log :-#
I'd like to see more logs actually saying that a cache was a crappy experience if thats what it was. Instead of the usual "Found GZ pretty easily, signed the log TFTC" how about saying "Found GZ pretty easily, just another unimaginative hollow log in the middle of nowhere, Cache was a crappy film container with a cracked lid, log was wet. Cache owner obviously too stingy and lazy to place a decent cache, thanks for taking an hour of my life that I won't get back"

We are just too nice sometimes, lets tell it like it is!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: That is not very nice!! [-X Constructive criticism would be much more polite. Isn't this one big happy geocaching family, where everyone is nice to one another?

pprass

Post by pprass » 11 August 10 12:06 am

tronador wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: That is not very nice!! [-X Constructive criticism would be much more polite. Isn't this one big happy geocaching family, where everyone is nice to one another?
I think that was being somewhat facetious - however I have heard a lot of cachers who would love to say something similar?

Yes - you are right that constructive criticism is the way to go and lets hope that more cachers take that approach.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 11 August 10 12:23 am

I never use a cut and paste log on caches (but do on TBs when I have discovered multiple at an event). If it's good I tend to write something about my experience. If it's boring I tend to do a thanks, I found it with a few words. I don't usually comment about how bad it is unless I can see something that needs fixing and can be.

One example is a log I did for a cache in January this year in Victoria on a mountain. In a coffee tin. Even after a few months rust and water was showing inside even though the cache was well under a rock. I explained how that container would suck water in with condensation, and the owner took it offline and fixed it. So yes, constructive criticism is the way to go. Tell people how it can be better rather than just bagging it and pissing people off.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 11 August 10 12:53 am

Wingaap wrote:Echo....couldnt agree more.

Mind you the "find x of xxx for the day" arent high on my appreciation list either.
I dont mind these if they are accompanied by another little note, I like seeing achievement like this. Just a few words to acknowledge the caches uniqueness / condition / muggle trouble / whatever on top of the number would be nice ;)

I must admit, on days when I find 15-20 caches, often micro drivebys as I zoom around the country for work, I can get lazy and only put in a shirt log. But I never cut'n'paste and always try to individualise the log somehow.

Zalgariath's Verbosity
Total Words: 49634
Average: 44,
Longest: GC1P73T 542 (3 Day Mission!)
Shortest: GC1FYWA 4 (Bit of Nothing obviously ;(

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 11 August 10 7:38 am

Aa cacher found 4 of a series of mine recently . They used copy paste and just altered the part relevant to that particular cache log but in essence it was just like reading 4 logs with all the same information. As there were about 3 paragraphs in each line comprising a total of twelve lines I could see their method in savingtime.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 11 August 10 4:11 pm

As a cache owner I love to read human written logs and don't enjoy the cut / paste or Macro generated logs. I have just decided to put no expectations on what people should write in a log. If it is a long log great !!, if it is a "TFTC".. meh.. I will get over it, and I chose to focus on the long logs I enjoyed reading, cup half full...

As a owner of a few online businesses my time when I am in front of a computer is usually taken over by more pressing task's than writing long logs. I can see a steady decline in the length of my logs in the future....

speak of the devil, my phone just beeped indicated I have business to attend to. Cut short like my logs..