GPS Readings

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
outlaw60

GPS Readings

Post by outlaw60 » 03 May 03 8:46 pm

We were out caching today, as all good cachers should do and the Lord and Master was getting mightily annoyed.
Why does the new GPS (Magellan Sportrak Map) jump around like it has ants in its pants? From the same spot we were constantly getting "it's over there, no it's over here, no it's up there, wait a minute, it's down there!"
Believe me it nearly went in the river. We spent 3 1/2 hours trying to find Team Chaos' "More" cache, for the second time I might add, all to no avail.
Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just us inexperienced cachers?
Your feedback would be very much appreciated. :(

Outlaws

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 03 May 03 9:12 pm

More, not a good cache to be learning the tricks on... that terrain can be tricky to get readings in. A GOOD tip is to let the gps settle for a while as you search, then look at it again, just place it on a rock or tree stump that is close to the ground zero. have a bit of a fossick then see what the gps is saying. you will find that this trick will be successful quite regularly. Also remember in a valley or under trees the signal reception is downgraded.

outlaw60

GPS Readings

Post by outlaw60 » 03 May 03 9:40 pm

Hi there Swampy

Thanks for your prompt reply.

As soon as we read it we went "oh yea, that makes sense". Thanks for the tips, we're trying again tomorrow, so hopefully we'll have more success utilising your advice.

At least we got to see alot of the area, although we nearly ended up having a domestic, as the co-ords the Lord & Master converted from his new GSP for my old GPS were across the bridge & up in the bush (and I mean UP in the bush). About an hour later my GPS readings were spot on but not a cave in sight! Only to hear from across the river "I think it's here". As it turned out, the readings on his were correct (we think).

Anyway, still alot of fun, & very good exercise! (Though we probably won't be able to walk tomorrow!)

swampgecko

hints and tips

Post by swampgecko » 03 May 03 9:45 pm

No problem, we all help each other here.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 03 May 03 10:37 pm

Vertical surfaces (like cliffs and buildings) can cause sat signal reflections and consequently realy jumpy position info. If you leave your SporTTrak still (as Swampy says) it will start averaging to refine its positioning.
Another technique you can sometimes use in bad coverage areas is to move away slightly (say 20 metres or so) to a better signal spot and note the direction line to the cache - a compass helps, repeat this from a few other spots. The point where your direction lines intersect should be close to the cache.
But despite all this just accept that we all must have some purple :( in our lives!

swampgecko

GPS readings

Post by swampgecko » 04 May 03 12:19 am

Another good point there Alex. Reflections from buildings and cliffs do play havoc with the signals, Took me ages to get lock-on in Sydney the other week when I was there. The manmade canyons don't help at all.

A compass will be a good investment as well, mind you a few cachers will say that you don't need one. I tend to now use my compass a lot less than when I first started out. BUT it is still part of my Sunday-go-caching outfit.

Oh and I forgot to add to my first statement, don't forget to pick up your gps after you have found the cache, you will do it as some stage, we ALL have and anyone who tells you different is bending their version of reality:wink:

Have Fun

Swampy

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 04 May 03 12:21 am

And your sunglasses... Five pairs and counting :-)

Damian007

Post by Damian007 » 04 May 03 5:28 pm

Just checking....

Are both the GPSr's set for the same Map Datum (WGS84)...

outlaw60

Post by outlaw60 » 04 May 03 7:24 pm

G'day Damian

Yep after a bit of confusion yesterday (I sent she who must be obeyed)
in the wrong direction.

We tryed waiting and letting the GPS settel down today and they both recorded the same readings even down to 0 meters to go when we were at GZ. so my faith in the black arts has been renewed.

Tony

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 05 May 03 1:26 am

Apart from the usual averaging/triangulation tips mentioned already, here is an advanced tip:
Satellites near the horizon can often cause inacuracies (due to multipath distortion, scatter, antenna design etc etc), so it's handy to be able to get rid of these. Yes, sometimes you can have too many satellites!
Just look at your satellite tracking map, find the bearing and declination of any marginal ones on the horizon and position yourself behind a major object (tree, cliff, your head etc) that blocks only that satellite.
Only for the techno freaks and ultra paranoid, but it can help in some situations.

EcoDave :)