How to run a Geogaine Event

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zytheran
2000 or more caches found

How to run a Geogaine Event

Post by Zytheran » 15 July 10 7:11 pm

A geogaine event is the combination of rogaining and geocaching. The aim is to find a maximum number of special temporary geocaches in a fixed period of time on foot. Unlike traditional rogaines where the navigation tools are maps and compasses and the controls are clearly visible, geogaining allows the use of a GPS unit and the controls are hidden like typical geocaches.

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Geogaine
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Setting_a_Geogaine

The first one was run back in February and got good reviews.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC23AWE

and now there is a review in the SA Rogaining newsletter
http://sa.rogaine.asn.au/images/Newslet ... %20res.pdf
Discuss and enjoy (and run one:!:)

matmob
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Re: How to run a Geogaine Event

Post by matmob » 15 July 10 9:48 pm

And how about we have another one Z? :D

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 16 July 10 12:05 am

matmob wrote:And how about we have another one Z? :D
At the latest there will be one in Feb/Mar 2011 in SA run in conjunction with SARA again, although there might one in Victoria soon.
And now that I have uploaded the instructions, as people look at them and things are tidied up it should be pretty easy for anyone to run one.
I have the set of containers ready to go for SA and all up the stamps and containers are only $50 to set up.
The biggest expense is the pizza feast after. :D

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 16 July 10 4:35 pm

Have just had this minute had word that there will be some sort of geo rogaine event in Victoria next year.

Apart from a geogaine such as that run by SARA, someone has proposed a GPSr rogaine where instead of checkpoints, a waypoint recording will do. Be interesting to see how they manage the downloading of waypoints from multiple types of GPSr at the end of the event. And then convert to WGS84 for those who forgot to set their GPSr to that datum.

And a bit of software based checking of waypoint times to ensure that some cunning beggar doesn't manually georeference the rogaine map based on a Vicmap, measure up and key in all the waypoints while sitting in the comfort of his/her car. :lol:

If there is an event near us I'll still offer to tack on a geogaine anyway.

I had a chance to speed read the wiki Zytheran and thank you very much for the wealth of info.

Kenny

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 16 July 10 6:19 pm

kennythe1st wrote:Have just had this minute had word that there will be some sort of geo rogaine event in Victoria next year.

Apart from a geogaine such as that run by SARA, someone has proposed a GPSr rogaine where instead of checkpoints, a waypoint recording will do. Be interesting to see how they manage the downloading of waypoints from multiple types of GPSr at the end of the event. And then convert to WGS84 for those who forgot to set their GPSr to that datum.

And a bit of software based checking of waypoint times to ensure that some cunning beggar doesn't manually georeference the rogaine map based on a Vicmap, measure up and key in all the waypoints while sitting in the comfort of his/her car. :lol:

If there is an event near us I'll still offer to tack on a geogaine anyway.

I had a chance to speed read the wiki Zytheran and thank you very much for the wealth of info.

Kenny
The GPSr download sounds like a silly idea. Lot's of things to go wrong. #-o
If people are going to do this they should wait for the Orienteering type standard devices that have GPSr built in (few years away) or have everyone use a pile of standard yellow Garmins. Dealing with all those brands , models and cables , bleh....not worth it.
And you want people to find something, not just be within 5m or so. Otherwise that's just a footrace.

Stamp or punch onto cardboard is much more reliable and faster at the end and has no issue with cheating. The players can also clearly see what's going on.

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 05 November 10 4:13 pm

The Victorian rogaine draft calendar for 2011 shows an 8hr Rogaine & GPS Rogaine scheduled for Sat 23 July. The location is not yet given. For those interested, details can be monitored on the Events page at http://vra.rogaine.asn.au/

Kenny

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 05 November 10 4:52 pm

I really hope this takes off and comes West! =D> Looks like my kind of fun!

joffa1970

Post by joffa1970 » 08 November 10 10:46 am

I will ask on Saturday night at the 'End of Year' rogain dinner at Heathcote pub. Somebody there should know.
I am doing the 6 hour cyclogain on Sunday 14th. (Caching all day Saturday on the way there of course!)