Digit slip

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Powerplay

Digit slip

Post by Powerplay » 14 July 10 8:02 pm

I just received a note from the reviewer to inform me that a cache I have just placed
in mittagong nsw is showing up on the map as being off the coast in the ocean.lt
looks like fat finger slip on keyboard what a difference a 1 makes instead of a 0. :oops:
so has this ever happened to anyone else?

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Re: Digit slip

Post by Team Wibble » 14 July 10 8:12 pm

Its happened to me, but not so much as to totally put a cache out in the ocean (digit slip on second to last digit, resulting in people wondering why the cache appeared in the middle of someone's house), but I've seen a few caches get published in the ocean, so not only has it happened to others, sometimes the reviewers don't quite catch it in time either. You're not alone!

Another reason why I'm glad the "show on map" feature while filling in a new cache listing on GC.com finally seems to actually work, it at least shows you that you are in the region of "correct" when typing in your coords.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 14 July 10 8:14 pm

Yep, sort of.

Our cache Weir Are We (GC12613), somehow managed to get AGD66 co-ordinates when we re-averaged them. a whopping distance error of 200 odd metres.

It really teed off the first couple of FTF seekers!!!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Post by PrincessDiala » 14 July 10 8:23 pm

Several times in the MCR earlier this year.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 14 July 10 9:39 pm

:oops:
Oh yes! Twice in fact, in one case I put in the Lat from a nearby Trig point so it was off by over 500m and still it was found FTF going to Team Stilllookin, it has now been fixed. To my shame I did it again recently when again I input the Lat from a nearby cache placed at the same time again now fixed!
Getting old and senile is no fun! I did have the correct data in my notes for both caches, I just had my senior moment.
#-o

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 14 July 10 9:52 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: I once posted my home coordinates for a GCA moveable which was placed some 2 km away.

Had all these sus people wondering around outside my house. :roll: Not that they knew I was watching them :twisted:

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 14 July 10 10:11 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:Yep, sort of.

Our cache Weir Are We (GC12613), somehow managed to get AGD66 co-ordinates when we re-averaged them. a whopping distance error of 200 odd metres.

Tell me about it! #-o
LOL

squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 15 July 10 12:36 am

Our "It's Over On..." was goofed up to start with. Not only did you need to spend 40 minutes slogging up the mountain, when you got there it looked like you needed to abseil halfway down a slippery slope. Fortunately the clue mentioned the survey mark... Somehow had ADG66 on WP1 and WGS84 on WP2... no idea how, but I was a green-horn back then

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 15 July 10 1:22 am

Oh, I see at least one of these every week!

Sometimes, it's glaringly obvious when it's out to sea or in the wrong hemisphere.
Sometimes, it's fairly obvious when the description mentions the park but the coords are in someone's back yard (or spare bedroom!)
Sometimes, it's not at all obvious when the map shows bush and the description mentions bush, but the bush it's meant to be is several kilometres away!

ALWAYS have a quick look at the Google Maps link when you enter a new listing, just to catch those obvious fat-finger situations and avoid a nice note from your friendly reviewer (or a possibly less nice one from the poor FTF attempters!)

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 15 July 10 3:14 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:Yep, sort of.

Oh yeah - I forgot to tell you Ian, that was my problem when I tried for it on the way to the Wagga Event in April. For some reason, my GSAK entry only had the initial info for this one from when it was first published and none of the later logs or corrections - so I fell for it too :cry:

pprass

Post by pprass » 15 July 10 4:22 pm

Geodes wrote:.... so I fell for it too :cry:
Amateur :lol: :lol:

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 15 July 10 6:20 pm

pprass wrote:
Do I need to bring up the Lions of Armadale? That wasn't a digit slip, I think you must have been typing with your toes #-o

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 15 July 10 7:26 pm

Geodes wrote:
pprass wrote:
Do I need to bring up the Lions of Armadale? That wasn't a digit slip, I think you must have been typing with your toes #-o
Dont worry Bob, it wasnt that long ago i had a digit slip on my " Close encounters of the third kind '" in Narre Warren in Melbourne in August 2006.. :shock: :shock:

More so, i placed a 4 instead of a 7 , and it got released during the day whilst at work.

Meanwhile ,the "Lions of Armadale " ( PP ) owner, ventured off, on a FTF UFO hunt in the scrub in Lysterfield Lake Park somewhere, about 5km's from the real GZ.

Never did find out if he found any other UFO landing spots. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pprass

Post by pprass » 15 July 10 7:44 pm

Geodes wrote:...Do I need to bring up the Lions of Armadale?
No - you do not need to bring that up :-$ That was a secret between you me and a couple of other caches only [-(

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 15 July 10 7:47 pm

the farmers 5 wrote:Dont worry Bob, it wasnt that long ago i had a digit slip on my " Close encounters of the third kind '" in Narre Warren in Melbourne in August 2006.. :shock: :shock:

More so, i placed a 4 instead of a 7 , and it got released during the day whilst at work.

Meanwhile ,the "Lions of Armadale " ( PP ) owner, ventured off, on a FTF UFO hunt in the scrub in Lysterfield Lake Park somewhere, about 5km's from the real GZ.

Never did find out if he found any other UFO landing spots. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good on you Greg - serves him right :twisted:. Recalling some of those oldies actually reminds me of another digit slip that involved you two - do you remember Divided Path out in Croydon. Its initial co-ords were a fair bit out, but pprass and then you both logged it and claimed to have used your intuition to find it around 500m away. After the co-ords were corrected, I visited it the next day and got a surprise when I couldn't see either of your entries in the log. After a bit of conversation with p-pprass, it turned out you'd both gone and re-found an older cache by Nutcache which wasn't too far away [-X (you've deleted your initial logs now, I see).

A typo can sure be a big pain in the butt, but they sometimes make for some good stories :lol: