Ideas for Scout Geocaching activity

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found

Ideas for Scout Geocaching activity

Post by Coffee and Cache » 14 July 10 2:21 pm

Seems I've been elected to help organise a geocaching activity for our geokids scout group. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who may have done something like this. ie what works, what doesn't etc.

We are talking about an activity that should take no more than 1.5 hours, conducted at night in a fairly large suburban park. (Probably Wattle Park in Melbourne for those who know it). I think we are talking about 15 or so kids, maybe split into 2 or 3 patrols. The scout group has access to about 4 GPSrs apparently. Don't know what sort as yet.

We are not talking about 'official' caches of course, just special containers or suitably marked objects that we will either get the kids to collect when they find them, or collect after the event. I figure I'll need to put some reflective tape/device on them so they can be found at night. They should not be too hard to find, so maybe each patrol can find 5 or so, but I'd be inclined to hide separate 'caches' for each patrol so they won't be competing for them, and they can collect them as they go.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips for me, I'd be most grateful.

pjamesk
300 or more found
300 or more found

Re: Ideas for Scout Geocaching activity

Post by pjamesk » 14 July 10 2:29 pm

Try hide and seek
firstly both troops go and hide caches and then swap information and then go and seek out the toher troops caches

mastamak
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by mastamak » 14 July 10 9:48 pm

Until the scouts know how to operate a GPS properly and fully understand what Geocaching all about you need to keep it simple.

Even though a 'Scout cares for the environment' I have found that this is generally not the case when they are looking for geocaches. Particularly more so when there may be a competition/race.

For novice scouting geocachers make the caches obvious - the aim is to get them to GZ and learn how to use the GPS. Perhaps have one cache that is a tricky, micro, novelty to show them that it can be a bit harder and more fun.

The idea of having different caches for each patrol is a good one at first but I have also found that creating a bit of competition between patrols helps keep their enthusiasm. Have one cache to do per member of the patrol and make sure each scout gets a turn with the GPS. I have found the most dominant scout (not necessarily the patrol leader) takes the GPS. Let them all have a go.

In the future as scouts develop their skills you can have multis which utilise parts of the scout award scheme.

I have run geocaching at group and district scout events. Some scouts/patrols just don't get it. Don't let this bother you as it is not your fault.

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 14 July 10 9:59 pm

Thanks to both pjamesk & mastamak - lots of good advice there.
I'll certainly try and make sure they share the use of the GPS.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 15 July 10 8:02 am

We use some GPSrs and a set of walkie talkies (we're lucky and have 4 walkie talkies (though only 3 GPSrs), but enough mobile phones would work as well). Don't forget to ensure that all the GPSrs are set to the same datum and coordinate type. Here are four games we've played. Have a leader/adult with each team. Encourage Scouts to let GPSrs settle or average; also encourage good information exchange etiquette (e.g., repeating back coordinates).

Hide and seek (with find usually guaranteed): In these games, all teams need a walkie-talkie each and at least one GPSr. With two teams, one team goes off and hides, and then radios their coords to the other team, which can then come and find the first team (give a time limit for how long the first team has to hide). Swap roles. Keep playing until 1.5 hours elapses. If you have three teams, then, once you have one team hidden, you can have team 2 finding team 1 while team 3 goes off and hides. Then in the next round, team 1 can go in search of the now-hidden team 3, while team 2 goes off and hides in readiness for the third round. Keep rotating until 1.5 hours elapses.

Glow stick hide-and-seek: Have as many teams as you have GPSrs and walkie talkies. Each team also needs a glow stick. Each teams hides a glowing glow stick and notes the coordinates. The stick must have some part of it visible (i.e., it can't be hidden in such a way that it's glow is invisible). Each team radios the coordinates to one other team, and then off they go to find that particular glowstick. Having found it, they can then take it and hide it somewhere else and the game continues.

Regular caching: Requires preparation. Hide a few small caches (200ml sistema size), with pieces of paper for logbooks. Record the coordinates. Give them the list, and tell 'em to go get 'em.

Street caching: As above, but use UTM coordinates because these can actually be plotted on a Melway map (the red grid lines are UTM grid lines (I think; I'm in Slovenia and don't have a Melways handy!)). Give the kids the coords and get them to plot them on a photocopied Melways first, and then plan an optimal route to visit them. This will work better if you use a big enough area that allows you to move across the 1km grid line. (I actually have a 10x10 grid that can be photocopied on to clear acetate that allows you to lay it over the top of the Melways lined up with the red grid lines to get an extra decimal place or two within the grid - you can download this from here.

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 15 July 10 9:24 am

Thanks SamCarter - Lots of great ideas there. We do have some 2-ways, but I'm not sure how many. Thanks.

paegle boy
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by paegle boy » 21 July 10 7:51 pm

i am as vent i love going geocaching with vents

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 23 July 10 4:55 pm

How did it go?

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 23 July 10 8:04 pm

solomonfamily wrote:How did it go?
Actually, we had to postpone since the night was wet and Wattle park was very slippery. We could perhaps have persisted. Some people I know may have thought it would be character building for the kids, but I thought we'd have kids falling over left right and center in the dark and wet. Besides, I was keen to ensure that their first geocaching experience was a fun and exciting adventure, not a wet and soggy one.

Anyway, it's still all set up to go, possibly in a week or two depending on other activities.

Thanks to all who offered advice. I'll report back after the event about how it went, what worked and what didn't.