Log book paper

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
darth trader
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: darthtrader77

Log book paper

Post by darth trader » 11 July 10 7:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone else was enduring the same drama as I have in using normal A4 printer paper printed with a stasth note for a log sheet in a cache, weather it be a micro or a small.
I find even in a clip bag I find that these log sheets get very moist and tattered so easily. and in this damp old cold winter like we are having on the lower east coast, well, I don't like it.
What do you perfer to use, fellow Geocachers, for a quality log sheet?and or How could you 'treat' a log sheet prior to placement (ie. hairspray) to make it last in the field?
cheers.
darth.

Damo.

Re: Log book paper

Post by Damo. » 11 July 10 7:54 pm

I would recommend laminating them. Double-side printing and you can do them A2 size. Cut them down a little more to remove the sharp corners. You can get them from as little as $29 at Officeworks. You can also get laminating pouches which you melt with an iron but I haven't used them so can't say how good they are.
You could also look at the kind of containers you are using and if you can use something better sealed and/or in a better sheltered position?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 July 10 8:10 pm

rite-in-the-rain paper.
Expensive, but well worth while if you have a conscience about the quality of your cache logs.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 11 July 10 9:08 pm

....with a quality pen to guarantee that it works \:D/

mm

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 11 July 10 9:15 pm

caughtatwork wrote:rite-in-the-rain paper.
Expensive, but well worth while if you have a conscience about the quality of your cache logs.
This was what I was going to suggest and it's not really that expensive either. http://www.prospectors.com.au/p-3294-wa ... -8512.aspx

Considering the effort you go to with your hides darth, well worth while.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 11 July 10 9:20 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:This was what I was going to suggest and it's not really that expensive either. http://www.prospectors.com.au/p-3294-wa ... -8512.aspx
Matt,

That link is to the "plain" rite-in-the-rain paper, which is more or less normal paper with a coating...not bad stuff though. The top of the range stuff is synthetic, called Duracopy paper and is relatively expensive however needs the right pens and/or usage to guarantee no smudging when written on.

mm

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 11 July 10 9:24 pm

I laminate mine, with a cheap officeworks laminator (about $40 from memory) and a pack of 100 laminating pouches I bought years ago that just never seems to run out. Or you could just purchase these: http://geocaching.com.au/shop/index.php ... duct_id=61

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 11 July 10 9:34 pm

Team Wibble wrote:I laminate mine, with a cheap officeworks laminator (about $40 from memory) and a pack of 100 laminating pouches I bought years ago that just never seems to run out. Or you could just purchase these: http://geocaching.com.au/shop/index.php ... duct_id=61
You laminate your log sheets???? Do you mean you laminate your stash notes? Laminated log sheets would be a nightmare to write on.

Team Wibble

Post by Team Wibble » 11 July 10 9:39 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
Team Wibble wrote:I laminate mine, with a cheap officeworks laminator (about $40 from memory) and a pack of 100 laminating pouches I bought years ago that just never seems to run out. Or you could just purchase these: http://geocaching.com.au/shop/index.php ... duct_id=61
You laminate your log sheets???? Do you mean you laminate your stash notes? Laminated log sheets would be a nightmare to write on.
Oops, yes, I mean I laminate my stash notes. I would make many, many enemies laminating my log sheets! (although, I guess, a long, cylindrical cache with a long, rolled up laminated log sheet and a nice sharpie pen in the container could work 8-[

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 11 July 10 9:40 pm

Laminted stash notes - either print your own and laminate them, or purchase the new GCA shop notes.

Waterproof paper for the log. Although I find with a good container and a zip-loc bag, log books stay dry and clean. It's really the stash note that ends up grotty if it's not laminated.

darth trader
Twitter: darthtrader77

Post by darth trader » 11 July 10 9:44 pm

thanks for the immediate feedback guys.

Yes I was asking about logsheets. (I kinda like to have them set up with a stash note for a header in a micro cache)
and thanks for that link... I can buy so much cool, nerdy stuff from there.

I am glad you like my caches, matt. I am particularly proud of ' keep the doctor away that you did on the weekend. It took a while, and a bit of a re-do to set the polarities of the holding magnets so that it only went back together 'the right way'.

my cryptex is slowly progressing...
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/10838405 ... directlink

I have found I enjoy taking the time to present a cache, makes reading the finds enjoyable. It really beats the 'TFTC' you get when you push an empty chocolates container into the mud in a crematorium and call it a micro.

cheers guys (and blossom*)

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 11 July 10 10:01 pm

Team Wibble wrote:Oops, yes, I mean I laminate my stash notes. I would make many, many enemies laminating my log sheets!
Could be a bit of fun to watch though... :lol:
darth trader wrote: I am glad you like my caches, matt. I am particularly proud of ' keep the doctor away that you did on the weekend. It took a while, and a bit of a re-do to set the polarities of the holding magnets so that it only went back together 'the right way'.
Shell and I had a good smile at this one you've really lifted the bar. It's so nice to find a good cache especially after this one...
darth trader wrote:when you push an empty chocolates container into the mud in a crematorium and call it a micro.
What were they thinking?

Gowza
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Gowza » 11 July 10 10:41 pm

my cryptex is slowly progressing...
I am somewhat in awe... :shock: I look forward to seeing that in action!!

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 12 July 10 1:53 am

Thanx for that link, I really need some and just don't have the equipment to do it myself. That is great, I will definatly buy some!

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 12 July 10 9:03 am

Team Wibble wrote:I laminate mine, with a cheap officeworks laminator (about $40 from memory) ...
Another place for cheap laminators is Australia Post (which is where I bought mine). I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it was less than $40.