TerraCaching

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
weewillie
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

TerraCaching

Post by weewillie » 09 July 10 2:03 pm

Hi Everyone,
Has anyone had any sort of experience with TerraCaching?

Damo.

Re: TerraCaching

Post by Damo. » 09 July 10 2:20 pm

I joined up a few years ago. The site seemed to be more forum that listing site and was difficult to search for caches.
I felt it was more worthwhile to support Geocaching Australia so didn't bother to hide any on TerraCaching.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 09 July 10 3:57 pm

Just that I found a Terracache accidentally once. Looked a little closer at the idea and chose not to pursue it. :arrow: Splitters!

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 09 July 10 4:34 pm

I joined to see what it was all about - had to be 'sponsored' to get in but that happened - a couple of people on the other side of the world I'd never met or corresponded with, vouched for me.
I went in to see what they had and there wasn't a single cache in NSW. There seemed to be some in Perth and Brisbane from memory. The only one I ever looked at doing was a locationless cache which involved using Google Street View to get a shot of a train at a level crossing. I looked up all the crossings I knew in Sydney and didn't find a train so gave up and forgot about it.
I got my first email (some 12 months later) a few days ago which was some incomprehensible gibberish which I deleted. I just looked it up again then and I reproduce it here:
This is to inform you that your sponsor '******' is has transfered your sponsorship to an AdoptionAgency. If this is a surprise, you'll need to ask them about it. I'm just an automated bot, and don't understand humans or any of the things they do. While under the sponsorship of an AdoptionAgency Bot, you'll still retain partial access to the site. However, you will not be allowed to offer additional sponsorships to new members or post new caches. I should also warn you that the AdoptionAgency Bots don't have unlimited patience, and will drop your membership if you fail to find a new human sponsor soon. I'm sorry for the unfortunate inconvience, but this is a natural part of the process in a sponsorship based community. Good Luck!
So there you have it.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 09 July 10 7:14 pm

I find their way of making the game so exclusionary being VERY much against the spirit of geocaching.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 09 July 10 8:20 pm

CraigRat wrote:I find their way of making the game so exclusionary being VERY much against the spirit of geocaching.
I can kind of see their aim, trying to keep their caches of high quality by being selective of membership and also encouraging self regulation - but.... all that results in is very few caches. And I would assume, you'd have to go through the whole process of finding two sponsors to get an account before you can even find out if there are any caches near you, probably to find out that there aren't (like Yurt's experience). Which means there's no point in placing a cache because there's probably no members near you to find it. Which results in no caches in your area.... and on and on. Sort of a vicious circle.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 July 10 8:38 pm

Hey, my membership is still valid.
Premium Memberships are available to support the site and unlock additional features. Click here for more information.
Oh, dear :-&

totalube
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by totalube » 09 July 10 10:20 pm

I don't know if this is current, but apparently there are 19 terracaches in Australia. Hardly seems worth it!

http://www.terracaching.eu/index.php?op ... i&fileid=3

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 09 July 10 11:21 pm

totalube wrote:I don't know if this is current, but apparently there are 19 terracaches in Australia. Hardly seems worth it!

http://www.terracaching.eu/index.php?op ... i&fileid=3
Just had a look.
Vic: 1 in Macedon. Chwiliwr has found it so may comment. 3 finds in 18 months.
SA: 2
Qld: 14 all in SE.
Can't see any others on the map.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 July 10 11:38 pm

The one at Macedon is tri-listed on GC, TC and GCA. I logged the GC and GCA versions. Very nice cache actually. Short multi with a clever redirector and an ammo can at the end.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 10 July 10 7:12 pm

I got an email from someone else offering to be a replacement sponsor.

What do I do????

What do I do???? :-k

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 10 July 10 7:51 pm

What do you want to do? I can sponsor you to find and hide caches on GCA instead if you want. :lol: