How far would you go to retrieve a Muggled cache?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
acts2youthgroup
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

How far would you go to retrieve a Muggled cache?

Post by acts2youthgroup » 08 July 10 7:24 pm

This story is unbelievable but true as it happened to me, one of the most bizarre things to happen to me while out caching, back in June 09 the sculpture that one of my Rebel Alliance caches GCN1EA BT V – Flower Time was hidden in went missing so the cache was archived, end of story or so I thought. Today I was doing a few caches around the Gold Coast and one of them was GC1ZQRP A Little Black Number, I had bumped in to a caching team from WA called King Ryan Clarke who were telling me that they had found A Little Black Number and it was back at the start of the car park, I explained it can’t have been as it was on the black sculpture, I showed it to them and then they took me to show me this cache they had found, as soon as I pulled the log out I recognised the clue for the Business travellers cache, I said what is this doing here and then realized that it was my cache and the sculpture from Melbourne that was now laying on its side on a pallet at the art centre on the Gold Coast, the cache had travelled some 1344.929 Km. I have now retrieved my Muggled cache. If King Ryan Clarke had never found this cache by accident I would have never known it was there.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: How far would you go to retrieve a Muggled cache?

Post by Zalgariath » 08 July 10 8:09 pm

Now technically the cache wasnt muggled... the statue was! hahaha amazing story. I thought using a pole with a piece of fishing line tied to one end, duct tape on the other to retrieve a cache of mine which had fallen into a dark abyss was an effort. But at least I didnt have to leave GZ!

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 08 July 10 8:33 pm

This is a truly amazing story.
I had the coordinates for the statue in front of the Conservatory but there were too many muggles on the day, and the next week the statue was gone.
Maybe we need to start a museum for precious caching artefacts.
I found Dak's original cache at BT X Boat Sheds minus the lid, and replaced it with a more secure container.
I still have his original 35mm film container plus magnet and GC sticker.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 08 July 10 8:36 pm

You have to buy a lottery ticket right away!!!! It is almost imossible to believe the number of coincidences that made this all possible :o :o :o

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 08 July 10 8:54 pm

Well that definitely shows that it was a secure hide, if it stayed attached to the scultpure over that distance!
What an amazing story. And a scary set of coincidences.

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 08 July 10 9:07 pm

Thats a story of incredible odds Eric. We did the cache in Melbourne on June the 10th 2006, on that street corner and i remember that big strange sculpture piece well with plenty of hide spots within. :D And a high muggle area too.

Whats also eerie is the reasons why the sculpture wasnt wanted on that corner anymore in Melbourne and has now resurfaced at the Gold Coast. :shock: :shock:

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 08 July 10 11:07 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Now technically the cache wasnt muggled... the statue was! hahaha amazing story. I thought using a pole with a piece of fishing line tied to one end, duct tape on the other to retrieve a cache of mine which had fallen into a dark abyss was an effort. But at least I didnt have to leave GZ!
:oops: :oops: I think I know which one you are talking about. And I think I might have been responsible for this.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 08 July 10 11:39 pm

tronador wrote:
Zalgariath wrote:Now technically the cache wasnt muggled... the statue was! hahaha amazing story. I thought using a pole with a piece of fishing line tied to one end, duct tape on the other to retrieve a cache of mine which had fallen into a dark abyss was an effort. But at least I didnt have to leave GZ!
:oops: :oops: I think I know which one you are talking about. And I think I might have been responsible for this.
Hahaha the funny thing was Tron about a week after you did it, so did RAGs... so obviously it was an inherrent glue problem not your fault haha (it is now bolted in place and has been incident free since touch wood! :)

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 09 July 10 11:05 am

gmj3191 wrote:Maybe we need to start a museum for precious caching artefacts.
TeamAstro has The Logbook Library (TB29RBK) which "brings old log books back to life - making them available once again to the masses."

My muggled cache story is distance in time, rather than space!

When I was introduced to geocaching in 2008 by my sister “5grains” I realised with horror that I had muggled a cache way back in August of 2003. The future Mrs Trigg-A-Nomics and I were at a park for a game of winter baseball when I came across a plastic container with a faded plastic horse or dinosaur and a wet log book which I took home to read and promptly forgot about.

When I realised five years later what I had done I created a cache to atone for it called GC1MTB9 - Seraphs Coal.

Then in October 2009, a couple of comments on my cache log got me thinking about the original cache that I had muggled. Which cache was it? Who had planted it? And where was that log book that I brought home and forgot about? Then I got a sudden thought: what if the cache was still in my baseball bag? It was six years ago but still, it's a male sports bag - things go in, they don't come out!

A brief smelly search later I located the original log book for GC75F5 Waite For It by Alex, placed on the 26th of July 2002! Then I started thinking "Hang on, I've got the log book, I found the cache, so couldn't I claim it as a find? And I'm on 99 caches, so that means it's my first cache … but also cache number 100!" I signed the log book then headed over to geocaching.com to pull up the archived cache and log a find backdated to 2003.

I’m pretty sure there aren’t too many cachers with their 1st and 100th finds being the same geocache! :D

Rogue
Twitter: steffvan

Post by Rogue » 09 July 10 12:39 pm

Not far from our house is a cache called Stirling Guns, where the cache is located on an old army artefact.

Back in May 2008 we received a local community newsletter advising that the guns were going to be taken away for refurbishment, and I thought 'I must let the cache owner know'. Well, a month went by and I didn't do anything about it, until I drove past the square and saw that the guns were gone!! Oops.

So, I emailed the cache owner to let him know what had happened to the cache. Well, he said "that's funny because today I was driving down Leach Hwy and I saw some guns go past on the back of a truck and I had a funny feeling that I was driving past my cache".

Well, the people who were refurbishing the guns found the cache, and since the owner had left his details they contacted him. He explained Geocaching to them, and they thought it was such a good idea they installed a special holding plate under the gun for the cache to sit in, and replaced it before returning the guns.

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 09 July 10 2:41 pm

That is one huge set of coincidences Eric! Just re-read our log and recall what fun we had doing that series.

Thanks for sharing your story - we haven't anything even remotely as interesting as that story.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 09 July 10 3:15 pm

...if its GC cache if definately worth a mention for the current "Lost and Found" Stories promotion! Definately fits the bill :D

Team Wibble

Post by Team Wibble » 09 July 10 3:52 pm

Zalgariath wrote:...if its GC cache if definately worth a mention for the current "Lost and Found" Stories promotion! Definately fits the bill :D
I just clicked the link and it told me it already had been - so someone's beaten me to the punch. You can add comments though (I think.. not sure how the whole thing works)

acts2youthgroup

Post by acts2youthgroup » 09 July 10 8:56 pm

I nominated it for the lost and found. There are even more coincidences than the story tells, it was a chance meeting at a cache at the OZ mega event that brought me to Brisbane in the first place.

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 10 July 10 9:31 pm

Hey... I replied to this yesterday post saying how amazing I thought it was etc etc and my post isnt here - weird :shock:

Anyway I DO think it is amazing and very cool and you must have been so suprised and rapt!!

GJMMelb (J)