How far would YOU travel for a FTF?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Re: How far would YOU travel for a FTF?

Post by tronador » 06 July 10 11:13 am

How about 9648.7km from home.

GC1ZDJJ http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=

I was going anyway, but still got FTF after it being unfound for 5months since being published.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 06 July 10 11:50 am

tronador wrote:How about 9648.7km from home.

I was going anyway, but still got FTF after it being unfound for 5months since being published.
Why not have a go at this one?
Still available after 4 years! You'll see why. When people talk about dangerous caches they are generally thinking cliffs, rivers or maybe traffic. But not landmines and being kidnapped by the Taliban.
GCWZK8
147 caches over there. The military must enjoy a spot of geocaching!

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 06 July 10 3:25 pm

According to Groundspeak Hot Guwahati! is:
NW 8392.1km from your home coordinates
Although I traveled 8700km by plane then 1800 by motorcycle to reach it, so 10,500Km
It had been there 3 1/2 years before my FTF in 2008, and only logged once since.

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 06 July 10 10:29 pm

Good topic Jen :D Certainly has livened up the board \:D/

We have targeted quite a few remote caches that had not been found for a long time and loved the experience especially as we usually got a group together to join us for the adventure. Ahh so many great memories and I hope all of our friends can still remember them - the good and the bad. So much fun with Rabbitto, maccamob, Rebel Acts, Squalid, Phetlern, Team Crackers, Ian & Penny, xambo4u .....

Although we didn't especially go all the way to Fraser Isl for Ydney Scrub, we really enjoyed the group effort to work out where the heck that cache was and as Ian from Ian&Penny mentions we weren't even the first to find it after all of our detective work. However we suspect that there must have been some cache owner collusion as the co-ords were 1.7kms out - so how the heck did the FTFer find it we say :-k

We did go all the way to the French Line to find http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 5084862490 which was about 2,000 kms from home, however once again that was part of a bigger trip and the cache was incidental.

The farthest cache from our new home that we have targeted and attempted for a FTF was http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... e77e5fedae which turned out to be about a 375kms round trip - just a trifle of a drive these days :shock:. However what was most disappointing was that it wasn't even there! It was a mere 95 kms further west ](*,) We went through quite a few private properties thinking that the owner had cleared the way - just as well that it was raining heavily and the farmers were well entrenched in their farm houses [-o<

Hope you have a great time on your first genuine caching holiday GJMMelb and lots of lol's :lol:

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 06 July 10 11:40 pm

As Pprass above has just said,
En masse - Tolley Track we all fled.
Pprass bumped me askew,
So I took him down too,
so Maccamob FTF'd it instead

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by GJMMelb » 06 July 10 11:54 pm

PesceVerde wrote:A few ftf attempts in on different days in different directions at about 100km (ATCF) apiece, for a couple of successes and a couple of "close but no cigar"s. Great fun. :D
Yey!! =D> It is great fun even when you dodnt get the FTF, and especially when you meet other cachers - We met Everlasting and Crank1 when trying to get the FTF on Don't mesh with the Traffic - we had arrived first but they made the find - we didnt mind as we had so much fun trying to communicate with them in the dark (they're both deaf) so MMelb held the torch pointed at my hands while I signed to them - and the Datruk turned up - it was a little mini-event lolol!!
RobWinmar wrote:You people show some great dedication! I haven't got a FTF yet and might need to set up some decent notification system to change that.
Give it a go RobWinmar - it's great fun! We were so excited that my (JMelb) hands were shaking when signing the log on our first ever FTF lolol :oops: :lol: :mrgreen:
Hoojar wrote:Chip and I left home, found GC1PCAJ and went home to log it. By the time we submitted our logs it was just less than fifteen minutes since the notification email had arrived!
:D :D :D
WOW! =D> Well done!!
SA_ParrotHead wrote:The Parrot left from Adelaide and travelled to Birdsville and picked up a FTF on Big Red (Eastern Gateway to the Simpson Desert)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 1219198d00

That was a round trip of 2786.18 Kilometres.

Wow, what a trip and what a great log from you with so many photos! =D>
tronador wrote:How about 9648.7km from home.

Wow that is abit of an journey too! Well done on the FTF AND figuring out the correct co-ords! =D> Love the photo of you jumping in the air!!
Yurt wrote: Why not have a go at this one?
Still available after 4 years! You'll see why. When people talk about dangerous caches they are generally thinking cliffs, rivers or maybe traffic. But not landmines and being kidnapped by the Taliban.
GCWZK8
147 caches over there. The military must enjoy a spot of geocaching!
Oh my STARS!! Ummmm wonder if any of those ones will ever get any finds? The clue is enough to keep you away!!! lol
Dik: wrote:According to Groundspeak Hot Guwahati! is:
NW 8392.1km from your home coordinates
Although I traveled 8700km by plane then 1800 by motorcycle to reach it, so 10,500Km
It had been there 3 1/2 years before my FTF in 2008, and only logged once since.
Wow 10,500! I'm amazed you found it considering how long it had been and what you had to rummage through!! =D>
pprass wrote:Good topic Jen :D Certainly has livened up the board \:D/

We have targeted quite a few remote caches that had not been found for a long time and loved the experience especially as we usually got a group together to join us for the adventure. Ahh so many great memories and I hope all of our friends can still remember them - the good and the bad. So much fun with Rabbitto, maccamob, Rebel Acts, Squalid, Phetlern, Team Crackers, Ian & Penny, xambo4u .....

Although we didn't especially go all the way to Fraser Isl for Ydney Scrub, we really enjoyed the group effort to work out where the heck that cache was and as Ian from Ian&Penny mentions we weren't even the first to find it after all of our detective work. However we suspect that there must have been some cache owner collusion as the co-ords were 1.7kms out - so how the heck did the FTFer find it we say :-k

We did go all the way to the French Line to find http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 5084862490 which was about 2,000 kms from home, however once again that was part of a bigger trip and the cache was incidental.

The farthest cache from our new home that we have targeted and attempted for a FTF was http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... e77e5fedae which turned out to be about a 375kms round trip - just a trifle of a drive these days :shock:. However what was most disappointing was that it wasn't even there! It was a mere 95 kms further west ](*,) We went through quite a few private properties thinking that the owner had cleared the way - just as well that it was raining heavily and the farmers were well entrenched in their farm houses [-o<

Hope you have a great time on your first genuine caching holiday GJMMelb and lots of lol's :lol:
[/quote]

Thanks Peter :D It has been enjoyable reading all the responses and logs/links!
I did think of you guys when I posted the topic, as I vaguely remembered you saying you have cleared all your local caches so have to travel some distance now to get ANY caches let alone a FTF. Sounds like you have had lots of fun in your group adventures! HOW frustrating re the 95km out cache!! Hopefully it took you through places you hadnt been before so you got to see some different scenery??

Thanks, we did have a great time on our Mildura holiday and found 33 caches and had 1 DNF that we suspect was missing but havent heard yet. There were still quite a few caches we didnt get to (about 6 a day is enough for Mitchell) and there were some we just couldnt get to with our 2WD Station Wagon anyway - and had an "interesting time" getting to one cache - sliding all over the road - Mitchell loved it, I was having kittens but we literally couldnt turn back so had to keep going :shock: Once we found a spot where we were able to turn it was only 250m to go to WP1 of the cache so we kept going as the road was better there lol.................... Do you remember winching us out the first time you introduced us to Geocaching??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Our Easter holidays were planned around caching too ......... we went to Phillip Island to do (almost all) the Puzzle Caches there and just missed out on finishing the whole lot (due to missing codes) so plan to go back soon one weekend to finish it as Gary has managed to work out the puzzle now despite the missing codes. We have the rest of our 3park pass to use up as well and there have been new caches published so still have a few to do there lol
Rabbitto wrote: As Pprass above has just said,
En masse - Tolley Track we all fled.
Pprass bumped me askew,
So I took him down too,
so Maccamob FTF'd it instead
rotfl!!! :lol: =D> :lol:

Thanks everyone for the stories/logs/links - I'm still enjoying reading them!!

GJMMelb (J)

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 07 July 10 1:17 am

PesceVerde wrote:A few ftf attempts in on different days in different directions at about 100km (ATCF) apiece, for a couple of successes and a couple of "close but no cigar"s. Great fun. :D

I can think of 2 of your adventures

Something Spicy =D> (FTF and only finder) [-( & I suspect Egg Rock is really yours. :-k

PS - except for Pirates a plundering
Last edited by ruzzelz on 07 July 10 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 07 July 10 11:06 am

The Waters Meet cache at Springbrook sounds like a good walk however it's been first found already, eh. ;)

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 07 July 10 12:43 pm

Another one to have a go at?
B.I.Polar
Bring your dog team!

pirate 63

Post by pirate 63 » 07 July 10 6:14 pm

i thought ye' pirates were first to plunder on egg rock!,or is there another one?

red tag

Post by red tag » 07 July 10 11:09 pm

We didn't specifically travel here for a FTF, but knowing we were to be in the area, specifically targeted this for a FTF:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 669f068473

About 15 719km from home...........

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 11 July 10 6:11 pm

On the subject of quick FTFs:
I hid http://coord.info/GC2B2DK today at 2:57pm
I submitted the cache at 3:29pm
The Ump published the cache at 3:53pm (Thanks Ump!!!!!)
FTF occurred at 4:15pm.