How far would YOU travel for a FTF?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

How far would YOU travel for a FTF?

Post by GJMMelb » 04 July 10 10:51 am

We WOULDN'T NORMALLY do this ........... but this week we drove 507.7km for a FTF on a cache in NSW!!!!! :shock: :D :mrgreen:

We were going to Mildura for the first week of the school holidays and a few days before we left we looked at the caches in and around Mildura and saw that a new cache had been placed a few days earlier at Wentworth NSW and hadnt been found yet. We arrived in Mildura on Monday night and looked it up and it still didnt have any finds on it so the next day we headed off...... to Loggy Bridge http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc2a1h1 ..... here's our log ...

*****FTF*****
Ok it's official - we are mad FANATICS who drive 507.7km to get a FTF!!!!! lol That's not a typo - 507.7km! lol

How exciting though, really!! We looked at all the caches in Mildura and surrounds last week, preparing for our holiday to Mildura and saw this one hadnt had any finds on it so put it on our watch list. We arrived in Mildura last night after driving all day and logged on to the Laptop to see that there were STILL no finds so that determined where would spend our first morning up here lol!!!

We were rapt when we found the cache and opened the log book to find it EMPTY!! WOOHOO!! lol

Now to the area........... it's LOVELY!! We explored for a while with G&MMelb trying to make a bridge across the little river - semi successfully lol. We took loads of photos around this really pretty place and played pooh sticks off the bridge. It's a beautiful area and we thankyou for bringing us here!

Took your brand new TB and Wentworth Snow Dome
Left princess shower gel and bouncy ball

TFTC Stewbies 6, for a great morning and the thrill of a FTF, especially so far from home!!!!!

GJMMelb

In the past the furtherest we have tried for a FTF was just under 15km for a Puzzle cache and we have been lucky to nab FTF's on a couple of traditionals within 5km of home. We would possibly try 10-15km for a Traditional if we are home and depending on the time it was published etc (ie if MMelb is already in bed then it's a no-go)
We are still relative newbies having being caching ourselves for nearly 10 months now (not counting the first time we were introduced to caching 5 years ago by C&PPRASS and the 2-3 times after that if G&MMelb saw them at Cape Patterson lol) and so we still find the prospect/challenge of a FTF quite exciting :lol: We haven't always got the FTF but still have had lots of fun - Part of the fun of it is meeting other cachers when trying for the FTF as we have done a couple of times now.

So anyway how far would/have YOU travelled to get or attempt a FTF :?: Did you meet other cachers there? Looking forwards to lots of fun/funny stories!

GJMMelb

Edited to change the word "they" to "G&MMelb" in 2nd last paragraph

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Re: How far would YOU travel for a FTF?

Post by ian-and-penny » 04 July 10 11:21 am

1598 km to Ydney Scrub - although reading the logs recently it seems that our FTF may have been usurped (although there were no other logs posted when we planned and made the trip.)

or there's 829 km to Aheneus Miscere Ambulare Vesper

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 04 July 10 11:56 am

i think our furthest is just over 1500 k's

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 04 July 10 1:32 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:1598 km to Ydney Scrub - although reading the logs recently it seems that our FTF may have been usurped (although there were no other logs posted when we planned and made the trip.)

or there's 829 km to Aheneus Miscere Ambulare Vesper
Wow!! =D>
Mr Router wrote:i think our furthest is just over 1500 k's
Wow again!! =D>

GJMMelb

firesafe

Post by firesafe » 04 July 10 3:03 pm

We drove about 200km for 6 FTF's last night getting home at 2:30am this morning :D

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 04 July 10 4:04 pm

canberra to brisbane and back for a windmill ftf

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 04 July 10 6:04 pm

Drive 100 km and walked 17 km + round trip ( Half Way Home)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC18YD4

Still remain the only finders ( only one other team have tried)

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 04 July 10 6:30 pm

Adelaide to Darwin is my best, I had planned a trip up there and about a week before I left a new cache popped up. It still hadn't been found when I got to the plane, so after arrival at Darwin airport it was into the hire car and straight out to GZ for a virgin find still dressed in clothes more suitable to a cold Adelaide than the tropical north. I wrote the log as though that was the whole reason for the trip. Then it was back to the hotel to change into something more appropriate.

If

Post by If » 04 July 10 7:16 pm

Hows about 650kms each way on a 4 day expedition specifically to find The Torture Test(CCC No. 2) :lol:
And still not get a FTF :oops:
At least it is still unclaimed, so I might have another go at it sometime \:D/

I did pick up a few consolation caches along the way though =D>

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 04 July 10 7:17 pm

15km would normally be our limit but we have done a few while on holidays that were upto 50km - country km's are not as far as surban km's [-(

reesylou
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by reesylou » 04 July 10 7:22 pm

Gee, and I thought Roxburgh Park to Mt Franklin/Daylesford area (about 80 km each way)... and back again the next day for a second FTF was pretty good, but some of those put me to shame.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 04 July 10 7:59 pm

I fluked a first to find 13000 km from home. \:D/ Was travelling and in a little town. Checked online to see if there was any caches around and it was the only one in town. Just got the coords and didn't realise it had only just been placed until I went to log it after finding. :mrgreen:

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 04 July 10 8:09 pm

So why doesn't anyone go for this one? It's only been waiting for the FTF for nearly four years!

South Point Rocks

Oh I see... :mrgreen:

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 04 July 10 8:15 pm

firesafe wrote:We drove about 200km for 6 FTF's last night getting home at 2:30am this morning :D
Wow Well done on 6 FTF's!!! =D>
SecretSquirrel-BJC wrote:canberra to brisbane and back for a windmill ftf
WOW that is QUITE a distance!! =D>
ruzzelz wrote:Drive 100 km and walked 17 km + round trip ( Half Way Home)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC18YD4

Still remain the only finders ( only one other team have tried)
Wow that's sounds like you had an awesome time! =D>
Richary wrote:Adelaide to Darwin is my best, I had planned a trip up there and about a week before I left a new cache popped up. It still hadn't been found when I got to the plane, so after arrival at Darwin airport it was into the hire car and straight out to GZ for a virgin find still dressed in clothes more suitable to a cold Adelaide than the tropical north. I wrote the log as though that was the whole reason for the trip. Then it was back to the hotel to change into something more appropriate.
That is so cool!! =D> We were tempted to say something like that in our log too but fessed up that it was a holiday trip lol :D
GMelb has done some caches in Canberra and Brisbane in his work clothes before or after meetings when up there on business trips lol
If wrote:Hows about 650kms each way on a 4 day expedition specifically to find The Torture Test(CCC No. 2) :lol:
And still not get a FTF :oops:
At least it is still unclaimed, so I might have another go at it sometime \:D/

I did pick up a few consolation caches along the way though =D>
Oh that must have been so frustrating - sounds like an awesomely tricky cache!! :shock: Glad you got the consolation caches =D>
solomonfamily wrote:15km would normally be our limit but we have done a few while on holidays that were upto 50km - country km's are not as far as surban km's [-(
You are right about the country versus suburban km's! :D
reesylou wrote:Gee, and I thought Roxburgh Park to Mt Franklin/Daylesford area (about 80 km each way)... and back again the next day for a second FTF was pretty good, but some of those put me to shame.
Argh - how frustrating to have to go back again the next day!! But yey for the 2 FTF =D> and 80km each way IS pretty good!! Before this week as we said the most we had ever done was a shade under 15km so 80km is cool!
Damo. wrote:I fluked a first to find 13000 km from home. \:D/ Was travelling and in a little town. Checked online to see if there was any caches around and it was the only one in town. Just got the coords and didn't realise it had only just been placed until I went to log it after finding. :mrgreen:
WOWWWW!! Well done!! Talk about the right place at the right time!! YEYYYYY =D>
Yurt wrote:So why doesn't anyone go for this one? It's only been waiting for the FTF for nearly four years!

South Point Rocks

Oh I see... :mrgreen:
Yikes, hmmmm let me see......... will I attempt that one tomorrow???? Methinks NOT!! lol Would be awesome to do for the brave, fit cacher tho! :D

Thanks for all these replies, it is fun to read and look at the caches/logs concerned!! =D> :mrgreen:
GJMMelb

Richary

Post by Richary » 04 July 10 9:49 pm

I did also get FTF on this one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt= at 11 months old. We had planned a 4WD trip from Adelaide up the Strezlecki Track and I had always wanted to visit Coongie Lakes, the cache was a bonus.

That was about an 1150km drive ignoring the side trips we did to get there.