Real or Bogus cacher "dadandadd"

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Skippy

Real or Bogus cacher "dadandadd"

Post by Skippy » 28 June 10 3:38 pm

Is he real or another bogus cacher
"dadandadd"
They only just became members on the 18th of june 2010 and over 46 finds were from 2007

Full stop and TFTC was most he wrote as his log

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Re: Real or Bogus cacher "dadandadd"

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 28 June 10 4:04 pm

Could be a caching couple that have separated an account and are now going back and logging. I have had these types of logs on my caches before and when I followed up it was for the above reason.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 28 June 10 4:05 pm

Why would someone go to the expense and effort of joining geocaching.com as a premium member and then logging 'only' 49 caches over a 4 year period if they weren't genuine?

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 28 June 10 4:55 pm

I think they're legit.
They just logged a find for 7 June 2007 on my cache "20km Hike".
I have replaced the log book since then and still have the old one.
There is a log by them in the book on 7 July 2007.
OK, they got the date wrong - either when they signed the logbook or in the log they just posted, but they DID sign the logbook "Dad & Add" and haven't logged that find before now.

sushilord
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by sushilord » 28 June 10 11:20 pm

They've been very selective little beavers if they are legit, with cache finds spread from western Victoria to Eyre Peninsula, that I could identify.

I came home from a weekend of caching to a log for a find on one of my out of the way caches in the Clare Valley (GC1PV8M), dated 5 July 2009 which makes them fourth to find on a cache that was less than a month old at the time. Unfortunately I won't out that way again until May next year to check the log book.

They also had a some other 'finds' in the Clare Valley area on the same day.

The theory of account splitting doesn't wash here as I know the first three teams on my cache, and there were no other finders on 5 July 2009.

When I was checking their profile last night dadandadd had a total of 29 finds, now it's up to 57.

Me thinks there is something fishy here. :-k [-(

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 June 10 11:28 pm

I have come across teams catching up on logs where teams have split, whether a group of friends who have since moved to separate places, or whatever. That's cool with me. From the numbers this person doesn't sound like someone suddenly trying to hit some record numbers.

I would let it go, or if you have a problem email them and ask. Easier than asking questions in the forums. If you don't get a suitable answer - then post something that this team may be suss. Check the logbook, it's your responsbility as cache owner to be able to do so and see if there is a corresponding log that could match. If you have moved away from the area like I have then ask a friend to do so if the cache hasn't been adopted out.

I also know other people (a couple come to mind) who rarely log online while still enjoying their finds. It could be that they have realised the error of their ways and want to catch up.

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 28 June 10 11:56 pm

So What?
A lot of posts these days seem to be about scrutiny......... :evil:

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 29 June 10 9:40 am

He must have trouble working out when he did some of these caches because he found one of my caches 7 months before it was published http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=
I least he never claimed a FTF

pprass
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 29 June 10 1:59 pm

Hey - how come The Ump doesn't put those amusing quips in his "published" logs anymore? I used to look forward to them. :-k

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 29 June 10 2:14 pm

pprass wrote:Hey - how come The Ump doesn't put those amusing quips in his "published" logs anymore? I used to look forward to them. :-k
Check out GC2ADJD

PS Although it should be - "Badgers? Weir ain't got no badgers. Weir don't need no badgers. I don't have to show you any stinking badgers."

pprass

Post by pprass » 29 June 10 2:41 pm

Very nice - although I prefer the Mexican style "steenkin" =D>

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 29 June 10 3:29 pm

pprass wrote:Very nice - although I prefer the Mexican style "steenkin" =D>
Hear! Hear!

My log was "Badgers?! Weir don't need no steenkin' badgers!"

Sorry about the (popular) mis-quote, Geodes. FWIW, I actually have that clip from the movie on my phone!

Rather than publishing new caches, I just spent a few minutes looking through my logs and, I must admit, chuckling at a couple that I'd forgotten. (Not surprising, really, since I only do these for my own amusement!)

One of my faves, for a cache called "Lagoon Show":
theUMP published [Traditional Cache] Lagoon Show

Bluebottle:
Where is it, the cache, Eccles?

Eccles:
Err, just a minute. I've got it written down on a piece of paper. A nice man wrote the place down for me this morning.

Bluebottle:
Ooooh, then why do you carry it around with you Eccles?

Eccles:
Welll, um, if a anybody asks me where the place is, I can show it to dem.

Bluebottle:
Wait a minute Eccles, my good man.

Eccles:
What is it fellow?

Bluebottle:
It's writted on this bit of paper, what is "It's right here", is writted.

Eccles:
I know that my good fellow. That's right, um, where I asked the fella to write it down, it was right there.

Bluebottle:
Well then. Supposing when somebody asks you where the cache is, it isn't right here?

Eccles:
Well den, I don't show it to 'em.

Bluebottle:
Ooohhh.

Eccles:
[smacks lips] yeah.

Bluebottle:
Well how do you know when the cache is right here?

Eccles:
I've got it written down on a piece of paper.

pprass

Post by pprass » 29 June 10 4:23 pm

Ha! You could go mad thinking about that logic :lol:

firesafe

Post by firesafe » 29 June 10 6:27 pm

I had two logs on two of my Sedan logs - a "." and ",". They are not loggers of many words that is for sure. I will check the books to see whether they were actually there.

muzza
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by muzza » 29 June 10 9:26 pm

Dadandadd also logged one of my caches. I chose to send an email. Below is my email.

"Hi dadandadd,
I'm just a little curious. You've just logged a cache of mine (with the very minimal TFTC) dated October 4 2009, and yet you've only been a member for 10 days.
In fact all your finds were before you were a member, And all the logs that I've checked just have TFTC as the log, giving no indication that you actually visited the log.
I'm guessing that because you did them some time ago that you don't remember them, but as a cache owner, it's disappointing to receive just a TFTC under any other circumstances.
Is that what happened?"

Here is the response I received.

"We were a member under a different name but only became a Premium member the other day, under a new name ( our son didn't like the old one). We didn't log any finds under our old name. We recently move and I have only just found the papers with the list of Geos we have done over the years. It is a bit hard trying to remember things about each one we have done.
We weren't aware that we had to make comments at the time, and as it wouldn't let me enter the find without putting one in, we just used what some others had.
Hopefully we will take notes in future as we find them to update to the logs."

It seems reasonable to me (for some reasone, they never logged the caches under the original name). You may make up your own minds.

Muzza