Caching Holiday in Tasmania- suggestions on caches to get?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
rissl

Caching Holiday in Tasmania- suggestions on caches to get?

Post by rissl » 04 June 10 11:04 pm

Hi all,
We are heading of to Tasmania this school holidays (early July) I am going with my husband and daughter and it's our first trip to Tasmania. We will be hiring a car and holidaying for 9 days. (It's not set in concrete yet but we think we will be doing a round loop from Hobart to Strahan to Launceston back to Hobart)
husband is NOT a goecacher :cry: and is only just starting to allow me to pull over on the way somewhere to run in and find the piece of plastic in the woods.
I will therefor be restricted on the number of caches I am allowed to collect on our holiday so need to make sure the ones I did try and get are the best ones.
To encourage my darling husband to adopt this fantastic activity I need to find caches that are in amazing places - places with great views or cool buildings or historical significance etc. (We found one called Paradise in Vic and it was perfect for him to see why geocaching is sooooo great- It was just beautiful and we never would have discovered it if it wasn't for geocaching!)
Any ideas :?:

Thanks!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Caching Holiday in Tasmania- suggestions on caches to get?

Post by CraigRat » 04 June 10 11:11 pm

There's a few easy ones up the top of Mt Wellington in Hobart that have KILLER views. You won't be disappointed!

As for restricted in time and 'best ones' well, they are pretty much mutually exclusive usually :cry:

(Also, if you have time, instead of going Launceston tp hobart via the boring Midlands highway, consider the East Coast... it's a little longer, but a heck of a lot more interesting (and prettier) in my opinion)

rissl

Post by rissl » 04 June 10 11:36 pm

That's for the info. I really appreciate it. Our itinerary is a blank slate at this stage so we are open to ALL ideas! I did see Wineglass Bay on Getaway last night and we loved the look of that!

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 04 June 10 11:44 pm

Before caching I did a loop up the east coast from Hobart, then cut across to Launceston and back down the Midland Highway. The scenery up the east coast was much better, though the Midland Highway does cut through a few interesting old English type towns if you are into that sort of thing. The drive from Launceston up to Burnie is also nice if you have the time.

While you are in Hobart, if you get a chance to check out Salamanca Markets they are definitely worth a look.

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 04 June 10 11:56 pm

Just a few suggestions from our trip to Tassie early last year...

Around Eaglehawk Neck area
GCKC1R Poor Puppies - an interesting story and an easy find
GC12YB6 Tasman Arch - an Earth cache at an interesting place. Worth spending 30 minutes to look around. You'll need your camera to log the "find"
GCT7VH Tessellated Pavement - a traditional, but could easily be an earth cache.

GCN3H7 Cavernous Cache is about 90minutes back along the road toward Hobart. The cache is nothing special but it is worth a stop at the caves for a tour - very impressive.

Only if you have a few spare hours - the most southern point you can drive to. About 200m walk from the carpark for an easy find at a very remote place.
GC156CA Thar She Blows

At craigrat implies; interesting and easy don't usually go together. Tassie is a very scenic place, but allow plenty of time for travel - it takes a lot longer to get anywhere when you're driving in hilly country.

Cheers
Waz

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 June 10 12:10 am

<shameless plug>
Also, don't forget tassie has a mammoth amount of GCA caches (physical and trigpoint ones) making up almost 30% of available caches in tassie, so don't forget your GCA gpx :lol: http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/tas.gpx
</shameless plug>

Richary

Post by Richary » 05 June 10 12:32 am

CraigRat wrote:Also, don't forget tassie has a mammoth amount of GCA caches (physical and trigpoint ones) making up almost 30% of available caches in tassie
So as a visitor make sure where you drop any GC trackables from the mainland \:D/

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 06 June 10 7:37 pm

Have a look at my profile, and logs from our recent 20 days in Tassie. Our score was around 300 while there. If you have 1/2 a day out of Hobart, and dont mind a bit of expence, Melaleuca, in the South West Wilderness area, is a fantastic cache in a fantastic location. Contact Par Avion Aviation at Cambridge airport with regards flights to get to this cache. In the 4 or so hours, you get a flight around the bottom of Tassie, then a guided tour of Deny Kings place, then a flight back to Hobart over the rugged inland of the South West Wilderness area. This was, by far, our most enjoyable cache find on our trip. It WILL also almost certainly be your southernmost cache find in Australia.

Mt Wellington has a couple to grab, The Rocketship, and the one on the trig point can be adventurous if its blowing a bit, like 50+kph when we were up there, as well as a few on the road up.

For spectacular scenery, not necessarily caching related, travel up to Ben Lamond ski resort, out of Launceston. The last few KM, climbing Jacobs Ladder (search for it on Youtube) is spectacular.

Shoot me an email if you want some more info.

Cheers
Bundy

Dippedidooda
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Dippedidooda » 07 June 10 9:08 pm

Sounds like you'll be driving down the Midlands Highway at some point.
There's always the Campbell Town Convict Brick Trail GC1FFGW
and This is Art GA1818 in Campbelltown.
Continuing on, there are lots of drivebies but Childhood Memories GC10816 is fun (takes 1/2 hour or so) you see some of the topiaries you'd otherwise miss. Also down the Midlands, Ross is worth a drive through, at least to see the convict bridge there, and The Commandants what????GCKGTY gave me a laugh when I did it.
Down the MIdlands getting nearer to Hobart: They Found a Cache GC160MG – This is a cracker of a cache/place to visit: at Chauncy Vale. Not overly visited. Another of those wouldn't have got there if not for caching places.

On Mt Wellington, I love Squiddly Diddly, GCW85W - it's not at the summit, but it's one of those I never would have known spots. Near there you can also get Bicep GC1DMAF – which is along a new multipurpose track (for mountain biking as well as walking) called the North South Track and that's quite impressive to see. You can walk along that for about 1/2 hour or so to Junction Cabin (lunch?) There's so many great spots and walking on the mountain.

If you happen to go up New Norfolk way, Handsome Cave GC1H4D9 – great walk up to caves.

We come in Peace GC1DA0H – fun night time cache to do at the top of Mt Nelson

Salt Works is nice on the east coast, and it's quite nice to do Spiky at the Spiky Bridge if you're driving by it.

And I liked Convict Road at Orford too.

Also, I love Dial One for Gnomon near Penguin, because it is only a short drive from Penguin, only about a 1/2 hour walk up, and the views are just gorgeous. But not sure if you'll be in that area.

Hope that's a help. Have fun!

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 07 June 10 10:11 pm

The oldest cache in Tassie is "North Tassie" in Launceston - GC388. It's the oldest cache I've found.

AmboGuy

Post by AmboGuy » 08 June 10 5:26 am

If I were you, I would do "the russions are coming" GCM2N6 Kangaroo Bluff fort

Located around Victoria Esp and King St's, Bellerieve, (while there check out the Bellerieve oval nearby)

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=2673

When I go to Tassie for a visit, I will be doing this one. I used to look after this fort when I was with Tas. Parks and Wildlife Service some time ago.

Have a good trip in Tassie, take a good memory card for your camera, you will need it. Every turn in the road is a photo op in this, the Jewel of Australia.

rissl

Post by rissl » 27 June 10 11:49 am

Wow! Thanks sooo much to the caching community of Australia for all of your helpful replies!! I am so grateful for your suggestions and fot taking the time to reply.
We are leaving tomorrow for the big trip so will hope to a) be allowed to find some great caches :lol: and b) convince my darling husband that caching is great fun!
Thanks again