917 Finds... In 24 hours. What the?!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: 917 Finds... In 24 hours. What the?!

Post by covert » 01 July 10 6:19 pm

Geodes wrote:I find your implication that a superior number of finds puts a person on some sort of higher moral plane to the rest of us a little disturbing [-X
A question, Not a implication. By design to insight reaction.

(edit - read this post in context with the other posts)
Last edited by covert on 01 July 10 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 July 10 6:38 pm

Inciting a reaction can also be considered trolling.
Not an accusation, a public service announcement.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 July 10 7:35 pm

I don't personally feel the desire to do a power trail and try and hit any sort of numbers like that. That said if one did appear I might try it to see how long before I got bored. And would probably never return.

But that's my feelings on how I personally want to play the game. Yes I enjoy the odd numbers run, but I also enjoy a bushwalk with one cache at the end of it. Or just getting out of the house for a couple of hours on a weekend afternoon and finding 2-3. For those people who want to go out and try to set records or hit those huge numbers in one day - good for you if that's how you enjoy the hobby. It doesn't affect me or my enjoyment.

I guess there is criticism of numbers runs by those who don't do them. To put the shoe on the other foot - how would you feel if someone started a thread bagging people who only find 1 or 2 in a day? Sorry - every caching day must include at least 20 finds or you aren't playing the game properly :twisted:

Live and let live, as long as you play the game the way you enjoy then that's all that counts. And I don't care if you have 10 finds or 10,000 - we are all in the same hobby for the same reasons. Note I didn't go to 1 find, too many people find a couple then lose interest.

squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 01 July 10 10:34 pm

Yep... It's up to the individual. If someone lays out a power trail here, there will be a whole swag of cachers going for all sorts of records. FTF, fastest, do them all at night... you name it, someone will make a game out of it. Let's face it, the GC community is made up of a group of innovators. This is what is so attractive about the pastime. I reckon if you think it's got legs, try it. It might flop, or might not.

firesafe
10000 or more caches found

Post by firesafe » 01 July 10 11:43 pm

Well the Z has laid down a time of 92 minutes for the APM series - for those interested. \:D/

Apty would have the slowest time - with about 2 months so far and not complete as yet. :lol:

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 01 July 10 11:53 pm

I always thought logging finds was done when you or someone you're with find a container and sign the log, but perhaps I've been wrong all along! Given I work full time and am never going to have massive numbers, I'm not bothered how many others get, but it must be annoying for those who are among the top few finders in the country (here, the US or wherever) if some competitors aren't actually there for some logged finds.

I used to play cricket, but now it takes too much out of a Saturday afternoon which is better spent out in the countryside. :)

hanjac

Post by hanjac » 02 July 10 11:07 am

I have just completed 101 caches in 24 hours in Adelaide, on my own. I can say each cache has the signiture hanjac in it.

We do all however use this crazy hobby for our own adventures our own enjoyment.

Whatever floats someones boat.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 02 July 10 11:23 am

hanjac wrote:I have just completed 101 caches in 24 hours in Adelaide, on my own. I can say each cache has the signiture hanjac in it.

We do all however use this crazy hobby for our own adventures our own enjoyment.

Whatever floats someones boat.
=D>

And did you have a good time?

hanjac

Post by hanjac » 02 July 10 12:56 pm

Loved every minute of it. Certainly pushed myself but for my own enjoyment.

Apty
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: Apty

Post by Apty » 02 July 10 2:13 pm

Wow - I'm famous - I got a mention by firesafe 8)

I live 100 km south of the APM Series, but my kids live 20km east, and a friend lives right in the middle of the series. I sometimes _USED_ to stay overnight at my friend's house when I visited my kids so I didn't have to travel up in the morning. The first few I found were 11pm on a frosty winter night, so I was not in a hurry to complete the whole series.
Also, I like to find out something about the PM and include it in my log.
Friend who has been known to spit-the-dummy (see mundoo for a reference) is now an EX-friend, so I won't be _USING_ him (his words), so there's a pretty good chance I might complete the series in a big hurry, maybe, one day, when the mood hits, or I might not!

Thanks firesafe for the series - I bet this little ex-kiwi knows more about the first few APMs than 99% of Aussies. :lol:

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 02 July 10 2:27 pm

firesafe wrote:Well the Z has laid down a time of 92 minutes for the APM series - for those interested. \:D/

Apty would have the slowest time - with about 2 months so far and not complete as yet. :lol:
No Julia ?

If

Post by If » 04 July 10 7:46 pm

Perfectly possible !!

All you need is a Tardis 8)

or Maybe their cachemobile is a Porsche :-$

or Whatever Americans Need Kaching Et's Roads :P