917 Finds... In 24 hours. What the?!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Re: 917 Finds... In 24 hours. What the?!

Post by Facitman » 25 June 10 5:29 pm

There was a field report on Podcacher this week from a guy who tackled a power-trail solo.

175 caches over 40 miles, he had 1 DNF so found 174 and did it in just under 6 hours. #-o He then grabbed a lazy 27 caches to make 200 for the day. :shock:

It sounded like he did it by bicycle, driving to the start of each power-trail. So if he could keep up that pace it's 700 in 24 hours

Was happy he did it but wasn't in a hurry to do it again. =D>

Each to their own (Makes Rhinogeo and myself seem lazy with our then Australian record of 44 in a day)

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 25 June 10 8:13 pm

Yurt wrote:I'd be lucky to be able sign a log that many times in that space of time. They probably just stamp it.
It's even funnier than that - Apparently on these mega power trails it's pretty common to see team stickers just whacked on the outside of the cache container in the interest of saving time.... I guess it's a pretty safe bet that the owner isn't going to be checking them all particularly often!

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 25 June 10 10:54 pm

And I thought the idea of hiding a cache was either to challenge the finder or take the person to an interesting spot to enjoy. :-k

How can this crazy numbers caching fit with either :roll:

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 25 June 10 11:00 pm

ruzzelz wrote:And I thought the idea of hiding a cache was either to challenge the finder or take the person to an interesting spot to enjoy. :-k

How can this crazy numbers caching fit with either :roll:
Exactly. It's one thing to sit down, get a team together, spend ages planning a massive hunt in a city, and try to log as many caches in 24 hours hidden by different people, at different places, in different ways.... then to run along the road picking up a mint tin every 60 seconds probably hidden in the exact same spot/way every time and call it a find. Honestly!

Thats what multi's are for. Sure, These power series could be a good way to test your level of crazyness... but they should be one 100 WP multi, not individual finds!

joffa1970

Post by joffa1970 » 26 June 10 12:19 am

Does this 'team' have Personal Assistants to LOG after the finds?
Personally, 20 - 30 for me would be a GREAT day. that is 10% of what has taken nearly 18 months.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 26 June 10 12:22 am

A cache every 90 seconds for 24 hours... ](*,)

A cache every 7 minutes for 24 hours was draining enough...

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 26 June 10 5:25 am

Zalgariath wrote:
Captain Terror wrote:As if on a slightly different brain wave, Australia shouldn't attempt a world record Power Trail. I'm thinking a cache every 160m along say, the Nullarbor. Or maybe from Darwin all the way to Adelaide.
Let's See... "The 90 Mile Straight" which forms part of the Eyre highway and crosses the Nullabor is the 2nd longest piece of dead straight road in the world. It is 147.6km long. At 160m per cache that is 923 caches! :shock: Now the good news... there is about ooooooo 500km of not very much on either side of the "Straight". You do the math... thats a lot or caches for the numerically insane. On the plus side, the 'Eclipse' compnay would LOVE YOU! hahahaha :lol:
If this were Facebook: 'Like'
Probably could get 2000 caches done in a matter of days. Awesome.
Zalgariath wrote:
homedg wrote:You would spend more than 60secs per cache dodging soft roaders towing caravans.
Hahaha :lol: not to meantion the distinct lack of hiding spots... no gaurd rails, no trees, just scrub and rocks... thats a LOT of camo rocks to cross the desert :-k
Being the Nullarbor, I'm sure a bit of brown paint of an eclipse tin stood on the side of the road would suffice. Not like it's muggle central out there.

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 26 June 10 7:54 am

Each to their own but it is not my idea of caching. Everyone of my (at time of posting) 492 were found, handled and signed by me. Apart from one day when I deliberately went for the numbers, most caches were selected because they sounded interesting or included a nice walk etc.
Working in teams to achieve these numbers takes a bit of the awe off those on the top of the lists. Maybe we should have a two lists, a teams list and an individuals list.

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 26 June 10 8:14 am

=D>
bshwckr wrote:Each to their own but it is not my idea of caching. Everyone of my (at time of posting) 492 were found, handled and signed by me. Apart from one day when I deliberately went for the numbers, most caches were selected because they sounded interesting or included a nice walk etc.
Working in teams to achieve these numbers takes a bit of the awe off those on the top of the lists. Maybe we should have a two lists, a teams list and an individuals list.
Couldnt agree more. Fortunately, most " Geocaching Teams " place a cache to highlight a place of interest ,eg: lookout, nature reserve, historical spot, remote walking track, scenic view and many other reasons. Thats why they are chosen to seek out and you trust most geocachers are trying to show you a place you might not know about. =D>

Whats next....a pill bottle under a rock every 200m from Melbourne to Brisebane. Whats the point. :shock:

Common sense shows most new caches are a place of interest and lets hope it stays that way . :D :D :D

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 26 June 10 9:33 am

It does sound more like a job than a hobby/interest/pursuit.

Caching runs like this should be seen like Test cricket records against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. They count but they aren't really worth the same.

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 26 June 10 6:29 pm

To each their own,
I imagine there was a fair bit of planning, strategy, effort and stamina put into this run.
Most likely a sense of accomplishment and a lot of high fives afterwards.
If they got a buzz out of it, good on 'em. =D>

I remember doing a 24 hour run. Got nowhere near record status, but it was as much about the adventure as it was about the numbers. A memorable experience I'll never forget, just as it must have been for these guys and gals.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 26 June 10 11:23 pm

joffa1970 wrote:Personally, 20 - 30 for me would be a GREAT day.

I think our max in one day was 29. Anything nearing 20 finds in one day just starts getting boring, as they are all going to be stop-start drive-by geocaching, which, to us, has it's limits of appeal.

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » 27 June 10 12:16 am

J_&_J wrote:
joffa1970 wrote:Personally, 20 - 30 for me would be a GREAT day.

I think our max in one day was 29. Anything nearing 20 finds in one day just starts getting boring, as they are all going to be stop-start drive-by geocaching, which, to us, has it's limits of appeal.
I know the feeling. I can have days where I'm grabbing caches left right and centre, and sometimes after a while, I start to get bored, and I decide to give up, would hate for caching to get boring.

ruzzelz

Post by ruzzelz » 27 June 10 8:42 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I know the feeling. I can have days where I'm grabbing caches left right and centre, and sometimes after a while, I start to get bored, and I decide to give up, would hate for caching to get boring.
I'm with you Captain Terror - 20/day is my tolerance limit :-k and that is not a time thing either as I have spent 8++ hours to collect 2 caches in a day. However that was high on a mountain \:D/

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 27 June 10 8:58 am

Yurt wrote:Caching runs like this should be seen like Test cricket records against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. They count but they aren't really worth the same.
Hahahaha Gold! :lol:
homedg wrote:I imagine there was a fair bit of planning, strategy, effort and stamina put into this run.
Most likely a sense of accomplishment and a lot of high fives afterwards.
If they got a buzz out of it, good on 'em.
Especially Stamina! Don't get me wrong, awesome acheivement... and let's not forget the poor bastard who HID ALL ONE THOUSAND CACHES! Even the dodgiest eclipse tin cache with log, pencil, stash note and water proofing bag would have taken WEEKS to to prepare, hide, record co-ords, and get online.... bet the local reveiwers LOVED these guys that week...

Hey Papa Bear?! How would waking up to find 2000 cache approvals stretching every 160m across the Nullarbor feel? :D hahahahahahahaha :twisted: