NSW Parks

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
AmboGuy

NSW Parks

Post by AmboGuy » 07 June 10 6:11 pm

I read somewhere a while ago that NSW Parks does not allow caching, here is a link to the British Columbia Parks policy, signed by the E.D. and assistant Deputy Minister (I assume that is the assistant of the assistant of the minister's assistant)

Hope this can in some way help those in the battle in maybe suggesting to them how others have accepted Geocaching, plus the fact we visit the parks and REMOVE THEIR RUBBISH, tell them about CITO.

When I get to Oz, I want to be able to cache in parks.

Are any other States the same?

http://www.bcgeocaching.com/pdf/BC_Park ... Policy.pdf

Guy

B.C, Ca

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: NSW Parks

Post by PesceVerde » 08 June 10 12:58 pm

Thanks AmboGuy.
Reference to this BC policy may also be helpful in Queensland.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » 08 June 10 6:52 pm

Why doesn't that surprise me? I mean, what are you allowed to do in Nat Parks in NSW? Talk about a police state ... :x And that's exactly right, I don't imagine they have the brains to work out that people like cachers do the right thing and take rubbish that isn't theirs in the first place away with them ... don't get me started ... :evil:

Pandora

Post by Pandora » 08 June 10 7:32 pm

Just googled this regarding geocaching in NSW Nat Parks, or lack thereof :x

http://www.geocachingnsw.asn.au/index.p ... onal-parks

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 08 June 10 9:13 pm

There's a long history to this and a lot of passion.

Firstly, I wouldn't say NPWS has no brains as this isn't true and wouldn't be helpful in any negotiations geocachers might have in trying to NPWS's mind.

It should be noted that there haven't, until recently, been much in the way of communication with NPWS from members of the geocaching community. Most of the information they have garnered has been from the early days of geocaching, along with a dash of guesswork. For example, they believed until recently that all geocaches were buried - something that only occurred in 2000.

Geocaching NSW, along with a number of individuals outside of the association, have been speaking with NPWS over the past two years educating them on what geocaching is.

Ambguy: we have been using the Canadian experience as a model for what can be achieved in NSW.

There are lots of threads in the NSW section of this forum.

You'll also find more information here - http://www.geocachingnsw.asn.au/index.p ... ayout=blog

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 08 June 10 9:22 pm

Geocaching in BC Parks at first was disallowed - it took the BCGA a fair bit of negotiation and hard work with BC Parks to change that.

Parks Canada (National) also has guidelines, and Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba Provincial Parks are cache friendly as well.