trial 3D channel 40

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
tronador
6500 or more caches found

trial 3D channel 40

Post by tronador » 06 June 10 8:46 pm

This has absolutely nothing to do with caching but I'm sure some very smart techy cacher out there knows the answer.

Why is it that I can't see a picture on this channel yet others can on their TV. I have a HDTV LCD. I see nothing but have sound. Someone else I know has a HD plasma and they get a picture but is in split screen format. Neither of us has a 3 D TV so that's not the issue and no we are not wearing those silly glasses.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Re: trial 3D channel 40

Post by Map Monkey » 06 June 10 9:13 pm

All about codecs i was told. If your TV can decode MPEG4 H.264 video you should see squashed side by side videos. I suspect your LCD TV doesn't have that codec and the plasma one does.

Hope that helps....about the extent of my knowledge. [-(

mm

tronador

Post by tronador » 06 June 10 9:29 pm

Map Monkey wrote:All about codecs i was told. If your TV can decode MPEG4 H.264 video you should see squashed side by side videos. I suspect your LCD TV doesn't have that codec and the plasma one does.

Hope that helps....about the extent of my knowledge. [-(

mm
Thanks that explains it. Is there any way of installing the codecs like you would on a PC media player?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 06 June 10 9:40 pm

I have checked on my low definition STB (I only have a low definition TV) and it won't pick it up on a scan. I haven't tried the HD box that I also have to see if it will recognise it as a channel.

The other thing to be aware of is that the trial channel is running lower power than the main stations so you may not get a signal if your antenna setup isn't that good. But if you can get Channel 44 (relay of C31) then you should be fine for 40. Until I upgraded my antenna the old 40 series trial broadcast was unusable.

As for updating your TV, if you post the model number someone might be able to advise if a newer firmware is available to allow the decoding.

On a side issue, the current 3D broadcast is just a trial licenced under a scientific licence for 2 months only. I have no idea if the technology being trialled is compatible with the existing digital signals being broadcast on other channels, if not then to allow all the stations to broadcast in 3D would require another 5 new channels to be allocated (currently there are I think 2 spare channels available in the Sydney bandplan). Those who are being sold 3D TVs aren't being told that the government has given no solid promise I can find that a permanent channel allocation for 3D signals will occur, I haven't been able to find anything concrete on the ACMA website about the trials or plans for the future.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 06 June 10 9:42 pm

I would imagine that a hardware thingymajig is required rather than a software/firmware upgrade. Check your TV manufacturers website for firmware updates.....i had to do this when we wanted to hook a new philips DVD player to a new philips LCD TV, otherwise it wouldn't work with the HDMI lead. ](*,) Firmware updates via a USB stick.

mm

tronador

Post by tronador » 06 June 10 9:58 pm

richary wrote: As for updating your TV, if you post the model number someone might be able to advise if a newer firmware is available to allow the decoding.
Thanks- Panasonic TX-32LWD500A

There is no USB on the TV but there is a PC monitor connection thingy. AND a multicard reader

tronador

Post by tronador » 06 June 10 10:32 pm

You guys have taught me so much. It's all good. Found this on the Panasonic website.
"Panasonic Australia will be conducting an Over the Air Download (O.A.D.) to update the firmware for the DMR-BW500 to V1.2 from Friday 26th September to Sunday 28th September."

May not fix the the codec but hey at least I'll know what the strange message that will appear on the TV set when it downloads. This is all amazing stuff. And i just checked I do have V 1.1 which is the original firmware that they mention.
\:D/

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 06 June 10 10:39 pm

The DMR-BW500 is a blue-ray recorder, not a superseded 32 inch LCD TV, :wink:

mm

tronador

Post by tronador » 06 June 10 10:49 pm

OK :oops: But this is what came up next to the TV stuff when I googled.