Is it okay log log a 'virtual' find for a nano cache?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Is it acceptable to claim a find by taking a photo (a la a virtual), instead of signing the log?

Poll ended at 28 June 10 1:07 am

No, you must sign the log scroll
49%
Yes, a photo with your online log is fair enough
26%
Epic fail, if you have a problem with signing the "logbook" take up another hobby
25%

Total votes: 73

The Empire
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Re: Is it okay log log a 'virtual' find for a nano cache?

Post by The Empire » 30 May 10 12:19 am

I love nanos, I love walking away with the cache and muggles looking at me as I struggle pulling the log scroll out secretly across the road from GZ! If you can't pull that thing out and scribble something legible down - mega fail! =D>

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 01 June 10 3:36 pm

solomonfamily wrote:I voted yes - so often the scroll can not be read anyway.
Does a nano imply an ALR (additional logging requirement) as the finder needs to bring equipment to extract and log.

Dad (aka King Snr) now includes in his kit a pin and screwdriver - but should have to include include a microscope, portable nanodot printer, finger print kit, DNA spectrum analysis gaget...
My only problem with my argument is that some nanos (majority not) are cleverly designed to blend into the environment - frustrating yes, but passable

Fangsoki

Post by Fangsoki » 02 June 10 8:28 am

I would vote that it is okay if you took a photo of it. I have been in this situation before. What I did was get the tiniest square of paper and scrawled my name (event initials would be good) and date it. I put this underneath the full log in the nano (and it does have to be very full for me to resort to this). Also have to be careful to make sure the nano is sealed okay.

I saw one fellow leave a coin in a micro (because he had no pen) and logged a find - asking the next user to sign the log for him if they found the coin (he even speicified the year of the coin). I did sign the log for him because it was obvious he had found the cache.

Too often I see people log a find.. "found the cache - but could not reach it" or "didnt have a pen". These reasons dont wash with me.

If you cannot prove you have been at the cache - no matter what the size - then it isn't a find in my books.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 02 June 10 8:55 am

Found one slightly larger than a micro which I couldn't open for fear of breaking it. Previous finders had said it was getting very hard to open. I wrote on a small piece of paper and squeezed it inside through a gap. In hindsight I think I was just missing how to open it properly. A tool was necessary though - car keys wouldn't do it.

reesylou
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by reesylou » 02 June 10 11:35 am

Fangsoki wrote:Too often I see people log a find.. "found the cache - but could not reach it" or "didnt have a pen". These reasons dont wash with me.
Agreed. I recently return to a find a couple of weeks after I originally found it coz I didn't have a pen...only logged it the second time (when I signed it). Being only 5ft, not being able to reach a cache is not uncommon - I log a DNF and return with someone taller to help.

Regarding the original topic - I recently signed a nano log that was wedged in almost impossibly tight...I can imagine adding moisture to that and having a log it is impossible to extract without shredding the log... in that situation it is ok (with photo) I think. Same applies for a standard cache which is waterlogged.... in both cases as long as a needs maint log is also posted.

big dazza
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by big dazza » 02 June 10 11:01 pm

Pesky! wrote:
big dazza wrote:The log in most nanos is wrapped around a metal pin, simply use the magnet in the base of the container to lift the log out.
Cheers.
and where in the " guidelines of geocaching , any site, does it advise to wrap our nanos log around a metal pin?
'MOst' nanos are stuffed with scraps of paper pulp.the best of them may have a pin or extration tool attached to them.
Sorry, I should have said"The log in most nanos I have found is wrapped around a metal pin, simply use the magnet in the base of the container to lift the log out." and the guidelines don't mention it because you can buy the container with the log already prewrapped around the metal pin.I only posted this because of the amount of logs I see that say "I couldn't sign The log because I didn't have a pair of tweezers or other sharp instrument to remove the log from the container" and these are the ones with the metal pin, apparently not many people know this trick so I thought I was doing the community a service with my post.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me why I usually don't waste my time posting comments on forums.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 June 10 11:27 pm

Hi Big Dazza

They must use different nanos up there, most down here don't have a metal pin. That's cool, different styles for different areas as I have found in the past. But if the magnet is attached to the base, how do you get it to the top of the container to pull the pin? Or in Townsville do they stick the magnet to whatever it is attached to, then turn the nano around to pull the pin so to speak?

There's a few with metal pins but not most in Sydney :-&

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 June 10 11:55 pm

richary wrote:But if the magnet is attached to the base, how do you get it to the top of the container to pull the pin?
Richary, most nano logs fit in the lid as it is the smaller of the two halves. What you do is unscrew the container reverse the base and then place the magnet onto the log and pull apart. If there is a pin it will pull the log from the container.

I have seen plenty of these nano's I think it is a great idea.