Dual Cache Listing on GCA and GC.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Re: Dual Cache Listing on GCA and GC.

Post by homedg » 26 May 10 10:40 pm

I guess it all depends on how and which numbers really are important to you, including finds vs milestones vs have i got more than so and so vs clearing a radius clearing or whatever your into.
I reckon each to there own, log it, log it twice, transfer your log, place it on an ignore list.
There are plenty of options to suit all comers.

canary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by canary » 26 May 10 11:02 pm

Why does ONE cache need to be listed twice.

If it is listed on GC it will be listed on GCA.

If you want to list it only on GCA as show of support for this site and the people who use it, then do so.

I have small number of both and they will both grow. GC ones for the majority of cachers and people I have met, but a few GCA for the people who use this one.

I hope GCA continues to grow. I support them for their comprehensive statistics, their forum and just for being Australian.

But, please not two listings for one caches. I would even go so far as to support the rejecting of dual listings.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 26 May 10 11:58 pm

richary wrote:For getting people to visit a spot, the dual listing on terracaching and GC may increase visits, but I don't know if there is anyone in Australia purely using terracaching as a listing/finding site. I joined a few years ago, but nothing ever seemed to happen nearby so gave it away.
There are only 20 Terracaches in Australia and 15 of those are in Queensland. Unless you are near them there is really nothing on Terracaching for a cacher in Australia.

My impression of the Terracaching site is that it doesn't like dual listing and will actively get one or the other archived if they notice one appearing on their site. It was one of the rules they come up with when the original cachers broke from GC and formed Terracaching.

Having said that there is one cache in Victoria that is listed on GCA, GC & TC that has survived so far. It has 3 logs on TC, 9 on GCA and 25 on GC.

1 cacher, besides myself, has logged on all 3 listing sites and a couple of others on GCA and GC however there are no visitors that logged on TC or GCA that didn't log on GC also. The triple listing hasn't increased the number of visitors just the 'numbers' for a cacher.

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 29 May 10 12:09 pm

Our 10th anniversary GCA cache is accompanied by a GC cache not too far away in the hope of increasing patronage to the former. We had a nice location in mind for a couple of caches for some time and I initially considered, and would have preferred, placing two GCA caches. However, the location is fairly remote and involves a 5k walk, I knew even a GC cache wasn't going to be well visited, let alone a GCA cache.

In order to find the GC cache, you have to go past the GCA cache. I did advertise the GCA cache on the GC cache page, but the UMP made me remove it! (I probably should have read the guidelines first) In any event, most cachers will probably discover the GCA listing one way or another, and hopefully deviate slightly to it on the way to the more widely advertised site. Seemed like a good compromise.

I certainly would not double list them, as like most others, I find that really annoying. If you interested, the GCA cache is http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga2111 which contains a link to the other, but not unfortunately the other way around.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 29 May 10 1:00 pm

Coffee and Cache wrote:(I probably should have read the guidelines first)
Is it in the guidelines?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 May 10 1:45 pm

It's probably covered under the "solicitation" guideline.

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 29 May 10 2:57 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote: (How many Anniversary GCA caches are going to be re-listed on the international site, I wonder? There's at least one so far, who took the pathtag bribe and then, disappointed at the slow FTF and infrequent finds, re-listed it on geocaching.com.)
Not mine. :)

They run foul of the proximity rule even though neither is in sight (or same road even) of the others.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 29 May 10 5:31 pm

caughtatwork wrote:It's probably covered under the "solicitation" guideline.
I thought that related to solicitation of money and or advertising of commercial stuff?

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 29 May 10 6:37 pm

CraigRat wrote:
I thought that related to solicitation of money and or advertising of commercial stuff?

Seems to be a strict application - I had issues when trying to link to a Government site. :-k

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 May 10 7:27 pm

CraigRat wrote:
http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#solicit
Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.
GCA would be an "agenda" I assume.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 29 May 10 7:59 pm

I assume that GC see other listing sites as potential threats to their commercial viability. Sort of like serving Pepsi in a Coke-owned fast food franchise...

I can see their point. If the numbers of GC and GCA-listed caches were reversed, there'd be fewer Aussie Premium memberships sold, I think.

ruzzelz

Post by ruzzelz » 29 May 10 10:49 pm

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#solicit
Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.
Seems my attempt to link to a government site was deemed "political". #-o

After all - it was a fire safety warning for bushwalkers :-"

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 30 May 10 6:20 pm

Coffee and Cache wrote: I did advertise the GCA cache on the GC cache page, but the UMP made me remove it!
You can always leave some sort of calling card or something taped to the inside of your cache........directing cachers who have found the GC one, to have a go at the GCA one nearby. :-$

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 30 May 10 6:49 pm

tronador wrote:
Coffee and Cache wrote: I did advertise the GCA cache on the GC cache page, but the UMP made me remove it!
You can always leave some sort of calling card or something taped to the inside of your cache........directing cachers who have found the GC one, to have a go at the GCA one nearby. :-$
Hmm, maybe that's what I did :wink: