[OT] Look after penguins!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

[OT] Look after penguins!

Post by nomad_penguin » 21 May 10 9:37 pm

'Only you can change yourself, and only you can change the world and make it better for people as well as penguins.'
(Dee Boersma : see her TED talk here)

... so make it better for us. Oh, and people :wink:!

jyetara
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: [OT] Look after penguins!

Post by jyetara » 21 May 10 10:08 pm

I love penguins.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 22 May 10 10:33 am

Great speech! That's awful to hear about how many penguins get oiled from the bilge water discharged from ships.
Also odd it made no mention of commercial fishing impacting on why the penguins need to travel so far to feed.
The human impact on the Galapagos appeared to be very well managed to me.
I think the penguins there are most threatened by climate change. :(

stealth_ninja_penguin
1000 or more caches found

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 27 June 10 5:02 pm

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na ... -z2uo.html

http://www.news.com.au/national/bungle- ... 5884482626

I can't imagine that being burnt to death would be a nice way to die.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I'd add that it is also paved with incompetence, mismanagement and lack of accountability.

Not Happy Jan!

... or Kristina

Lucy
3000 or more caches found

Post by Lucy » 28 June 10 1:03 pm

stealth_ninja_penguin wrote:http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na ... -z2uo.html

http://www.news.com.au/national/bungle- ... 5884482626

I can't imagine that being burnt to death would be a nice way to die.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I'd add that it is also paved with incompetence, mismanagement and lack of accountability.

Not Happy Jan!

... or Kristina
Not sure that that is fair! They lose that many a week when the penguins hang themselves in the grass that they were trying to get rid of. Just media sensationalism - again.

stealth_ninja_penguin

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 28 June 10 9:40 pm

Lucy wrote:Not sure that that is fair! They lose that many a week when the penguins hang themselves in the grass that they were trying to get rid of. Just media sensationalism - again.
Another one who has missed the point completely :?

Habitat management needs to consider the inhabitants of it. The failure is in two points.

1. Animals were needlessly burnt alive. Being burnt alive, I imagine, would not be a pleasant experience. The deaths were cruel and avoidable.

2. While managing a noxious weed is a good idea, killing something you are trying to protect is counter intuitive. Here the risk analysis, risk management, background information (research, study etc), planning and execution of the burn off activity and accountability are all, in my view, flawed. How many can you kill before it's no longer a good idea (ret). This could have been done better.

Not media sensationalism.

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 29 June 10 10:31 am

stealth_ninja_penguin wrote:
Lucy wrote:Not sure that that is fair! They lose that many a week when the penguins hang themselves in the grass that they were trying to get rid of. Just media sensationalism - again.
Another one who has missed the point completely :?

Habitat management needs to consider the inhabitants of it. The failure is in two points.

1. Animals were needlessly burnt alive. Being burnt alive, I imagine, would not be a pleasant experience. The deaths were cruel and avoidable.

2. While managing a noxious weed is a good idea, killing something you are trying to protect is counter intuitive. Here the risk analysis, risk management, background information (research, study etc), planning and execution of the burn off activity and accountability are all, in my view, flawed. How many can you kill before it's no longer a good idea (ret). This could have been done better.

Not media sensationalism.
As a Veterinary Surgeon, a past president of the RSPCA, a member of multiple ethics committees and a consultant to the NPWS as well as a member of a NPWS advisory committee, I KNOW it was media sensationalism. While sad, these things are not always avoidable.

stealth_ninja_penguin

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 29 June 10 7:03 pm

Lucy wrote:As a Veterinary Surgeon, a past president of the RSPCA, a member of multiple ethics committees and a consultant to the NPWS as well as a member of a NPWS advisory committee, I KNOW it was media sensationalism. While sad, these things are not always avoidable.
Well that's an independent point of view of the media report..... NOT!
Maybe it's easier to blame the media for allegedly sensationalising an event (to throw people off the scent) than admitting something went wrong and fixing it. Perhaps you're feeling a need to defend out of guilt for past self failures.

The deaths were unavoidable, simple as that. They just needed to do a better job but didn't.
Lucy, you may be happy to accept second best or third or fourth. At least you are PAST president. Maybe you should get stuck in a bushfire and get burnt to death. Sounds like you'd be happy with that. You just don't get it. Ha, ha, ha.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 29 June 10 7:28 pm

I can see you are passionate about the issue SNP, but personal threats are not called for.

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 29 June 10 9:26 pm

stealth_ninja_penguin wrote:
Lucy wrote:As a Veterinary Surgeon, a past president of the RSPCA, a member of multiple ethics committees and a consultant to the NPWS as well as a member of a NPWS advisory committee, I KNOW it was media sensationalism. While sad, these things are not always avoidable.
Well that's an independent point of view of the media report..... NOT!
Maybe it's easier to blame the media for allegedly sensationalising an event (to throw people off the scent) than admitting something went wrong and fixing it. Perhaps you're feeling a need to defend out of guilt for past self failures.

The deaths were unavoidable, simple as that. They just needed to do a better job but didn't.
Lucy, you may be happy to accept second best or third or fourth. At least you are PAST president. Maybe you should get stuck in a bushfire and get burnt to death. Sounds like you'd be happy with that. You just don't get it. Ha, ha, ha.
Thanks for those kind thoughts SNJ. You are my Hero

Here is one penguin that likes me, 4wks in hospital and a successful release.