A hearty thanks from some of the Kiwis. Again. ;)

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
rediguana
10000 or more caches found

A hearty thanks from some of the Kiwis. Again. ;)

Post by rediguana » 19 April 10 9:28 pm

As some of you are well aware a handful of Kiwi's yet again made a raid on our flat, dry, big, western isle. The main event, like many others, was to obtain a shiny mega icon ;)

1. The Mega
Firstly, the Mega event was great. Such an eye opener in terms of the shear size and organisation. I'm not even going to try and go into the thanks and superlatives that others have heaped upon it. Let us just say Thank You. It was great to see so many geocachers in one place, and to run into so many geocachers out in the field - this was perhaps the coolest thing even. Never, ever, run into that many cachers in the field, even when running around town at 11pm on Friday night. Serious thank you to the Riverina committee that pulled it all together. =D> =D> =D>

It has got us thinking about how we could run a Mega in New Zealand, and whilst the seed has been sown, I think it will be a few years before we can get the numbers, and we'd be pretty reliant upon having a lot of support from Aussie cachers to come across. That being said, we thought Christchurch would probably be the best centre to have it in - good caching, good infrastructure, international airport, and gateway to the South Island where you just _have_ to go caching and have a field trip. But it is nothing more that a thought at this point. Riverina have set a pretty solid bar to beat.

2. Thanks to the placers of caches we found.
As we tend to go a little cache crazy at times, we did again this trip. We found ~820 caches in 16 days. Our trip started in Sydney, south to Cronulla, Batemans Bay, through to Canberra, down to Cooma, some weird path up and around to Albury, up to Wagga Wagga, over to Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong and Queenscliff, and finally some of the western suburbs of Melbourne before flying home. Took in NSW, ACT and VIC this trip. Clocked up 5.5k on Thrifty's poor rental Previa, that saw more dirt tracks that it will care to see again in its life time :twisted:

How to thank all the placers? That's hard. According to my stats from the trip, we found caches by 269 usernames. I've listed the top ten below. Thanks to each and every one of the 269 of you for sharing a little bit of Australia with us. =D> =D> =D>

1 (29) Roostaman
2 (24) vp4
3 (23) Fore!
4 (21) RedPaw64
5 (19) the farmers 5
6 (18) flyjabiru1
7 (17) Rescue-201
8 (17) TEAM DENMAR
9 (14) fozzy778
10 (14) Sol de lune

I've just been reading a couple of the logging threads, and I'd like to say a little from the perspective of a group undertaking a bit of a mission as we were. It can be quite difficult to remember each and every cache - even with field notes, tracklogs and the joy of Google Earth. Sometimes you just can't remember a cache and you have to resort to a generic and non-descript log. For me, that is a log of last resort - but one that I still had to use 20-30 times this trip. Given we were focusing on caching, we were out caching till 10-11 every night, and so were not logging each evening, and for most of us the logging didn't start till we were back home in NZ, a good 18 days after the first finds, and 800+ caches to try and remember. For me I think that was two solid days logging this past weekend. Our apologies if we couldn't write a good log for all of them. It is honestly very difficult for a trip like this to do that. You can suggest slowing down, but frankly, that ain't gonna happen - we're here to cache hard till we go home ;)

I am going to single out Big Matt and Shell here for thanking me for taking the time to try and write distinct logs. It was actually nice as a finder, getting thanks from a hider, for understanding the difficulty on such a mission to actually write 800+ distinct logs. Thanks Matt =D>

3. Milestones aplenty
We managed to chalk up a number of milestones on the trip. ADV found his 6000th cache. I found my 5000th. Tofska found his 4000th, and Pohutukawa his 2000th. Additionally, I know Moneydork and I clocked up our 2000th Australian finds, and ADV and tofska must have been close to doing the same. I think I've just passed 1000 NSW finds. We're starting to feel quite at home over here :D Near the end of the trip, we figured we had about 27k combined finds sitting in the rental. Meaningless? Of course. But we still found that a quaint little factoid.

4. Favourite caches
Yes we'll add some, but I need to prompt the others, and I need to go back through my logs and find my favourite 5-10 caches. There were some stunners out there. I was disappointed that we couldn't try any of the Rubik's series in Wagga, as it is likely to be a long time before we return there - disappointing giving the rave reviews we saw in some of the logs. Hope they manage to last till we get back to have a go at them.

5. An invite
Our cache is your cache. We'd love to see more Australians coming over to the Shakey Isles and doing some caching here. I know we've got a few Aussies coming over in the next couple of months - we're planning a couple of meet the Aussie cacher events in Christchurch. Make yourself at home. If you want to hook up with locals, come see us on http://forums.gps.org.nz/ - we're friendly and we won't bite (this is also one of the benefits of caching in NZ ;) ). I also want to see an Australian team come over and do a raid in Christchurch and set a big record in NZ. Most of the cachers here in NZ that would do that have already cached hard in Christchurch, so we're looking to an Australian team to do it. FYI - Christchurch is very like Adelaide, sister cities and all - hint hint ;) Give us subtle notice, and we might be able to make sure a few more trads are placed. And before someone asks the obvious, yes a return trip to Adelaide will occur at some point. We're just saving up the caches :twisted:

Anyway, thanks so much for the Mega, and thanks so much to all the cachers that placed caches we were able to find on our trip. =D>

No thanks to those we couldn't. :twisted: hehe

Cheers Gav aka rediguana

PS some trip stats from GSAK
PPS those that heard Moneydork on Geotalk a couple of months back will remember him suggesting 600-800 caches for the upcoming trip - we even got that number wrong...

Moneydork

Re: A hearty thanks from some of the Kiwis. Again. ;)

Post by Moneydork » 19 April 10 10:22 pm

And to thnk that most beople that I talked to subsequently throught that I was full of s**t with my 600 to 800 estimate.

As with Gavin, I'd like to thank the MEGA committee on an excelent job that will be tough to come close too, never mind compete against. Also, thanks to the numerous placesr whose caches we found.

I think that I actually found my 2000th Australian cache on a previous trip (I'm over 2850 now).
I've now found more caches in NSW than in the North Island of NZ.
In my bid to become an honory Australian, I should crack the 3000 Australian cache finds mark in Tassy in June

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 19 April 10 10:56 pm

Some awesome numbers there guys - don't think I could keep up that sort of pace for 16 days. 51+ caches per day on average!

Glad you enjoyed the Australian hospitality - and while I have cached in Auckland on a work trip, and Wellington visiting my sister last year have yet to make the South Island. Not this year, maybe next. But it won't be a record attempt - just sightseeing and picking some up along the way.

tofska

Post by tofska » 20 April 10 8:31 am

My thanks also to the many cache hiders for our finds - and to the MEGA event organisers, for much more than the inspiration for our trip.

Caching around Wagga Wagga over Easter was truly bizarre - all the muggles weren't muggles! It must have been even more bizarre for real muggles.

This style of caching road trip is certainly a whole different type of geocaching experience. Full on and very focused, but one I think I adapt to well. Next time I'm going to pack as if I'm going on remote kayaking expedition, and definitely with more pairs of socks and undies! I must thank especially Gav and Wayne for doing most of the planning, navigating, driving, data banking, etc etc.

The cache that stands out most in my mind would be the "Eureka TB Exchange" (GC257RW) in Ballarat. What a fantastic effort made on that 'real' TB hotel.

Cheers, M@

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 20 April 10 8:44 am

Moneydork wrote:In my bid to become an honory Australian, I should crack the 3000 Australian cache finds mark in Tassy in June
That reminds me, I should go and re-set the Kiwi traps then :lol:

rediguana

Post by rediguana » 20 April 10 10:59 am

CraigRat wrote:That reminds me, I should go and re-set the Kiwi traps then :lol:
I hope you've got a few - you'll need them come June ;)

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 20 April 10 11:53 am

rediguana wrote:I am going to single out Big Matt and Shell here for thanking me for taking the time to try and write distinct logs. It was actually nice as a finder, getting thanks from a hider, for understanding the difficulty on such a mission to actually write 800+ distinct logs. Thanks Matt =D>
No Worries Gav. I know how hard it can be an I appreaciate it when someone takes the time so I thought I'd make it known.

Sorry we never got a chance to catch up but we may get a chance to bump into each other soon on your side of the Tasman...

Moneydork

Post by Moneydork » 20 April 10 8:01 pm

CraigRat wrote:
Moneydork wrote:In my bid to become an honory Australian, I should crack the 3000 Australian cache finds mark in Tassy in June
That reminds me, I should go and re-set the Kiwi traps then :lol:
Where abouts in Tassy are you?
A kiwi trap involving beer and a meal with some local cachers along with an "attend event" smilie might well do it.
Let me know if you're keen on arranging one and I'll let you know when when we'll be in your corner of Tassy.

Cheers, Wayne (Moneydork).
Last edited by Moneydork on 20 April 10 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rediguana

Post by rediguana » 20 April 10 8:03 pm

Moneydork wrote:A kiwi trap involving beer and a meal with some local cachers along with an "attend event" smilie might well do it.
Ooohhhhhh. Now that is a guaranteed way to trap Kiwi's :D

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 20 April 10 8:16 pm

I'm in Launceston in Northern Tassie

not afraid of a feed and a chat either :lol:

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 20 April 10 8:28 pm

Well, heres one for you. When, not if, you hold a mega event in Un Zud, Mrs Bundy and I will be there. We actually havent got a huge interest in travelling overseas, even though one of Mrs Bundys brothers and family lives in Auckland, as there is too much of Oz that we havent seen, BUT, a mega event in NZ would be sufficent reason to take the plunge and get our passports.

Cheers
Bundy

macandrita
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by macandrita » 20 April 10 9:31 pm

Hi Gav and fellow Kiwis,
Last time we cached in NZ we used a 70,000 tonne Ocean Liner for our Geomobile. It was great especially in Auckland where the first cache was 50 metres from the end of the gangplank. We are back for 3 weeks in mid February starting at the top end and ending in Queenstown. We will be based at 3 venues spending a week in and around these areas. We will post in the NZ forum like we did last time and would love to be part of an event while we are there.
Mac and Rita

Moneydork

Post by Moneydork » 21 April 10 8:40 pm

CraigRat wrote:I'm in Launceston in Northern Tassie

not afraid of a feed and a chat either :lol:
Cool. I've got relatives (an Aunt and Uncle) who have recently moved there from Western Australia, so we'll probably spend a couple of days there. I'll post a post later with some options.

Moneydork

Post by Moneydork » 22 April 10 8:57 pm

Ok, dates that would suit in Launceston.
We fly into Lauceston (ex Melbourne) on the evening of 14/6/10, so the following day - 15th June would suit.
We fly out of Launceston (to Melbourne) on the morning of 20/6/10 so the previous day 19th June is another good option.

Cheers,
Moneydork.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 22 April 10 8:59 pm

19th Being a Saturday might be real good for an event, plus you'll have tales of Tassie to tell us.

I'll open a thread in the Tasmanian section in the morning!