10th anniversary Cool things to note!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Re: 10th anniversary Cool things to note!

Post by noikmeister » 18 April 10 5:10 am

Pesky! wrote:OK lets change the Subject of this thread to , Statistics, and who can bag/dispute. disprove them!
:stabby if its all right with thos who can. can you either remove this thread or rename it as its gone off on a tangent i had not anticipated.
but thanks for the inout!
Yes I was looking forward to more old timers coming forward...

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 18 April 10 10:33 am

The 10 Years! Sydney event (http://coord.info/GC268BJ) has an amazing list of 'old timers' coming along - including the hider of the first cache (kerravon). Seems there will be a lot of nostalgia.

The Rats

Post by The Rats » 19 April 10 11:08 am

I feel like a youngen' when I see some of those c@w stats and I started way back in Jan 2002. My first find and the closest cache to home was 30km away and whilst the the owner is no longer a cacher, his cache is still active today. Today that same 30km radius has some 278 active caches hidden in it........ No wonder this game has got so much easier.

My first FTF was on the 15/3/02. Back then there was no race like there is today, you could wait 3 or 4 days and still know that you had a fair chance of the FTF honours.

My first hide was on the 27/1/02 Gc3606 and its still active.

Locationless caching (now part of waymarks) was one of the crazier methods of finding a cache.
Movable caches, which own a few was and is another fun way we use to cache.

It'll be good the catch up and chew the fat at the Sydney get-together. =D>

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 19 April 10 11:17 am

The Rats wrote:
My first FTF was on the 15/3/02. Back then there was no race like there is today, you could wait 3 or 4 days and still know that you had a fair chance of the FTF honours.
Move up to the north coast of NSW. You can still get a FTF that way...

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 20 April 10 6:13 pm

I see there is an event planned for a couple of weeks before the anniversary but is anyone planning to do "Lane Cove GC3E" (love that code) on the anniversary itself? Have been saving this one up - unfortunately it's on a Tuesday but as it's less than 10km from home half of Yurt can probably make it.
Pity the original is long gone.
The oldest cache we've found is Sydney Geocache Relocated! (GC1F11) which was hidden on 11/11/2000. I note that hiders used their real names in those days and this one only hid one cache and never found one. I guess maybe they had another identity. Where was this cache before it was 'relocated'?

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 26 April 10 11:10 am

Yurt wrote: The oldest cache we've found is Sydney Geocache Relocated! (GC1F11) which was hidden on 11/11/2000. I note that hiders used their real names in those days and this one only hid one cache and never found one. I guess maybe they had another identity. Where was this cache before it was 'relocated'?
I quote myself and answer my own question - it was not far from where the 'new' one is now. Found it on the archived caches map. The old one was melted in a bushfire.

Something else I've just noticed - the description for Lane Cove has been changed by the owner (to stop the unnecessary trampling) and it has (rightly) been changed to a Virtual. Still got to do this one, saving it for the anniversary. Being a weekday it should be free entry to the park?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 26 April 10 6:46 pm

Yurt wrote:Being a weekday it should be free entry to the park?
You are still required to pay supposedly, but it's drop the money in the envelope rather than having someone on the gate. Your choice as to whether to risk getting a ticket in the few minutes it takes to get close to GZ and take a photo (preferably not to GZ itself as that involves bush bashing).

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 26 April 10 6:53 pm

There are a number of automatic pay machines that dispense a ticket - similar to the paid parking voucher machines you find across Sydney. I was out there on Saturday and passed quite a few.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 26 April 10 8:47 pm

I don't mind paying when I'm going to spend some time there but if it's just a drop through I'd prefer to stay a tightwad.
I used to drive in there and have lunch in various spots when I worked in the area some years back. Didn't have to pay then of course. Should get an annual membership if we're going to spend much time in NPWS areas I guess.