Where would you like to see the next Mega Event held?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

The next Mega evetn should be held in?

QLD
13%
NSW
10%
ACT
13%
VIC
21%
TAS
5%
SA
21%
WA
3%
NT
4%
NZ
11%

Total votes: 256

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: Where would you like to see the next Mega Event held?

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 14 April 10 10:57 am

Hoojar wrote: The last Victorian Jamboree was held at a Field Day site in Elmore.
http://www.elmorefielddays.com.au/Elmore_Events.asp.
Good facilities on site. Camping for 12000+, exhibition and catering pavilions, airstrip etc, but limited facilities in the nearby (4km) town of Elmore. Closest city is either Bendigo (south) or Echuca (north), both about 50km distant.

shonkylogic
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by shonkylogic » 15 April 10 11:13 pm

I know it's close to the Riverina, but Albury / Wodonga or Shepparton would still be fairly central and accessible for a majority of people

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 15 April 10 11:22 pm

shrek4 wrote:
GhostGums wrote:Shrek4, what about a scout jamboree site like Wagga.
Sure, exactly what I'm thinking, but where?
The site at Wagga Wagga
* Was close to regional services (large township)
* Many active caches close by
* Campsite had shower / toilet blocks of good quality and sufficient numbers
* Plenty of space for campers + vehicles, stage etc
* Catering facilities (kitchen) onsite
The list goes on........all in all, was a perfect spot really.
<p>
Wagga Wagga was and is a perfect location for a Mega event, and sponsorship. The committee put a lot of work in to the event, and for all we know there must have been many heated discussions on many issues, however it was a total operation by all the committee and it just worked.<p>
Wagga Wagga was just the right size for drumming up sponsorship in a town large enough to have what was needed and small enough to care. think about it imagine going to your local cheesecake shop in Melbourne or Sydney and ask for 20 cakes for a geocaching (what is that?) event. I was lucky enough to get Engel through friendship with the owner, but try and get Linfox to drop off a couple of trailers for a stage at no cost. <p>
What I am trying to say is Wagga Wagga was a complete success based on many aspects, and although there may be some who dont want to be involved next time, it is a wheel that doesn't need reinventing.

shrek4
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by shrek4 » 16 April 10 12:01 am

Well as far as I can tell then, Mr Coffee we either need to hold it again in Wagga Wagga (which I'd be more than happy to go to again) or pick up Wagga Wagga and move it to another location, SA and Vic are fairing well in the polls :lol:

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 16 April 10 12:58 am

shrek4 wrote:Well as far as I can tell then, Mr Coffee we either need to hold it again in Wagga Wagga (which I'd be more than happy to go to again) or pick up Wagga Wagga and move it to another location, SA and Vic are fairing well in the polls :lol:
<p>

It would be interesting to see how many of the Riverina committee would do it again, but it would also be great to see other geocachers giving it a different aspect and their own ideas.
As for location it would need many local teams willing to give it 110% for say 18 months in a town willing to give it 110% support and sponsorship. If there is a plan for Mega 2 it really needs to get itself going in the next 6 months, unless a daring group is considering next year.
Personally I think the NT Geographical Lambert centre of Australia would be a perfect location, BYO everything..lol
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... f8f473b88a

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 16 April 10 1:16 am

While it's a fun idea to discuss, the suggestions are all irrelevant unless there is a really local dedicated group of cachers prepared to make it happen. The Wagga Wagga guys did a fantastic job - they picked up the ball and ran with it. Albury was suggested, but as far as I know there isn't a dedicated group there and that's the most important thing.

I would suggest any of the capital cities could probably do it, but it might be too big. There would be too many people wanting to be involved, then get started, then lose enthusiasm or get distracted by real world things. At the last one it was a tight community of people. Too many cooks if you picked somewhere bigger?

I haven't voted because I don't really care. Wherever and whenever it is I will be there.

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 16 April 10 8:00 am

What he said !

Canberra probably could put on a good show with an active community but Easter is a bad time with National Folk festival taking over the logical showgrounds

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 16 April 10 8:42 pm

Agent Basil wrote:What he said !

Canberra probably could put on a good show with an active community but Easter is a bad time with National Folk festival taking over the logical showgrounds
<p>
The Grounds at Parliament look big and open, now that the indigenous have moved it could be Mega 2 tent city :lol: :roll: :roll:

Canberra does sound but the following would have to be addressed:
1 how many teams are there in Canberra
2 where is Canberra?
3 would they cancel the senate sitting for our event
4 would we have to invite the PM
5 who do we notify to say we are cachers not CIA placing messages in hidden containers
6 would we have to run the event on public servant hours or ordinary human hours
7 would the committee provide real road maps that actually get you around Canberra instead of around and around
8 would Canberra name a suburb/street in honour of a Mega event like: Was OZ Mega Wagga Wagga now Mega 2 in Canberra 2012 Rd

I will add I love Canberra and the locals have been fantastic every time we have visited.

My only 2 cents worth to this thread is Please to not turn a future Mega event into a play of our state can do it better than yours, or we are a better state. I am a Australian cacher who resides in Victoria.

rediguana
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by rediguana » 19 April 10 10:33 pm

A Kiwi's perspective on Wagga:
Thought we might have had a few more Kiwi's come over for it, as I didn't think it was that inaccessible. Then again, being school holidays and Easter may have made getting international flights, bringing the kids, and getting camping equipment a lot harder to organise. As Kiwi's, using a cabin was almost essential for us - it saved us having to cart heaps of camping gear on the plane. So, I think any location in future, that wants to make itself accessible needs to have adequate non-camping accommodation/bunkrooms etc, and probably not be more than a couple of hours from an international airport (ideally). Try-hards like us would do one in the middle of nowhere of course ;)

On a Kiwi Mega:
Great to see the votes and interest being shown in NZ already. We are watching and listening ;)

Naturally, whilst driving between caches during our road trip, the idea of a Mega in NZ came up for discussion numerous times. Our general thought was that Christchurch would probably be the best location to hold the first one. International airport, gateway to the South Island (I assume you want to see the real mountains :D ). We've got good showgrounds here that have been used for international Scout's and Guides Jamborees, so we know it can handle the numbers. And naturally a reasonable sized city (450k) and facilities with enough caches to keep you busy, but that is not as geographically bound as Auckland or Wellington. Christchurch is also a great start/finish point for a loop around the South Island. If you're coming this far, I assume you'd want to go sightseeing and make a trip of it. And maybe make a record attempt ;)

Note - we have done absolutely no planning, and nothing has started at this point. I don't think we'd be able to alternate annually with Australia. Too much work. But I could certainly see us fitting into an Australasian Mega cycle. I do think that we may do a feasibility study in the next few months to look at the options though. Not sure if we yet have enough cachers in NZ to support the numbers internally, so we would probably be dependent on Aussie cachers to make up some of the numbers - and would definitely consider dates/time of year that would suit.

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 20 April 10 12:01 am

I think that a NZ Mega is deserving of a thread in it's own right. Even if only to gauge the number of local attendees and those who would travel OS to attend.
Along the same vein, I think the next OZ Mega would have to be central in so far as it is accessible to a large number of Aussie cachers.

Wagga was ideal as pretty much a day trip for NSW, ACT, Vic and SA cachers. A bit further for the QLD visitors and with all due respect, the Top End, WA and Tassie are always going to be a fair trek away.

So along with a healthy Geocaching community and the commitment to pull this off, I think to get the numbers for MEGA status it will also be all about location, location, location.

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 20 April 10 9:53 am

shrek4 wrote:Having a look around SA for some appropriate suggestions for campsites / locations.
.................... possibly Hindmarsh Island
:D

I am the only geocacher on the island. :mrgreen:

In 'normal' times the island population is around 800, swells to around 5000 during Xmas/January hols.

Easter next year (2011) is an extra public day because it falls on Anzac Day as well.

shrek4

Post by shrek4 » 20 April 10 8:53 pm

mundoo wrote:
I am the only geocacher on the island. :mrgreen:

In 'normal' times the island population is around 800, swells to around 5000 during Xmas/January hols.

Easter next year (2011) is an extra public day because it falls on Anzac Day as well.

So is there somewhere on the island we could pull this off? Nanu Farm perhaps?

My thinking cap is still on! :mrgreen: