Logs from Oz Mega Cachers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Logs from Oz Mega Cachers

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 06 April 10 6:22 pm

Just wondering how the Wagga locals inbox's are surviving? Are they in meltdown? What is sort of numbers of logs that are coming in?

Also after posts like this, I was wondering how the logs are coming in for other people either with caches in Wagga or with caches along the way? We have had a mixed bag, with a few logs coming in on some of our caches that are a generic cut and paste type log with others taking the same care they always do and writing a story of the trip.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Re: Logs from Oz Mega Cachers

Post by Mr Router » 06 April 10 6:39 pm

have only had one like this, TNLN SL, this really $h!t$ me :twisted:
and many 5 word single liners ! Wish some could put just a tad more feel into their logs, i try now to write a bit more, even as i wrote them during the trip home while Mrs R dodged the pot holes (sometimes) Matt you were my insperation for that after reading one of your posts in this forum!

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 06 April 10 6:49 pm

Having returned from the mega event and logged our caches (relatively small number really, about 70 finds over the whole weekend), I'll have to admit some of our logs are little more than 5-word "found during the mega event" logs. I tried to write something interesting for each cache I found because many of them truly were fantastic caches, but there were a few where, try as I might, I could not remember which ones they were, or what the find was like. Those are limited and it doesn't mean they weren't good caches.... just that after awhile it gets hard to keep track of some.
For those cachers who found about as many each day as we did over the whole weekend, it must be much worse. I think people will need to cut cachers a little slack in their logs for the weekend.

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 06 April 10 11:07 pm

Mr Router wrote:have only had one like this, TNLN SL, this really $h!t$ me :twisted:
and many 5 word single liners ! Wish some could put just a tad more feel into their logs, i try now to write a bit more, even as i wrote them during the trip home while Mrs R dodged the pot holes (sometimes) Matt you were my insperation for that after reading one of your posts in this forum!
Aw shucks :oops:. The wireless internet sure does help we did the same on the way home but we had three lane highway!
Team Wibble wrote:I think people will need to cut cachers a little slack in their logs for the weekend.
I just don't think it takes too much effort but it will always be the way it is as different people get more out of different things but how much better is it to get a funny log or short thanks about one of your caches? I just have to look at an If log when they come in and know that they will be entertaining, others not so.

Any of the Wagga guys want to let us know how many logs in the inbox?

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 06 April 10 11:19 pm

I got this log on one of my caches today :roll:

Found it No. 2494 ... needs maintenance ... TNLN

As luck would have it I had visited the cache to drop off a couple of GCs before I got home from Wagga and found it jam packed with loot and that some pages had been torn loose from the current log book due to its packed nature so I removed the original logbook and a couple of junky items and posted a note saying that I didn't understand what the needs maintenance log was about

The brief loggers responded with:

Disappointed in your comment ... log book was full ... there was only bits of paper to sign ... if only they had been so loquacious in their found log :P

I'm disappointed not only by the brevity of their log but that their obvious haste to rush onto the next find precluded them from even looking in the cache for the current logbook :x

We all the the game our own way I suppose ... YMMV :wink:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 07 April 10 10:24 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:Aw shucks :oops:. The wireless internet sure does help we did the same on the way home but we had three lane highway!
next g internet defiantly the best thing to come out of Telstra =D> =D> =D> worked all the way from Wagga to Young with no drop out \:D/

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 07 April 10 10:43 am

We will continue to write decent logs even when there are a few to do - as said before, more for our entertainment when we revisit the logs and recall what we did. It's hard to recall the fun and circumstances surrounding a find when you read "TNLN, TFTC" or the cut and paste variety.

We had a 10 hour trip to get home on the Monday which seemd like no time at all as Cat was typing the logs in the Asus (the keys are a bit touchy aren't they :evil:) while I was driving and trying to dictate. This meant we recalled the whole weekend bit by bit - marvelous \:D/

However there were a few times when we were stuck on what cache we did, so we opened the cache page to read it again to give us a clue only to find a very scant description which could have fitted half a dozen other caches we did :cry: So the point here is - if you create a cache, why not make it interesting, individual and actually describe what is the feature of the location?

Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 07 April 10 12:43 pm

got this log on one of my caches today :roll:

Likewise Rhino.....I received that on all my logs from that cacher as well, and if you look back on that cachers previous 1000 finds, you will find the same length of log written on pretty much all of them.

I find it pretty disrespectful to the people who got to the effort of placing a cache to write something so meaningless like that. I know there are caches out there that you have to stretch the imagination a bit to come up with something meaningful, but I don't care who you are...you can come up with more than three or four words.

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 07 April 10 1:08 pm

Marcus Vitruvius wrote:
got this log on one of my caches today :roll:

Likewise Rhino.....I received that on all my logs from that cacher as well, and if you look back on that cachers previous 1000 finds, you will find the same length of log written on pretty much all of them.

I find it pretty disrespectful to the people who got to the effort of placing a cache to write something so meaningless like that. I know there are caches out there that you have to stretch the imagination a bit to come up with something meaningful, but I don't care who you are...you can come up with more than three or four words.
Yes MV, I had a quick look at some of their previous logs after I posted hoping that perhaps they write short logs whilst on the road and expand them later ... a vain hope ](*,)

But what they lack in verbosity they make up for in hubris :-"

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 07 April 10 2:06 pm

Marcus Vitruvius wrote:I find it pretty disrespectful to the people who got to the effort of placing a cache to write something so meaningless like that. I know there are caches out there that you have to stretch the imagination a bit to come up with something meaningful, but I don't care who you are...you can come up with more than three or four words.
MV, I think you have hit the nail fairly well on the head! That is what frustrates me, you go the all the effort to get nothing in return from some cachers. Luckily not all are like that or you just wouldn't bother... (*,)

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 07 April 10 3:07 pm

Heres one with heart ](*,) ](*,)

Found while doing Oz Mega Event. TFTC. TNLN. SL.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 07 April 10 3:36 pm

I like to ramble on a bit as your logs are a record of what you did that day, what you thought of the cache & its surroundings, the cleverness of the hide etc. I don't carry a laptop & on this trip (3 weeks) I didn't logon at all, or watch TV, or read a newspaper & because of a low branch, didn't listen to the radio. You should try it - bliss. So here I am at home writing up my logs. I can do this because after each find I write a few relevant words in a diary. I also take photos & these act as a prompt. I wouldn't use NextG etc as they don't deserve my money. I don't go out to find a huge number each day & generally only look for ones that meet certain criteria. I did actually use a full stop as a log once & that was what I thought of the cache. Now those types go on my Ignore list. I like to read decent logs & appreciate it when people take the effort to do the same on mine.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 07 April 10 4:24 pm

Tuena wrote: I wouldn't use NextG etc as they don't deserve my money.
Sorry ! i cant leave home without it :oops: :-"
Tuena wrote: I did actually use a full stop as a log once & that was what I thought of the cache.
if you did this to one of our caches you would be short a find ! it would be deleted as the insult that it is [-X
Tuena wrote:I don't carry a laptop & on this trip (3 weeks) I didn't logon at all, or watch TV, or read a newspaper & because of a low branch, didn't listen to the radio. You should try it - bliss.
you sound like great company :wink:

sorry to be blunt but this post required it =;

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 07 April 10 4:38 pm

I'd reply but you're not worthy of it.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 07 April 10 6:42 pm

Tuena wrote:I'd reply but you're not worthy of it.
sticks and stones :roll: