Do you appreciate people correcting typos in your listing?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Poll ended at 05 April 10 7:05 pm

Yes. I like to have a nice clean listing.
58%
No. If you found the cache then that is enough.
15%
Whatever! Who cares...
26%

Total votes: 53

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 29 March 10 7:05 pm

I recently contacted a cacher to point out a small typo in one of his listings. I have met this person, so am not a complete stranger, but haven't cached with them yet and don't know them outside caching. The correction was well-received and the listing fixed up.

Now, I have seen some listings with complete disregard for spelling and grammar and wouldn't bother with contacting a hider about something that clearly hasn't even been proof read.

So it got me wondering, as a hider would you appreciate a complete stranger contacting you with a friendly email pointing out a spelling or grammatical error in one of your listings. Especially something that didn't affect anyone's ability to find the cache?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Do you appreciate people correcting typos in your listing?

Post by CraigRat » 29 March 10 7:15 pm

I've had someone write to me to correct spelling in a hint once, an hour after it was listed :lol:

I wouldn't correct someone else's spelling in a listing as we have cachers from all kinds of educational backgrounds and with all different kinds of upbringings.

(Never, ever have I typed a post so slowly just to make sure I don't make any spelling mistakes........) :lol:

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 29 March 10 7:19 pm

I have seen/scene/ceen some case which it downright makes it harder to find the cashe :mrgreen:

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 29 March 10 7:20 pm

CraigRat wrote:I've had someone write to me to correct spelling in a hint once, an hour after it was listed :lol:

I wouldn't correct someone else's spelling in a listing as we have cachers from all kinds of educational backgrounds and with all different kinds of upbringings.

(Never, ever have I typed a post so slowly just to make sure I don't make any spelling mistakes........) :lol:
I started to type a reply and then decided I'd better not submit it in case I had something wrong! 8-[

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 29 March 10 7:29 pm

blossom* wrote:
CraigRat wrote:I've had someone write to me to correct spelling in a hint once, an hour after it was listed :lol:

I started to type a reply and then decided I'd better not submit it in case I had something wrong! 8-[
You don't want to know how many times I proof-read the poll question :-&

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 March 10 7:33 pm

No, I don't. It's more than likely a clue #-o

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 29 March 10 8:05 pm

Yes I would like it if some 1 corrected my spelling if it was a clue I would let them know especially if it was done by email \:D/ as my spelling is not so crash hot that help would be knocked back :oops: all though there are good and bad way of pointing it out aswell :-# isn't it why they invented spelling checkers [-o<

winterdragon
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by winterdragon » 29 March 10 8:27 pm

I wouldn't mind, as I never make spelling mistaeks. Seriously though, one of the funniest cache logs I've seen was a "Needs Maintenance" on GCMKRD because the description contained spelling mistakes. Apart from not understanding what Needs Maintenance means, they'd completely missed the fact that the mistakes were intentional clues for the puzzle. For a dollop of extra irony, the log entry contained a spelling mistake #-o

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 29 March 10 9:08 pm

I am a pedant when it comes to spelling and punctuation (less so with grammar). While poor spelling and punctuation annoy me (particularly the Greengrocers' apostrophe), that's my issue. I don't expect people to place the same emphasis or importance on language as me (or necessarily have the appropriate educational background to do so). So long as I can read it, I'm generally happy!

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 March 10 9:35 pm

Recently in Victoria I found a puzzle cache, where I detected a typo in the code that needed to be solved. I found the thing OK, logged it and separately emailed the owner about the typo. He was grateful and was surprised nobody else had pointed it out in a year of finds.

That said, there are some caches out there with such poor spelling and mistyping of common names it almost puts you off finding the cache. If they did such a poor effort at the listing, is the cache going to be any better?

As a case in point, one popped up fairly close to home last year. The description was badly worded and short. But I headed up for an FTF attempt and met another cacher there. We came up empty handed. It was found after, the coords were about 50 metres out and the cache consisted of a chinese take away container with a torn off scrap of paper for a log. Needless to say I didn't bother going back even once the coords were fixed, and it has now washed away in any case.

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 29 March 10 9:53 pm

I like it when there is a spelling mistake - I think there is a GCA cache to claim the find

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 30 March 10 8:18 am

As an editor I don't mind the occasional typo - I do it myself.

But simple errors such as 'there' and 'their' (instead of they're) or 'to' and 'two' (too) show a number of people clearly don't proofread their text.

The forums are even worse. :roll: Missing words and typos often change the context or meaning of what some people write, which can sometimes lead to misunderstanding.

I know we all have different levels of education, but please reread your text before hitting the Submit button.

BTW - I thoroughly recommend the Grammar Girl podcast (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/) for anyone who would like to improve their writing. Helps with curly conundrums such as the difference between 'that' and 'which' or 'What is a split infinitive?'.

Oh! And please feel free to email me if you spot any errors in my geocache listings. I'm not precious about my mistakes.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 30 March 10 8:23 am

CraigRat wrote:as we have cachers from all kinds of educational backgrounds and with all different kinds of upbringings.
I have found that some cache listings and cache logs have the most appalling spelling, punctuation and grammar imaginable. And some cachers are absolute serial offenders!

It is a pet peeve of mine, and I find it extremely frustrating, but hey, that is just me :D

As long as the message gets across I do not judge how others choose to use or language!

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 30 March 10 9:04 am

I'll freely admit that my spelling will not win any champeonships competisions prizes but that is why I use FF with a speal speel spell checker. At work is a bit more dificilt harder as we still use IE6. I try to get my logs spot on but after a full days cashingcaching, sometimes one may slip through in a log.

Anyone is free to point out a spelling mestake error in one of my listings. I'm not perfect yet!

squalid

Post by squalid » 30 March 10 9:57 am

Now I'm confused. I was going to say "It's judgmentalism that annoys me more than spelling errors", but that's being judgmental!

What's worse, I spell-checked this, and MS Word didn't like judgmentalism.