What would you do...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

What would you do...

Post by Hoojar » 17 March 10 10:31 pm

I just received the following as a log on one of my caches.
I am just wondering how other people would handle this?!

geoskid
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: What would you do...

Post by geoskid » 17 March 10 10:44 pm

Perhaps they are just shy. :)

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 17 March 10 10:59 pm

Well, you can't say it's pointless.

Seriously, though, while it does seem rather disappointing, it's not worth taking personally. I confess I'd do a little checking up on other logs from this cacher, maybe check the cache's logbook to make sure it was actually found legitimately ... and maybe allow that maybe there was a slip-up in the logging progress ... and then, if it is a typical log from the cacher, treat it with the ignore that it deserves. We can't control how people play the game.

firesafe
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by firesafe » 18 March 10 12:15 am

I would say that it has been logged from an iPhone as you have to write something to be able to log in the field and "." is the easiest with the little keypad on the screen - keep an eye out for an longer log once they get back to a computer. 8-[

McKee Clan
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by McKee Clan » 18 March 10 3:35 am

:lol:
Interesting not sure either. I guess just confirm they did write in the log when maintaining the cache I guess. Not sure what I would do?. But this has definetly made my day..

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 18 March 10 7:57 am

firesafe wrote:I would say that it has been logged from an iPhone as you have to write something to be able to log in the field and "." is the easiest with the little keypad on the screen - keep an eye out for an longer log once they get back to a computer. 8-[
OK, I'll bite!

What a sad statement on the world if this is how lazy we are! I find the TFTC logs rude enough. If a person has taken the time to hide a cache the least a finder can do is take 2 minutes to write something meaningful.

A very long time ago the wise cacher that introduced me to the obsession also showed me an article at the Geocaching University called Writing Great Online Logs it had a profound effect on me and ever since then I have allways written a log that tries to tell about my experience and thank the cache owner by name. Even during the 400 cache found in 4 days in Adelaide I took the time to log them in the same way, though it was hard to remember something unique about them all...

I was actually going to create a cache until they removed ALR's where you had to write a good log or it would be deleted... but I'm just a grumpy bastard! :-"

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 18 March 10 8:55 am

I emailed the logger last night and asked if they would care to expand on their log as I found what they had left very disappointing, and I felt it brought into question whether they had actually found the cache and signed the log.

I received an email this morning apologising for the log. Apparently they were very busy when logging, and wanted to just leave a mark so that they would remember to write more when they have more time.

It takes but a couple of minutes to write a small but meaningful log. What an indictment on our society if we have the time to find a cache, but not write a log.

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 18 March 10 12:04 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:What a sad statement on the world if this is how lazy we are! I find the TFTC logs rude enough. If a person has taken the time to hide a cache the least a finder can do is take 2 minutes to write something meaningful.

A very long time ago the wise cacher that introduced me to the obsession also showed me an article at the Geocaching University called Writing Great Online Logs it had a profound effect on me and ever since then I have allways written a log that tries to tell about my experience and thank the cache owner by name. Even during the 400 cache found in 4 days in Adelaide I took the time to log them in the same way, though it was hard to remember something unique about them all...
=D>

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 18 March 10 12:31 pm

I'll be honest as I have written a few logs like that. It is the least thing I can say on what I found as a 'Yawn' another boring cache. Nobody wants to be advised that some-one else doesn't understand the reason behind the hide & I'm tired of trying to educate the masses. Emails have been sent back to me advising that if the style of hide doesn't take my fancy that I should look elsewhere. Unfortunately, no-one is describing their hides as 'Boring hide' or 'big lunch box, looks like rubbish, bus shelter beside main road' or 'mirco hidden under cow pats in large country paddock'.

Placing caches is like having kids, there are no rules on how many & when is the best time. I don't believe that I should be thankful someone placed that cache for me to find, rubbish hides allow more to be hidden in the same way as it becomes part of the norm.....

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 18 March 10 12:55 pm

I think you and I would get along famously! Can't stand 2 word logs ! I might not write too much in the field-log but I always try to write a meangingful on-line log.
Big Matt and Shell wrote:
OK, I'll bite!

What a sad statement on the world if this is how lazy we are! I find the TFTC logs rude enough. If a person has taken the time to hide a cache the least a finder can do is take 2 minutes to write something meaningful.

I was actually going to create a cache until they removed ALR's where you had to write a good log or it would be deleted... but I'm just a grumpy bastard! :-"

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 18 March 10 3:35 pm

OMY130 wrote:I'll be honest as I have written a few logs like that. It is the least thing I can say on what I found as a 'Yawn' another boring cache.
Yet you still seek it? Isn't it better to be honest and let the person know (in a non threatening way)? Otherwise a find and a neutral log just provide reinforcment on the crap hide. "it must be OK because people are finding it" or "only a couple of people have an issue so it must be them and not me"

OMY130 wrote:I don't believe that I should be thankful someone placed that cache for me to find, rubbish hides allow more to be hidden in the same way as it becomes part of the norm.....

How about thinking about it like this? Even if someone has placed a rubbish cache they still should be thanked for the find! They may have had some special reason for placing it and it obviously meant something to them. OK it wasn't the worlds best cache which of the two logs below actually works to foster some change?
Big Matt and Shell in a log somewhere wrote:I'm at a bit of a loss with this cache. I don't know if it was the log in the plastic bag or the used condoms scattered around the GZ that put me off. I just don't see what the appeal was with this area.

Thanks XYZ for the find.

TNLNSL

Doesn't this serve to create new behaviour much more than,
A Cacher in a log somewhere wrote:Find #43 for the day, TNLNSL
How can anyone expect an owner to change their caches based on this? My two cents worth anyway.

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 18 March 10 4:05 pm

:lol:
Big Matt and Shell in a log somewhere wrote:I'm at a bit of a loss with this cache. I don't know if it was the log in the plastic bag or the used condoms scattered around the GZ that put me off. I just don't see what the appeal was with this area.

Thanks XYZ for the find.

TNLNSL

TNLNSL
Saw lots of condoms maybe? LOL

paegle boy
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by paegle boy » 18 March 10 4:06 pm

what cache

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 18 March 10 5:05 pm

So what are your longest and shortest logs? And average? It's all there in the GCA stats.

My longest is something like 650 words, my shortest is 16 words (and that was something of a protest against a very mundane cache). Average? Will have to look it up.

If you want long logs look at the difficult to find ones! Like Come In Sucker!

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 18 March 10 5:58 pm

Yurt wrote:So what are your longest and shortest logs? And average? It's all there in the GCA stats.
According to GSAK,

Total Words: 167670, Average: 48, (Total Characters: 934022)
Longest: GCMPQE 765, Shortest: GCABA1 2

Not a bad improvement from the perhaps 10 word average before I read the article I mentioned!