Power Trails: an (ammo) can of worms

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should Power Trails be allowed in Australia?

Poll ended at 31 March 10 11:45 pm

Yes, definitely. The game is poorer without them.
18%
Yes, but they should be worthy caches in their own right.
20%
Maybe, but it depends on how well they are put together.
27%
No, I not a fan of this idea. It's not about the numbers.
20%
No way, never. Power Trails will ruin geocaching.
15%

Total votes: 66

firesafe
10000 or more caches found

Re: Power Trails: an (ammo) can of worms

Post by firesafe » 17 April 10 9:40 am

It looks like it was lucky that I got a chance to do one of the Power Trails in California. They now in the process of being archived and the containers collected on the 23rd.

It was cited that there was too much increased activity in the area - really #-o

I didnt think they would last.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 April 10 10:11 pm

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=246807

Three themes come through in the thread.

1. Environmental impact from people driving up to the power poles to get the caches.
2. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) asked for them to be removed as they did not have permission.
3. Electricity pole owners asked for them to be removed as they did not have permission.

The only response I saw from NGV was "we got too many emails".

The permission one (if it's true) is interesting as the reviewer for the area was part of the group that set the trail up.

I'm not sure we'll ever know the true story, but the fact that most (if not all) are being archived with someone going out to retrieve them implies that this may not have been a good idea to start with.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 24 April 10 3:49 pm

Groundspeak has another thread on power trails.
Power Trail, How does something like this get approved?
Click the link in post #6 and zoom out if you want to see how ridiculous it is. Looks like someone is trying to send a message to space.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 25 April 10 8:40 pm

Gee wiz...That thread gets pretty crazy. :-k ](*,)
That stupid power trail is simply a waste of this sport! :roll:
It is both Lame & Lazy! :stabby
This game used to be about stealth, ingenuity and creativity, as well as the hunt. (That's how I feel anyway) This hunt for numbers and numbers alone doesn't give respect to the idea of geocaching, if that's what you crave in life, go play Xbox 360 and up your Gamerscore a couple hundred at a time!
I personally enjoy not just the numbers but the creativity of the container, the places, people and adventures discovered along the way. To me, that is more of a thrill than just numbers. Power Trails should be allowed but tougher guidelines might need to be considered for them. I love the idea of the Australian Prime Ministers Power Trail because it shows research, theme and education and a LOT of thought put in to them also! =D>

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 25 April 10 9:26 pm

MtnLioness wrote:This game used to be about stealth, ingenuity and creativity, as well as the hunt. (That's how I feel anyway) This hunt for numbers and numbers alone doesn't give respect to the idea of geocaching, if that's what you crave in life, go play Xbox 360 and up your Gamerscore a couple hundred at a time!
MtnLioness, I both agree and disagree with you. Whilst I don't like these power trails personally, one thing I have learnt is that this game is whatever people want it to be and that is what makes it so great. We are all very, very different people (some may say special :wink: ) and we all get very different things from it so the statement above for us can be true and false.

I do agree with you in that these extreme power trails are not what I would like to see but my first statement says that people get their own things from it and there is little we can do about them.

I have seen the extremes of this hobby, from the long bike rides in the ACT, to the long walks of the Snowy Mountains for single finds over days to the urban numbers runs. I enjoy both and have met some fantastic people doing so. I would suggest using the ignore button and move on, don't take it too much to heart, get out and find another one of "your type" of cache.

pprass

Post by pprass » 25 April 10 9:27 pm

MtnLioness wrote:That stupid power trail is simply a waste of this sport! :roll:
Good on you Tamara - we think you're right on track with your thinking.

We like to explore an area and if there are a lot of caches in the vicinity then so much the better, but the tough to get ones are always the most sweet.

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 26 April 10 1:00 am

Having a quick look at these it seems that whilst they are power trails, they have been set up so that you have to actually get out the car and walk. The Corton ring trail is set on a 12 mile long walk. (Though can be done in two 6 mile stints). Others are 7 and 4 mile long walks. (I'm not sure how long a mile is, but I think it might be 1 and bit Km's).

Just because there are a bunch of caches together doesn't mean they are not tricky, clever or impressive spots.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 26 April 10 10:56 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote: Whilst I don't like these power trails personally, one thing I have learnt is that this game is whatever people want it to be and that is what makes it so great. We are all very, very different people (some may say special :wink: ) and we all get very different things from it so the statement above for us can be true and false.
I do agree with you in that these extreme power trails are not what I would like to see but my first statement says that people get their own things from it and there is little we can do about them.
I have seen the extremes of this hobby, from the long bike rides in the ACT, to the long walks of the Snowy Mountains for single finds over days to the urban numbers runs. I enjoy both and have met some fantastic people doing so. I would suggest using the ignore button and move on, don't take it too much to heart, get out and find another one of "your type" of cache.
a very fine response to the negative comments ! as Matt said the game is so much fun as we all PLAY it the way WE want !
I am not singling any one cacher out here !!!
MtnLioness wrote:Gee wiz...That thread gets pretty crazy. :-k ](*,)
That stupid power trail is simply a waste of this sport! :roll:
This game used to be about stealth, ingenuity and creativity, as well as the hunt. (That's how I feel anyway) This hunt for numbers and numbers alone doesn't give respect to the idea of geocaching, if that's what you crave in life, go play Xbox 360 and up your Gamerscore a couple hundred at a time!
I personally enjoy not just the numbers but the creativity of the container, the places, people and adventures discovered along the way. To me, that is more of a thrill than just numbers. Power Trails should be allowed but tougher guidelines might need to be considered for them. I love the idea of the Australian Prime Ministers Power Trail because it shows research, theme and education and a LOT of thought put in to them also! =D>
But this is a post that will just STIR the worms ! great that we are all not alike, but as has been said to me on other occasions, and in the last post by Matt, hit the ignore button if you dont like them !

pprass

Post by pprass » 27 April 10 1:23 pm

roundcircle wrote:Just because there are a bunch of caches together doesn't mean they are not tricky, clever or impressive spots.
Fair comment, but as an example, what was proposed in jest by Mr Emu seemed to be just numbers fodder - no particular challenge except that it was a long way.

If I were to have set something like that up, I would probably stipulate that it had to be done in one day (if that were allowed) - then it would be much more interesting.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 April 10 1:48 pm

That would be an ALR and would not be permitted.

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 01 May 10 10:33 pm

roundcircle wrote: Just because there are a bunch of caches together doesn't mean they are not tricky, clever or impressive spots.
Ok...Fair response.
But seriously, can there really be THAT many clever or impressive spots all together like that?
(All I can think of is Hyperactive cachers crop circles!)
I'm pretty sure that if someone mapped all those wonderful landmarks from all the nations (like Eiffel Tower, statue of Liberty, Arc De Triomphe and other popular and less known places too) I doubt Cachers crop circles would show up!
Even if all the parks and lovely kids playgrounds in the world would likely NOT become cachers crop circles like that!
Not even all the clever or impressive spots around the world that every and any person knows about in all the world would produce cachers crop circles!
It's just ridiculous!

Mind you.... It's great for just numbers if quantity rather than Quality is what you're after!

Mrs Parrot

Post by Mrs Parrot » 03 May 10 12:51 am

Five of us from four teams squeezed into the Pathfinder yesterday and headed off to do the Prime Ministers Trail - 26 caches over 42 kms. We drove down dirt tracks, had opinions about the various PMs, tried to remember where we were when Harold Holt disappeared (several weren't born yet) and generally had a good time. We included other caches inbetween and did another series of caches as well that was in the area. From my perspective it was good fun with good company and in all just over 50 caches for the day. I like caching in the country and enjoy the drive so this power trail did just fine for me. Each to their own.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 22 May 12 5:08 pm

Just found a similar thingy in the German forums:

What do you think of Power trails?

Code: Select all

I can not get enough of it, normal caches hardly interest me.    2%  [4]
I would attend at any time.                                     19% [49]
I would probably pass me one.                                   30% [75]
I would never attend one, will make the other                   10% [25]
Power trails have nothing to do with geocaching.                39% [98] 
I have no opinion                                                1%  [3]
... and I just saw this quote: Spot on Matt!
Big Matt and Shell wrote: Whilst I don't like these power trails personally, one thing I have learnt is that this game is whatever people want it to be and that is what makes it so great. We are all very, very different people (some may say special :wink: ) and we all get very different things from it so the statement above for us can be true and false.