Power Trails: an (ammo) can of worms

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should Power Trails be allowed in Australia?

Poll ended at 31 March 10 11:45 pm

Yes, definitely. The game is poorer without them.
18%
Yes, but they should be worthy caches in their own right.
20%
Maybe, but it depends on how well they are put together.
27%
No, I not a fan of this idea. It's not about the numbers.
20%
No way, never. Power Trails will ruin geocaching.
15%

Total votes: 66

caughtatwork

Re: Power Trails: an (ammo) can of worms

Post by caughtatwork » 18 March 10 12:56 pm

If I were a reviewer and was forced to check every cache listing for legality and compliance with the rules of the listing site, I would send them all to the trash bin. Immediately. You see, they are litter and littering is against the law.

I would also be doing you all a favour by ensuring you do not approach a high tension power line and remove an object that it attached to someone else's property, thereby breaking the law with interfering with the infrastructure of the power company.

They would also not be listed because that area is littered with snakes and the sun is really hot, so I would also ensure that you don't get bitten by a snake or die from lack of liquid intake.

You see, the full review process for ANY cache listing would be good as none of them would get listed because they're illegal (littering), costly (fines from the power company) and dangerous (snakes and DIEing!!111Eleven!!11).

You can thank me later.

pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by pwags » 18 March 10 1:11 pm

caughtatwork wrote:If I were a reviewer and was forced to check every cache listing for legality and compliance with the rules of the listing site, I would ... blah blah blah...
You've really gotta get some sleep, c@w! :D

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 18 March 10 1:31 pm

How about a power trail of 1000 micros placed about a foot outside a National Park boundary? That would be fun. :mrgreen:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 March 10 1:56 pm

Not being a reviewer (yet), the biggest peeve of a series like this is the number of PQ's that it would take to get them all. 600 caches in such a short distance would suck up 2 of my 5 PQ's. That would suck.

Although I've been led to believe that as a reviewer I get 10 PQ's with double the limit in each, so this would only be an issue until the reviewer authorisation comes through.

Then again when I'm a reviewer I wouldn't publish them, so the point is moot.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 18 March 10 3:16 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Big Matt and Shell wrote:
Mr Router wrote:one thing it would save some a lot of money chasing being top finders, they used to say it wasn't about the numbers :^o
Sorry? I have no idea what you are trying to say or infer? :?: :?: Perhaps some puctuation is missing but I have missed the point.
one thing -> Consider this.
it would save some a lot of money chasing being top finders, -> You will save money by not having to travel long distances in order to significantly increase your find count.
they used to say it wasn't about the numbers -> Please who say it isn't about the number are liars.
:^o -> :^o
Thanks! And sorry Dick, it has been one of those weeks, I sat here for 5 minutes an couldn't get that. Must be time to go home!

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 18 March 10 9:27 pm

I had a look at one of the "power trails" in question. Couldn't even display them all in Google Maps there were so many. IMHO, it is completely pointless and finding pieces of litter every couple of hundred feet has none of the attractions that make geocaching such fun. GC.com has lots of rules, like it or not, pity they can't invent one to stop this practice before someone thinks it would be a good idea here. NB I have nothing against a modest series when the caches are placed in great spots. The Great Eastlink Geocache Project was great fun and I'm sure everyone has enjoyed it.

Would be good if they got allocated a special cache type, and the 1,000 or so caches got counted as ONE in the cache stats.

firesafe
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by firesafe » 18 March 10 10:59 pm

I may have an opportunity to do some of the CA/NV Power Trail in a couple of weeks. \:D/

If I do will post some feedback. :-k

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 March 10 8:43 pm

You know I think I'm going to hide a power trail. I need lots and lots of 35mm film cannisters or maybe a truckload (maybe only a trailer, not sure yet) of eclipse containers. Then follow the high tension lines for a couple of km on my bike (or just drive down the reserve). I reckon I could get a whole bunch in a short enough distance to make the numbers whores salivate. They'd have to be approved too :idea:

SamWalkers
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by SamWalkers » 19 March 10 8:52 pm

caughtatwork wrote:You know I think I'm going to hide a power trail. I need lots and lots of 35mm film cannisters or maybe a truckload (maybe only a trailer, not sure yet) of eclipse containers. Then follow the high tension lines for a couple of km on my bike (or just drive down the reserve). I reckon I could get a whole bunch in a short enough distance to make the numbers whores salivate. They'd have to be approved too :idea:
And a week after the FTF add one more in the middle.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 19 March 10 9:01 pm

I've got heaps of little film containers and a few eclipse tins. Just let me know if you want me to post them down :lol: Although you could make it easier than that and just use a zip-lock bag with a bit of paper in it?

geoskid
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by geoskid » 19 March 10 9:31 pm

If you want to do it and stick it up GC, the yanks, and the record, (why would'nt you), list on GCA. Put them 500mm apart, walk down the 500m and get it done by lunch time, and post a photo of you sitting back having a few beers and a BBQ afterwards. Show'em the folly of their ways in Aussie style. Make it an event Aussie style.
I'll donate to that! :-"

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 19 March 10 10:52 pm

I was visiting a equipment hire place a week or two back to hire a trailer, and I noticed they have some excellent equipment for sowing grass seeds. Basically a giant hopper with a rotating mechanism underneath to throw the seeds some distance. Now I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity, this could be adapted for spreading nano-caches thus saving considerable effort in laying really big power trails.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 19 March 10 11:14 pm

caughtatwork wrote:You know I think I'm going to hide a power trail. I need lots and lots of 35mm film cannisters or maybe a truckload (maybe only a trailer, not sure yet) of eclipse containers. Then follow the high tension lines for a couple of km on my bike (or just drive down the reserve). I reckon I could get a whole bunch in a short enough distance to make the numbers whores salivate. They'd have to be approved too :idea:
And, before they get approved, you and your mates log them as finds as well.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 20 March 10 9:07 am

I've got a FANTASTIC IDEA for a power trail and it'll save the trees too since it won't need logbooks

I'll create a series called GP1 to GP500 on a long but low traffic volume road (still gotta be safe) and the guide posts can be the caches

When you find the 'cache' you just write your log on the guide post in black waterproof texta (or just stamp it or us a label)

Geocaching Gold 8) ... I don't know why it hasn't been done before \:D/

Now that I think about it some more ... why stop at 500? The number of guide posts is practically infinite :P

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 20 March 10 10:50 am

Coffee and Cache wrote:I was visiting a equipment hire place a week or two back to hire a trailer, and I noticed they have some excellent equipment for sowing grass seeds. Basically a giant hopper with a rotating mechanism underneath to throw the seeds some distance. Now I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity, this could be adapted for spreading nano-caches thus saving considerable effort in laying really big power trails.

Finally a good use for nano caches - fertilizer =D>