When cache placers go AWOL

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

When cache placers go AWOL

Post by Yurt » 04 March 10 12:06 pm

When a cache is missing or needs maintenance or archiving and the cache owner does not respond to anyone is there a case for archiving all their caches or adopting them out? In this case I am thinking of a cache owner in Sydney who currently has two archived caches, two that have gone missing and have been "needs archived" for months with no response and two still out there but one "needs maintenance" and the other has a cracked container and needs replacing according to logs but hasn't been "needs maintenance"d yet.

This cacher has not responded to anything for many months. Is there a case for archiving them all so new caches can be placed (and the unfound/unfindable caches on my radar deleted)? Alternatively the existing caches could be adopted without the owner's consent. I'm not sure how common this is but I know of a few other "one-off" caches by users who are long gone that somehow survive with no owner maintenance - the goodwill of the caching community keeps them supplied with logs and pens and cache containers no doubt.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Re: When cache placers go AWOL

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 04 March 10 5:26 pm

You have two choices, you can stock the cache or wait for it to be archived.

Many have discussed over time what is the best option but the reviewers can not adopt the cache out to you.

Your choice!

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 04 March 10 6:59 pm

On GC, the reviewers will go through and archive any caches where the owner doesn't respond to their requests for action after a period of time. On GCA, there isn't any similar policy so caches that are no longer maintained are still listed. Of course, on GCA, you can still place another cache right nearby if you want to anyway.

If it's GC, you could always write up a new cache and put in the reviewer notes that the nearby cache needs to be archived. Then they will follow through and you can eventually publish your new one.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 March 10 7:06 pm

blossom* wrote:On GCA, there isn't any similar policy so caches that are no longer maintained are still listed.
Incorrect assumption.

If you log a Needs Archived log, it comes up in the administration section for the site admins to check. We check these about once a fortnight (or so), time permitting. A Needs Archived log will either result in an archive or an Administrative Note explaining why the NA has had no action. http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/Geocach ... ralia/logs gives an indication of what went on in February.

We also look through the listings of caches that have been temporarily unavailable for a while. If it's longer than about 6 months, we'll archive the listing. If there is indication that the cache repair / replacement is underway we come back later.

At this point in time GCA has less of these types of situations to worry about, so we may seem a little more active than GC, but as the number of caches grow, we may seek special assistance from respected community members to assist in keeping the database clean.

Free and open does not mean abandonment. We try to keep the database clear of missing caches.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 04 March 10 7:45 pm

ah-ha! see ga0634 then :) This has been annoying me for sooooooooooooo long as it's so close to home but not there to be found.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 March 10 7:52 pm

Atta girl.
The Needs Archived triggered the appropriate action and helps to keep the DB clean.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 04 March 10 8:45 pm

I've noticed that some caches have notes on them from riblit or an overseas admin saying something like "please rectify within two weeks or get archived" but they remain there. I understand the admins have plenty on but these seem to hang around for months not weeks.

SamWalkers
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by SamWalkers » 04 March 10 9:02 pm

I came across two similar caches, they had been full of water for months. I replaced the container dried out the log and put some stuff in them. I did this because I liked where they were.
I sent emails to the Ump trying to adopt and what I learned is as follows...
Yurt wrote:In this case I am thinking of a cache owner in Sydney who currently has two archived caches,
Don't worry about the archived caches, they are dead and gone.

two that have gone missing and have been "needs archived" for months with no response
Don't worry about these ones either - they are as good as dead and gone. The one and the only person who can turn off the "needs archived" button is the cache owner.
Rana Pirica, the (automated?) geocache maintenance frog for Groundspeak, will come along and automatically put it out of it's misery.

two still out there but one "needs maintenance" and the other has a cracked container and needs replacing according to logs but hasn't been "needs maintenance"d yet.
These are the only ones you (or anyone else) can do anything about : You could replace the container, dry out the log book and be the caches friend because you think that this cache is worth saving or you can press the needs archive button and nature will take it's course.

This cacher has not responded to anything for many months. Is there a case for archiving them all so new caches can be placed (and the unfound/unfindable caches on my radar deleted)? Alternatively the existing caches could be adopted without the owner's consent.
There is NO way to adopt a cache with out the owner's consent. Ground speak considers the pyhsical cache to be the property of the cache owner and as such they own it until they say otherwise.
This is not Haiti.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 05 March 10 6:18 pm

Yurt wrote:I've noticed that some caches have notes on them from riblit or an overseas admin saying something like "please rectify within two weeks or get archived" but they remain there. I understand the admins have plenty on but these seem to hang around for months not weeks.
We do check back but would rather spend our time publishing caches. Currently I'm 3 time zones and around 7000 KM away from my list.If you see a cahe with an actioned note, drop me an email via gc.com 'cause I can read the mailbox here.

The overseas reviewer checks a number of countries, he will eventually work his way back to Australia.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 28 March 10 5:51 pm

Well I can report that one of the caches in question has been archived and the other disabled so this cache owner is down to two caches left, both in poor condition.

Surprisingly another cache (our closest unfound cache) has been disabled with a view to archiving I guess. The cacher (based in NZ apparently and with all of 15 finds) reappeared and disabled the cache as they "don't geocache any more". As it's in a National Park there's no chance of it being adopted so we'll never get a chance to find it!

Oh well that's three caches down in our quest to clear a 10 km radius!

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 March 10 6:06 pm

While it is disabled it is probably still there. You would probably be doing the community a service by contacting the owner and offering to remove it so it can be archived. If you don't get a response remove it anyway and log as such.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 28 March 10 6:59 pm

richary wrote:While it is disabled it is probably still there. You would probably be doing the community a service by contacting the owner and offering to remove it so it can be archived. If you don't get a response remove it anyway and log as such.
I was thinking of doing that, a pity it's such a long walk in with no other unfound caches there for us. I was going to replace the container if it hadn't been disabled as that's apparently in poor condition.
I assume you can't log a disabled cache.

Richary

Post by Richary » 28 March 10 10:17 pm

You can log a disabled or even an archived cache. There is one on the northern beaches that is a left over from a long gone puzzle. Someone has since placed a trad within a few metres. I have found the original by mistake as have many others and not realised it until we got home and looked at the logs on the one we were meant to find. The system still accepts the log.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 29 March 10 10:54 pm

richary wrote:You can log a disabled or even an archived cache. There is one on the northern beaches that is a left over from a long gone puzzle. Someone has since placed a trad within a few metres. I have found the original by mistake as have many others and not realised it until we got home and looked at the logs on the one we were meant to find. The system still accepts the log.
Sadly, that is the case.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 30 March 10 12:28 am

riblit wrote:
richary wrote:You can log a disabled or even an archived cache. There is one on the northern beaches that is a left over from a long gone puzzle. Someone has since placed a trad within a few metres. I have found the original by mistake as have many others and not realised it until we got home and looked at the logs on the one we were meant to find. The system still accepts the log.
Sadly, that is the case.
I know of one cache which had been archived by the owner two months before an interstate cacher couldn't find it and replaced it before logging a find. :roll:
Caused no end of confusion about two years later when a multi cache starting waypoint was placed at the exact same spot and people started finding the replacement container. #-o