Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself) parts 1&2

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found

Re: Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself) parts 1&2

Post by MtnLioness » 08 December 11 10:00 am

Panda Inc wrote:Hi everyone,

Would like to introduce ourselves.

We currently live in Durango, Colorado, USA and will be moving to Glenelg, South Australia next year.
We are wondering if there are any geocaching groups that get together in Adelaide, as it would be great to connect up with fellow geocachers.
We have been caching since 2007 and have an account with Geocaching.com under Panda Inc.

Cheers!
PandA Inc (Parys and Allen)
If you're into Facebook - This Group should help you get to know us Adelaidians a bit.
We're a very social and friendly bunch and welcome new friends into the bunch of crazies down here! =D>

OldBikerPete

Post by OldBikerPete » 24 December 11 6:44 pm

Hello. I am Peter from Melbourne. Just introduced to geocaching. Maybe I'll find a few in the near future.

Gypsy Roaming
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Gypsy Roaming » 29 December 11 1:56 am

Hi I'm Gypsy Roaming from Perth WA. Just started geocaching recently with the help of a more experienced cacher who got me started with an Etrex20, I get out when I can which is not as often as I would like.

gajinoz
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by gajinoz » 10 January 12 7:35 pm

Just found my first cache today. I've looked for a couple of others but no luck. I'll go back and try again, fortunately there are several near where I live.

I'm in the southern tablelands of NSW, sheep country. :)

TonyG

Post by TonyG » 28 January 12 9:24 pm

Hi, I TonyG from Research (near Eltham 3095). I got a Magellan 310 for Christmas from my sons and have found around fourteen caches since then. I find geocaching gives some purpose to walking and cycling and as I'm an old bloke, now in my seventies, I find it's a convenient way to get exercise intermingled with a bit of intellectual activity (and intermingled with mosquitoes, spider's webs and invasive grass seeds).
Incidentally what is the appropriate protocol to be used when emerging from under a bridge, Magellan in hand, covered with dust and cobwebs and beneath the feet of casual walkers who think you are quite balmy? I found that shouting 'Behold, I am a free man!' and throwing my cap in the air didn't really instil confidence in the onlookers!
Generally though I find people are quite interested if you introduce yourself and explain what it is you are up to. They probably still think you are mad but not dangerous. tg

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 30 January 12 7:06 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to geocaching and live in Sth Gippsland (Vic) I first heard about geocaching probably 6 or 7 years ago now but never had a GPS to go hunting with. Told hubby all about it in the hopes that it may fast-track a purchase of aforementioned gadget, but it didn't really eventuate. I bookmarked the global site on my PC and forgot about it for a few years.

Fast forward to now, and I finally update my old Nokia phone for a new fandangled smart phone. Found out there was a geocaching app and, well, the rest as they say, is history. (well, only 8 days of history so far, but i've caught the bug so expect to keep at it!)

Have been reading through this site today and have taken particular note of how important and etiquette-ly correct it is to write something interesting in a log. I promise to write something more substantial than just "TFTC" :)

Have found a handful of basic caches, but as I'm relying on my iphone app I'm not too sure where or how to start with locating the multi's. Hoping I can work it out or find some hints/tips here.

Thanks for a great site and I look forward to many a caching adventure!!

daryllm123

Post by daryllm123 » 30 January 12 10:16 pm

Hi Lmac201 good to hear you are into caching, its a lot of fun and i am sure you will enjoy it, Multi caches are easy and informatitve usally, how ever you will need a gps to do them, can,t be done on a smart phone as at each stage you need to re enter new co ords, A gps is required, if you are looking for a basic Gps then an Etrex H is a good starting option, usually around the $130 mark but sometimes you can pick them up for $99 on special if you look around, Well anyway good luck with it and happy caching :D

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 30 January 12 10:19 pm

daryllm123 wrote:Hi Lmac201 good to hear you are into cachimg its a lot of fun and i am sure you will enjoy it, Multi caches are easy and informatitve usally, how ever you will need a gps to do them cant be done on a smrt phone as at each stage you need to re enter new co ords, A gps is required, if you are looking for a basic Gps the an Etrex H is a good starting option usually around the $130 mark but sometimes you can pick tgem up for $99 on special if you look around, WEll anyway good luck with it and happy caching :D
Actually, Multi's can be done on Smartphones, specifically the official groundspeak app. Just choose to Navigate to the cache, and in the top right corner their will be a small flag button. That is for waypoints. You can then enter your new waypoint and it will create a waypoint on the cache for you. Then you must choose it as your target point and there you go, a multi on a smartphone :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D \:D/ \:D/

LyssLyss
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by LyssLyss » 30 January 12 10:40 pm

For all those in Melbourne - but anyone is Victoria is welcome, we've set up a Facebook group. Geocaching Melbourne, as there didn't seem to be anything else out there so please join our group..

Lemmykc is right, we have done multi caches using both the iphone and android. We have used both the geocaching app as well as Free GPS app which allows you to enter multiple waypoints. Not that we've done many but it's worked for us.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 January 12 10:45 am

LyssLyss wrote:For all those in Melbourne - but anyone is Victoria is welcome, we've set up a Facebook group. Geocaching Melbourne, as there didn't seem to be anything else out there so please join our group..

Lemmykc is right, we have done multi caches using both the iphone and android. We have used both the geocaching app as well as Free GPS app which allows you to enter multiple waypoints. Not that we've done many but it's worked for us.
Please don't pimp your sites. Especially with your first post. I've removed the URL. If you want to go find it, use Google.

TwoDrews
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen
Twitter: _macca_

Post by TwoDrews » 31 January 12 7:04 pm

caughtatwork wrote: Please don't pimp your sites. Especially with your first post. I've removed the URL. If you want to go find it, use Google.
Ummm, there's a precedent. Maybe LyssLyss saw the post at the top of this page...

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 01 February 12 12:01 am

Maybe cos I'm a trusted postee - first postees don't usually get away with pimping urls

:oops:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 12 8:33 am

It also depends on what your mods see at the time.

We don't run ads. We don't charge money for using the site. We don't want people pimping their sites and goods for profit. We want this place to be one of the most "ad free" sites possible.

Scottn1au

Post by Scottn1au » 01 February 12 7:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Geocaching, I stumbled across it on the web somewhere and thought it sounds like fun. The wife and I already spend a lot of time hiking and bushwalking so finding GC's seemed like a great way to enhance the experience although she's not convinced yet.
I live up in the hills near the Danedenong ranges, a little town called Cockatoo(Vic) which has great forests and national parks nearby for walking, I have already found a few GC in my area. I have been using my iPhone with the Geocache app but am thinking i will be purchasing a GPSr soon. I have always thought about getting a Garmin and now I have another excuse to fork out the cash.

I have already posted on this forum a few times today and thought I should introduce myself. I stuffed up and have a slightly diffent username on the American site so am trying to sort that at the moment.

Anyway, thats my story and I look foward to exploring the ins and outs of Geocaching and making new friends with an interest in common.

Cheers

Pooghan

Post by Pooghan » 02 February 12 7:45 am

Hey all, Newbie!!!

Took me a while to register, as my boss has been encouraging me to join (she's a very addicted Cacher lol)

Hope to find some soon :mrgreen: