Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself) parts 1&2

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
paegle boy
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Re: Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself) parts 1&2

Post by paegle boy » 27 May 10 5:31 pm

Pandora wrote:Am a newbie ... tried to get my partner interested some years ago, but didn't quite happen, so am getting back into it.

Live near Picton, the Southern Highlands. Lost my licence (don't ask!), which doesn't go to court until September, so am trying to find caches close to home, until I (hopefully) let my licence back!

Used to do a lot of four wheel driving ... but alas, without a licence, that's on hold. #-o

Anyone in this area?
hay i'm from wollongong if you need help with your geocaching

Pandora

Post by Pandora » 27 May 10 10:36 pm

Thanks! That would be great. Am studying up on the GPS's at the moment, getting somewhat confused to say the least!

Would you be interested in doing the cache at Douglas Park. It's pretty hard though. (We tried to find it years ago, but without success). Doesn't look that hard from the GPS, but as we know, can be deceiving! Aparantely, the GPS drops out at GZ. But I'm determined to find it this time!

:) :)

paegle boy wrote:
Pandora wrote:Am a newbie ... tried to get my partner interested some years ago, but didn't quite happen, so am getting back into it.

Live near Picton, the Southern Highlands. Lost my licence (don't ask!), which doesn't go to court until September, so am trying to find caches close to home, until I (hopefully) let my licence back!

Used to do a lot of four wheel driving ... but alas, without a licence, that's on hold. #-o

Anyone in this area?
hay i'm from wollongong if you need help with your geocaching

homedg
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 27 May 10 11:31 pm

Pandora,
Are you talking about my "put a lid on it" cache?
That's in Douglas Park.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » 28 May 10 7:38 am

Yep, that's the one. Have you managed to find it? :lol:
homedg wrote:Pandora,
Are you talking about my "put a lid on it" cache?
That's in Douglas Park.

homedg

Post by homedg » 28 May 10 3:54 pm

Find it?
I hid it 8) LOL

Pandora

Post by Pandora » 28 May 10 10:56 pm

OH you little bugger ... going to have to find it now! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
homedg wrote:Find it?
I hid it 8) LOL

Pandora

Post by Pandora » 28 May 10 10:59 pm

Tell you what ... weather permitting, if I do find it tomorrow, I shall leave something very interesting behind! A real treasure!

Pandora wrote:OH you little bugger ... going to have to find it now! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
homedg wrote:Find it?
I hid it 8) LOL

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 13 June 10 1:55 pm

[Shamelessly Cut and Pasted from the Geocaching NSW Forum ;)]

Gday All,

Zalgariath AKA James from Sydney. I first heard about Caching from a Canadian friend whilst over there in mid 2009 who said something about some boxes being hidden along a walk we were doing. Oddly enough as soon as I returned to Oz a mate of mine said "Hey James, you like outdoors and geek stuff, wanna come caching?" So I did.

Started slow only caching with my mate but he then got a real job and basically stopped. So a month or two later I began heading out on my own. To this day (hitting 800 finds this week) I only use a TomTom One XL car GPSr, being too lazy to get a 'real' unit. She's collected a few bumps and scratches but gets the job done

After bumming for a year Geocaching literally changed my life. I had been hooked clearing out my home zone around Sydney when the opportunity for me to take up an old job on the road came up. Quickly working out that I was effectively getting paid to travel... and therefore cache!... I now currently find myself tracking all over the country in NSW, Vic, Qld, SA & WA with a fresh pile of caches to be found each day as I move around!

This has allowed me to 'cheat' somewhat however! Due to the thousands of kilometres I need to travel each month I tend to mostly do drivebys on the highways to break up my longs trips and clear out "small town" caches which are often lovely due to lack of muggles

Looking forward to getting back to Sydney to remove a few pesky caches which have popped up of late cluttering my previously pristine clear-out zone!

My name is a handle I have used since being a teenager on BBS's in the 90's. It has no real meaning but I am yet to meet someone else with the same name so it works great for web based logins and usernames! My caching 'signiture' you will find scrawled on your log book (and is my avatar) in the Nordic Rune "Perthro" which represents the Unknown Mysteries of life and the Search therefore of their meaning.... Ive used it for many years and it has found an appropriate home in GC land!

Looking forward to getting back to Sydney and the next event I can attend.... and hitting 1000 caches sometime in the next few months (Even though its not about the numbers haha )

CooperTroop

Post by CooperTroop » 16 June 10 8:43 pm

Hi All!

I've been keen on GPS gadgetry for a few years now - having bought OziExplorer for our 4WD trips and having a GPS enabled Nokia phone that I have previously used to track rides and walks in the bush and then upload to Google Maps.

I've been tossing the idea around in my head for some time on how there could be some sort of internet based competition involving GPS and remote/odd locations - and low and behold I stumbled across geocaching!

Have done a lot of reading up in the last couple of days (while procrastinating from afterhours work tasks :) ) and went and found my first cache today. Was amazed to find that there was one within 200m walk from my house and probably another 10 within a 1km radius. Rather odd thinking that I have probably been a 'muggle' to another geocacher in the past while playing with my dog in the very same park!

Quite excited to now have another good excuse to go on more 4WD trips / Bike rides / dog walks in locations I wouldn't have bothered with before. Now just need to introduce the other half to the game/hobby/sport - the dog is certainly keen for it!

Cheers,
Andres

merlinux81

Post by merlinux81 » 21 July 10 3:35 pm

Hiya everyone!
Im Alexis aka merlinux81 and started caching a few weeks ago. I first heard about caching maybe a year ago on the internet but only went for it after I got my iphone.
Now I have a garmin etrex H heh heh heh...
Im a truck driver in the inner west of sydney so I tend to mostly do caches around. Been in Australia since 2003 and Im originally from new caledonia. Speaking french I pronounce "cache" as "caaassh" :P
Im amazed at how interrested I am in the sport!
Despite my small caching history I have recently hidden 2 caches in sydney (unpublished as I write this) in my attempt to give back to cachers what they have given me ;)
take care!

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 21 July 10 7:18 pm

merlinux81 wrote:Hiya everyone!
Im Alexis aka merlinux81 and started caching a few weeks ago. I first heard about caching maybe a year ago on the internet but only went for it after I got my iphone.
Im a truck driver in the inner west of sydney so I tend to mostly do caches around. Been in Australia since 2003 and Im originally from new caledonia. Speaking french I pronounce "cache" as "caaassh" :P
Despite my small caching history I have recently hidden 2 caches in sydney (unpublished as I write this) in my attempt to give back to cachers what they have given me ;)
take care!
Hi Alexis, nice to hear from you and I'm looking forward to your new caches being published. Hang out here in the forums from time to time and you'll learn heaps of interesting and useful things. And remember you can ask anything here and generally get plenty of helpful replies.

turtle2nine

Post by turtle2nine » 24 July 10 11:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Dave from Victoria here, I (fortunately) stumbled across this rather interesing sport/game very recently whilst reading an article on protective cases for iphones. I thought I'd heard the term "Geocaching" before but couldn't recall when or where. After an hour or so of researching, I was hooked on the idea.
I'm a contractor for the railway in Melbourne so I travel all over but over the last week, I've found (with the assistance of my colleague and daughter) 4 small caches. I've only logged 2 of those so far as I didn't know how to record the other 2 at the time and I had no writing implements for one of them so in the interest of good sportsmanship, I'll be going back to sign the logbook.
Previously owned an etrex but never did anything useful with it, currently using an iphone but now I finally have an excuse to buy something a little bit more tidy, as will my work colleague. It's rubbed off on him too....
Hope to hear from some of you, look forward to being part of the family.

Cheers
Dave

merlinux81

Post by merlinux81 » 25 July 10 6:10 pm

blossom* wrote:
merlinux81 wrote:Hiya everyone!
take care!
Hi Alexis, nice to hear from you and I'm looking forward to your new caches being published. Hang out here in the forums from time to time and you'll learn heaps of interesting and useful things. And remember you can ask anything here and generally get plenty of helpful replies.
caches pulished and already found :| congrats to cachefinders2 and Gowza for FTF (cf GC2BXOX and GC2BX1E)

Gowza
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Gowza » 25 July 10 7:38 pm

caches pulished and already found congrats to cachefinders2 and Gowza for FTF (cf GC2BXOX and GC2BX1E)
And a fine cache it was.... good to see another BIG cache on the north shore!

Now that i've rated a mention I had better do an introduction...

I, Nick, have been caching since 2009 when I was introduced to it by wing6rider. I split my time between Orange and Sydney however am more Sydney based at present... I am a degenerate FTF hound however am not nearly as dedicated as some of my counterparts :twisted:

I frequently cache with my brother 'BGowza' and in regards to equipment I operate an Oregon 550.

Cheers, Gowza

AussieCacher
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by AussieCacher » 28 July 10 1:57 pm

I guess I should introduce myself although many may already know me. I'm originally from Sydney, still own a near new 4 channel GPS from 1991. I live in the US 80% of the time and do most of my caching in the US. For work I'm a corporate communications engineer and also on the national board of directors for a large communications organization. I travel a lot for both which really helps with my geocaching. I get back to Sydney 1-2 times a year and usually host an event. I enjoy geocaching, snow skiing, ham radio, travel, Mt biking, used to please rugby for NSW under 21s, love the beach and enjoy the odd beer or two. I started geocaching in June 2006 one week after my first child was born. I guess kids drive you to do some crazy things. Some of my geocaching stats....I have 109 caches hidden, found more than 7200 caches, Platinum EarthCache Master with more than 130 EarthCache finds and 9 placed, Cached in 21 US states, Canada and Australia, Found 241 caches in 1 day with a friend of mine and found 235 caches in 1 day solo, recently attended Geowoodstock VIII near Seattle and while I was there hit the Groundspeak HQ cache, Original Cache, APE cache and also hit 12 different Icons (types of caches) in 1 day, In one day I cached 14193Km from Sydney to the US and last of all I have 417 FTFs :) I guess I'm a lil crazy when it comes to geocaching. If anyone needs help with anything I mentioned or caching in the US just let me know.