Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself) parts 1&2

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
striaghtarrow

Post by striaghtarrow » 12 January 06 12:21 am

Striaghtarrow Team here based in kalgoorlie WA. Found out about the whole Goecache thing on Sunday 8 jan 06 and it sparked the interest a bit. I have been logging through the USA site and was just looking at Bear_Left web page and found the aussie site so here i am........

Dottie

Post by Dottie » 12 January 06 9:22 am

Hi, I'm Dottie, I found this site quite by accident yesterday, after googling something else. I am intrigued by what I've read so far and I plan to lurk around this board for a while, to get the gist of what it's all about. If it's as interesting as it seems to be, I might even get me a GPS and start to try and find caches!
I'm from NSW, live in a place, that's not even a town, more of a locality.

Liska

Post by Liska » 15 January 06 11:40 pm

Hey, Lisa here. Heard about geocaching here and there for a few months now, but only really understood it when a friend told me about his adventures hehe. I found it interesting enough to order myself a gps (Etrex Legend), now the waiting game till it arrives :(
I'm from Yarram in sth gippsland but spend most my time in melb, and i can see that there are many caches around both my homes and in between, i'm gonna be kept quite busy!

3BlindEyes

New Member Intro

Post by 3BlindEyes » 16 January 06 3:22 am

Hi all, my names Mal and my partner is Ursula, a lovely German lady. We're in Armadale, WA and just joined this site today. We got a couple of cache locations and went out and found them both straight away! so now Ursula is hooked, she absolutely loves it. We both enjoy the hunt and the walks around nice spots we haven't visited before. I first used a GPS back in 1990 when my dad 'the gadget freak' just had to have one. Cost him $4500. I used it for positioning caves/karst at Cape Range and saw its potential straight away, and thought "I really hafta get one of these things one day!". A friend gave me his old Magellan Blazer12 a couple of years ago which was a good little unit, but it took like an hour to pick up satellites, sigh, then it was stolen last October, so I thought that was a good excuse to buy a new gps :) I bought a new Garmin Camo, but one of my nephews loved it, and wanted to get into this 'geocaching thing' with me after hearing about my Minnawarra Park hunt (read below), so he ended up with it. I then decided to buy myself a nice flash gps for xmas, so I got a Garmin StreetPilot 2610 as I've wanted one of those for ages. I rigged up a 12v battery pack to take it out caching! haha works well, but a little heavy! Good exercise though! My nephews mum (my sister) is interested in caching too, so she bought herself a Garmin eTrex Vista, then got a 2610 as well to match me. Now she and my nephew can't wait to go caching with their new toys. I first heard about caching a couple of months ago while browsing the web one night, so I stayed up late and read all about it. I saw there was a cache close by in Minnawarra Park called 'an easy walk' so Ursula and I went out with my Camo to find it. We tried 3 different times to locate it and had a great time and loved our walks/hunts, but we still haven't found that one. We both agree it's been taken away :/ will have to email the owner and find out about it now that we've joined this site.
Would love to meet some other Perth cachers, we'll no doubt bump into some one day while out hunting! and I'm sure we'll enjoy this geo-community :)

Woolly Bugger

Post by Woolly Bugger » 16 January 06 10:12 pm

In the Cherrybrook, Sydney area. Came across geocaching whilst listening to George and Paul last Saturday moring on 2UE (going to Golf). Sparked my interest as I enjoy walking the dog down in the local bush when I can. Have discovered that some caches have been hidden locally and am procrastinating as to what GPS I should buy (entry level or colour with mapping capability). So just trying to cram in as much info from web sites etc as possible.

Team_Yabudarra

Team Yabudarra

Post by Team_Yabudarra » 20 January 06 12:56 am

Hi Everyone
My name is Janine and I together with my husband (maybe) and any number of my 4 teenage sons at any given time intend to take to this new sport wth a passion. Our team name is Yabudarra, which is also our farm name in Gidgegannup (Eastern Hills - Perth WA) where we breed cattle and Shetland Ponies.

I really enjoy going to new places and now with a mission nothing is going to stop us. :)

My 14 year old is involved with army cadets and is very interested in orienteering. It was him (Jarrad) that sparked the interest for us. He has an etrex camo and I have an etrex vista. I will have to run faster so I can keep up with him once he gets going.

We have found one cache and it was so much fun we intend to try to do a few every weekend.

Hope to meet a few of you in our travels.

sdpet

Just a Greeting

Post by sdpet » 20 January 06 8:08 pm

Hi all just a short note to say hi. My wife an I live at Bacchus Marsh between Melbourne and Ballarat and are interested in bushwalking. So we thought that this game would suit us well to mix two things together. Looking forward to meeting with other geocachers.

Cheers Steve

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 20 January 06 8:58 pm

We are a bit overdue in introducing ourselves on here, but better late than never. My name is Jason, my caching partner is Jacqui, we live in Hahndorf South Aus. We have no children which sometimes works both for and against us in regards to caching. We discovered geocaching after reading the article in Adelaides Sunday Mail sometime back in May 2005, and from this article I knew this was the liesure activity we had been waiting for. Jacqui is an avid cow collector, hence our avatar. Lots more we could tell, but we'll leave it till we hopefully get to meet other cachers at our first event cache.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 January 06 10:39 pm

J_&_J wrote:We are a bit overdue in introducing ourselves on here, but better late than never. My name is Jason, my caching partner is Jacqui, we live in Hahndorf South Aus. We have no children which sometimes works both for and against us in regards to caching. We discovered geocaching after reading the article in Adelaides Sunday Mail sometime back in May 2005, and from this article I knew this was the liesure activity we had been waiting for. Jacqui is an avid cow collector, hence our avatar. Lots more we could tell, but we'll leave it till we hopefully get to meet other cachers at our first event cache.
Hey. You should hookup with Team Actioncow!

daSilvia

Post by daSilvia » 11 April 06 10:47 am

Hi. My name is Randal and together with my fiance Nicole, and anyone else we can rope in, we are Diaboli-Kal. The name comes from Nicci's favourite word and our location of Kalgoorlie, WA.
<p>
I first heard about geocaching on a vidcast called HackTV, (Episode 3, I believe) and was elated to find there were caches in our local area.
<p>
Being a gadget nut I 'needed' all the good stuff, and have equipped myself with a Garmin eTrex Legend with Tracks4Australia maps, Palm Vx running Cachemate and my Linux OS'd laptop. For software I am using QGIS to upload waypoints to the GPSr and CMConvert to convert Geocaching.com pocket query files from .gpx to .pdb for the Palm.
<p>
The GeoMobile is Nicole's 97 Prado, but I'm not sure for how much longer as I am getting into trouble for the scratches.
<p>
Cheers <br>
Diaboli-Kal (email: geocaching @ dasilvia.org)
Last edited by daSilvia on 11 April 06 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 11 April 06 12:38 pm

Welcome Randal and Nicole, good to see another WA based cacher on the forum. You'll need to link your desilva name to your Diaboli-Kal caching name if you want stats carried over from the US site. One of the mods can do that for you ... or you'll need to change your user name here to Diaboli-Kal as well.<br>Sounds like you've got a good setup for caching and 4WD's are built so we can scratch 'em up :wink: <p>Cheers for now

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 April 06 1:00 pm

TEAM LANDCRUISER wrote:Welcome Randal and Nicole, good to see another WA based cacher on the forum. You'll need to link your desilva name to your Diaboli-Kal caching name if you want stats carried over from the US site. One of the mods can do that for you ... or you'll need to change your user name here to Diaboli-Kal as well.<br>Sounds like you've got a good setup for caching and 4WD's are built so we can scratch 'em up :wink: <p>Cheers for now
The cacher set up was previously requested and completed so Diaboli-Kal is allready being used.

daSilvia

Post by daSilvia » 11 April 06 3:38 pm

Thanx for the kind welcome, Team Landcruiser. :)
<p>
daSilvia is what I call my '91 Nissan Silvia (daSilvia.org), so I use it as my login for lots of things. And as caughtatwork said, the Diaboli-Kal cache name is linked in.
<p>
Cheers <br>
Randal

geodementia

Post by geodementia » 23 April 06 10:41 pm

We've been caching since December 05, but havn't really introduced ourselves as yet, so here goes :)

Geodementia is a family team of 3... (well, 2 really and a very young bloke who prefers to try and eat everything).... We usually cache in spurts when we go away on a trip, since I don't get much opportunity to slip away from work, and the young fella takes up a lot of time on the weekends :roll:

We were introduced to Geocaching by ADACache, and we often catch up for a couple of finds.

TEAM DENMAR

Post by TEAM DENMAR » 03 May 06 7:31 pm

Hi from TEAM DENMAR.
we live in Tumut in the snowy mountains. Mary and I [Denis] drive school
buses for the local operator. We have put out a number of caches in the
mountains and town areas.We have a garmin e'trex legend our first GPS.
which we are happy with.'Happy caching."