Where are we all from??? (introduce yourself) parts 1&2

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 07 January 05 7:48 am

Gidday Team 360, welcome "down under"
cheers Darren :)

ideology

Post by ideology » 07 January 05 9:34 am

welcome 360, thanks for dropping in!

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 07 January 05 11:57 am

Welcome Team 360.
Yes we do have snow but only in some parts of the country.
Image It is mainly in the South east part of the main land on the "Great deviding range" and in Tasmania (the island down south) and just sometimes on West Australia's highest mountains.

TEAM 360

Post by TEAM 360 » 07 January 05 12:28 pm

WOW! Snow in Australia...never thought I would see that...very cool, thanks for posting it!

lowracer

Howdy from Texas

Post by lowracer » 09 January 05 6:14 am

Just wanted to stop in and say howdy. I saw the Aussie "dust-up" in the gc.com forums over the Tsunami cache and wanted to drop in and voice my moral support.

As a rabble-rouser in the Texas Secession movement, I'm encouraged to see that some of you are considering dropping geocaching.com. I'm also happy to find that you are starting your own listing site down here. I have advocated this same course of action for Texas.

I cancelled my gc.com account, let my premium membership lapse, turned all my 'smileys' into 'notes' (I had around 540, yes it took hours) archived all my caches (I had 80 at one time, and yes i'm still going out and picking up the boxes) and now I play on other sites only, principally Terracaching.com. With multiple sites to choose from, you do have to do a little more work to find the caches, but the game is after all, about finding things. And it's even more fun, because the arbitrary rules and unelected approvers are gone. Why should someone thousands of miles away decide how you are going to play this game?

I admit I'm also a bit stung whenever some of you say that it's the "US" that is the problem. Please, there are many of us in the US who are also very dissatisfied with groundspeak. When we say we have an issue with groundspeak, we use the word "Seattle," or "Big Green," or "the Frog," or other less family-friendly terms. Please don't think for a minute that groundspeak's policies represent the opinions of the entire USA.

Thanks. Hope to visit y'all someday, maybe find a cache or two.

Cache on!
-mark.

Geof

Post by Geof » 09 January 05 1:38 pm

Please don't think for a minute that groundspeak's policies represent the opinions of the entire USA.
Welcome lowracer.

I realy don't think any of us think you are all like that. Sure many of us got a little hot headed the other day (or rather night&morning).

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 09 January 05 11:44 pm

[quote="Geof"] just [i]sometimes[/i] on West Australia's highest mountains.[/quote]
<P>
I think that should be singular [mountain] and then there would really need to be a debate as to whether in fact Bluff Knoll is a mountain 8)
<p>
Andrew

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 10 January 05 8:04 am

TEAM 360 wrote:Well, I live in Prescott, Arizona, and it DOES snow up here in the winter, but I am moving back down to the Phoenix area in a few days...Glad to be here!
I hope you remember the mantra: "But it's a DRY heat!" :D

Say G'Day to Steve and Judi of Team Tierra Buena if you run into them. They were very hospitable to me when I was there a few months ago.
(I never got to see Prescott, unless it's visible from Interstate 17!)

Welcome again to the Aussie forums. I'm currently an ex-Aussie Kiwi, but I'm coming back to the West Island in a few weeks.
To Perth. "But it's a DRY heat!" :wink:

Geof

Post by Geof » 10 January 05 9:31 am

Bluff Knoll looked like a mountain to me and a nice one at that!

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 10 January 05 10:08 am

[quote="Geof"]Bluff Knoll looked like a mountain to me and a nice one at that![/quote]
<p>
As an expat Kiwi I get amused at WA's naming of bumps mountains. Just south of Perth there is a Mt Brown (I think it is called) which is all of 50 metres high :D
<p>
Bluff Knoll at just over 1000 metres may qualify 8)
<p>

Andrew

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 11 January 05 4:10 pm

... and a big welcome to our recent new members from USA and Canada, including rusty, cymbc, nanuuk and briansnat. Please introduce yourselves.

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 12 January 05 5:35 pm

Hey there,
<br><br>
I'm Sc00t aka Liz, i'm part of Team Booya (www.teambooya.com). I live in North Strathfield, Sydney and have been caching since the middle of 2004. I love it!!!!
<br><br>
I have a GIS/Remote Sensing background and currently work the the Department of Lands. I found out about geocaching while at Uni but took awhile to get into it.
<br><br>
I now have all the toys including an eTrex Legend....its especially nice 'cause its blue :)
<br><br>
Feel free to pop over to the website http://www.teambooya.com and introduce yourself on our forums, plus we have pics and cache reviews there!!!
<br><br>

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 13 January 05 10:59 am

Hi my names Matt aka XF king and i am 20 years old. I have been geocaching for the last 6 months myself and got introduced to geocaching by team rabbitto in march of last year. I live in Springvale and I love this sport. Gets me out and obout and off my computer hehe.

cheeeeese2001

Post by cheeeeese2001 » 13 January 05 1:57 pm

G'day,<P>

I'm Simon from Castle Hill, Sydney. My first geocaching experience was in November 2004 with some fellow geocachers, although I had heard about it well before then. Santa gave me a Magellan Meridian for Christmas, mostly for 4WDing but with the added bonus of being able to get into geocaching.<P>

Just have to read the rules and we're away!<P>

See you round!

muzza
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by muzza » 13 January 05 3:18 pm

Hi.

I'm Muzza. I haven't introduced myself on this forum so I am doing so now. I bought a GPS (Magellan MAP330) back in about October 2001 for some solo bushwalking. A couple of months later I was reading a 6 month old copy of Silicon Australia when I came across an article on GPS's and Geocaching. It caught my attention because the cover had a picture of the same GPS as mine.

My first cache was on Dec 24, 2001 and I loved it. I thought I'd keep going until I reached 50 to see if I still enjoyed it, and I haven't looked back. The rest is history so they say. (Just did my 800th cache yesterday with around 70 hides under my belt).