From Publish to Log ! - an FTF record?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

From Publish to Log ! - an FTF record?

Post by solomonfamily » 28 January 10 9:47 pm

On the way home from a country drive for work today I had the good fortune to check my email at the right moment to discover a newly published cache (GC23APE) was just minutes away.

I was able to make the find within 27min from receiving the email to writing in log book. Are there records for this type of thing.

I certainly had no knowledge that a cache was going to be published or when.

Our thanks to EuDes for making us think about this a bit more.

Lucy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Re: From Publish to Log ! - an FTF record?

Post by Lucy » 28 January 10 9:57 pm

That is not too bad, but I had a FTF in under 20 minutes from time of publishing, and even that hasn't been quick enough to beat one very keen team here in Nowra, I think they have managed under 15 minutes!

2dudez
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by 2dudez » 28 January 10 10:36 pm

12 minutes for me. (it was only a few hundred metres from home so would have looked a bit embarrassing if I missed out on it)

TiedyeSmileys
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TiedyeSmileys » 29 January 10 12:02 am

Here's the log entry from the FTF from one of the caches we hid:

"was only 1km away from this cache when the notification came through on my phone at 1424. I then had the cache in hand by 1432.
Nice hide, had me going for a minute or two."

gd___
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by gd___ » 29 January 10 9:38 am

Here's the log from my quickest FTF it is less than 70m from my house and took around the ten minute mark.
I had just arrived home and sat down at the computer to check the days going ons, answered an email then this notification popped up. Yay a new cache and it's close by, infact I can see GZ from where I'm sitting. So I jumped the back fence and after a bit of wandering in circles I found the goods, Just as I thought it would be. And a *FTF*

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 29 January 10 9:41 am

I know that AdrianMc was at the local shops one night, and got the notification through as he was at the checkout.
Turns out that the cache was right behind the shops and he had the FTF in 5 minutes or less.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 29 January 10 11:24 am

In some cases the time from published to FTF can be negative! I know of one case where a cache was found before it was published. The cacher involved was checking a spot he planned to place a cache and found an unpublished cache already there. I imagine there have been other examples like that.

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 29 January 10 5:52 pm

Ask Tankengine about finding a string of caches before they were published officially.

He has an hilarious story and the hider wasn't impressed!!! and didn't believe that the finds were real when the logs came in so quickly after the official publication
Of course it is all ancient history now - but I thought it was a cracker.

pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by pwags » 29 January 10 6:31 pm

solomonfamily wrote:On the way home from a country drive for work today I had the good fortune to check my email at the right moment to discover a newly published cache (GC23APE) was just minutes away.

I was able to make the find within 27min from receiving the email to writing in log book. Are there records for this type of thing.

I certainly had no knowledge that a cache was going to be published or when.

Our thanks to EuDes for making us think about this a bit more.
OK - time for me to confess, particularly seeing that solomonfamily started this thread.

You may remember that I was FTF on solomonfamily's entry in the Moving Cache Race, "Surge Upwards"... http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga1674

Well, I actually found this cache around 6 hours before it was published at midnight, as I had been browsing the photos on GCA, and saw their photo of the black sculpture, with a "MCR" notation against the photo. I instantly recognised the sculpture from my time studying Engineering at unimelb many years ago, so decided to drop by and try my luck. Sure enough, there was the cache sitting right inside the sculpture, found at "t-minus-six" hours. My FTF log of course didn't declare that! :^o

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 29 January 10 8:08 pm

Michael Palin: You were lucky. We cached for three months from a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go and cache down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his Oregon!

Graham Chapman: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to cache at the mill every day for one cache a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken eTrex, if we were LUCKY!

Terry Gilliam: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the geomobile clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, cached twenty-four hours a day at the mill for one cache every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a Gecko.

Eric Idle: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, cache twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay cache owner for permission to find it, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Michael Palin: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 30 January 10 10:28 am

We were FTF on a cache that was about 600km from home... and it wasn't even published yet :shock:
Having lunch and thought "that would be a good place for a cache......hello :D "
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 852c7193ea