Bookmark list of Archived National Parks Caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Bookmark list of Archived National Parks Caches

Post by bshwckr » 10 December 09 1:31 pm

Following the latest update on caching in NSW NP, I have reluctantly archived all of my caches that are within the boundaries of the National Parks.
It was this part of the newsletter that had me seriously considering it;
Littering. Under the NPWS regulation littering is an offensive and people ‘caught’ littering will receive an on-the-spot fine or could face prosecution. As geocaches are considered litter, anyone seen placing a geocache (or has previously done so) is liable.

The situation surrounding geocachers searching for geocaches is a little grey. Seeing a piece of litter, or a geocache, and leaving it in place would not result in a fine. But, if in the act of searching, finding or replacing the geocache, the geocacher walks off a trail and damages wildlife, they may face prosecution under another section of the regulation. On top of that, the act of picking up the geocache and then replacing it may also be considered as ‘re-littering’.

And the clincher came here;
In summary, Geocaching NSW asks its members and the wider geocaching community to avoid geocaching in NSW National Parks while this review process is underway. The committee believes that geocaching in NSW National Parks at this point in time is against the spirit of co-operation that we are building between the NPWS and the geocaching community.

In memoriam to my favourite NSW NP caches , I have decided to create a public Bookmark List of now archived caches that provided a really nice bushwalk or experience. So far, I have only added my own recently archived caches. Can forum members recommend any others for me to add?

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/vie ... 9d4f07e463

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Re: Bookmark list of Archived National Parks Caches

Post by blossom* » 10 December 09 1:40 pm

Why not look at turning them into GCA Virtual Caches? The only issue to consider then is whether there would be a problem with people walking off-track in sensitive areas?

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 10 December 09 2:38 pm

blossom* wrote:Why not look at turning them into GCA Virtual Caches? The only issue to consider then is whether there would be a problem with people walking off-track in sensitive areas?
Nice idea! None of my ex NP caches were placed in environmentally sensitive areas so they are all good to go as a virtual.

PS. If anyone is going for a walk anywhere near my ex caches in the next few weeks, would it be possible to collect for me? I will arrange to pick them up from you. I was actually looking forward to the excuse of all these nice walks to pick them up but a family illness is delaying me.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 10 December 09 4:52 pm

:evil: Glad I have done 3 out of your 4 now archived caches.

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 10 December 09 5:17 pm

All ex National Parks Caches are now up as Virtual's on GCA.

P.S. You can go again now tronador. :D
Last edited by bshwckr on 13 December 09 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 12 December 09 8:49 pm

Another option is to convert them to Whereigo caches with a waypoint being the old final inside the NP and the new final outside of the park. Set up the Whereigo as a simple question that must be answered from some information available at the old final site like measured distance between two trees, width or a rock or information on a NP sign to prevent emulation solution.
Or just convert them to a multi with the same information used to give an offset to the new final location outside the park.

tronador

Post by tronador » 12 December 09 8:54 pm

Zytheran wrote:Another option is to convert them to Whereigo caches with a waypoint being the old final inside the NP and the new final outside of the park. Set up the Whereigo as a simple question that must be answered from some information available at the old final site like measured distance between two trees, width or a rock or information on a NP sign to prevent emulation solution.
Or just convert them to a multi with the same information used to give an offset to the new final location outside the park.
Not every one has one of those Gps's that play those Where I go thingy's :evil: Not so many of those please!!!!! :D

homedg
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 13 December 09 12:15 am

Not the right thread i know' but here is the NSW Police take on litter. It's just a shame to see these GREAT caches disappearing when the rules are really the same everywhere.................

Penalties

On-the-spot fines
(also called penalty notices or penalty infringement notices)

Different on-the-spot fines apply depending on the litter involved and the circumstances of the case:

littering with a small item — $60
littering with unlit cigarette or extinguished cigarette butt (excluding littering from a vehicle) – $60
littering with lit cigarette butt (excluding littering from a vehicle)— $200
littering from vehicle (any type of litter) — $200 individuals/$400 corporations
general littering (excluding cigarettes and littering from a vehicle) — $200 individuals/$400 corporations
aggravated littering — $375 individuals/$750 corporations
depositing advertising material in place or on vehicle — $200 individuals/$400 corporations
causing or asking person to deposit advertising material contrary to Act — $200 individuals/$400 corporations.

bshwckr wrote:Following the latest update on caching in NSW NP, I have reluctantly archived all of my caches that are within the boundaries of the National Parks.
Littering. Under the NPWS regulation littering is an offensive and people ‘caught’ littering will receive an on-the-spot fine or could face prosecution. As geocaches are considered litter, anyone seen placing a geocache (or has previously done so) is liable.
The situation surrounding geocachers searching for geocaches is a little grey. Seeing a piece of litter, or a geocache, and leaving it in place would not result in a fine. But, if in the act of searching, finding or replacing the geocache, the geocacher walks off a trail and damages wildlife, they may face prosecution under another section of the regulation. On top of that, the act of picking up the geocache and then replacing it may also be considered as ‘re-littering’.

In summary, Geocaching NSW asks its members and the wider geocaching community to avoid geocaching in NSW National Parks while this review process is underway. The committee believes that geocaching in NSW National Parks at this point in time is against the spirit of co-operation that we are building between the NPWS and the geocaching community.

In memoriam to my favourite NSW NP caches , I have decided to create a public Bookmark List of now archived caches that provided a really nice bushwalk or experience. So far, I have only added my own recently archived caches. Can forum members recommend any others for me to add?

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 13 December 09 7:03 am

homedg wrote:Not the right thread i know' but here is the NSW Police take on litter. It's just a shame to see these GREAT caches disappearing when the rules are really the same everywhere.................

Penalties

On-the-spot fines
(also called penalty notices or penalty infringement notices)

Different on-the-spot fines apply depending on the litter involved and the circumstances of the case:

littering with a small item — $60
littering with unlit cigarette or extinguished cigarette butt (excluding littering from a vehicle) – $60
littering with lit cigarette butt (excluding littering from a vehicle)— $200
littering from vehicle (any type of litter) — $200 individuals/$400 corporations
general littering (excluding cigarettes and littering from a vehicle) — $200 individuals/$400 corporations
aggravated littering — $375 individuals/$750 corporations
depositing advertising material in place or on vehicle — $200 individuals/$400 corporations
causing or asking person to deposit advertising material contrary to Act — $200 individuals/$400 corporations.

bshwckr wrote:Following the latest update on caching in NSW NP, I have reluctantly archived all of my caches that are within the boundaries of the National Parks.

It could be argued that a Geocache is not litter. The generally accepted description of litter is something discarded in an untidy manner.
The litter rule was not my main reason for archiving. My main reason is that NPWS have rules against it and in order to continue amicable debate, I felt it the right thing to do.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 13 December 09 8:51 am

bshwckr wrote: It could be argued that a Geocache is not litter. The generally accepted description of litter is something discarded in an untidy manner.
The litter rule was not my main reason for archiving. My main reason is that NPWS have rules against it and in order to continue amicable debate, I felt it the right thing to do.
Agreed. Also the litter definition describes it as being something worthless discarded. I wouldn't think a $10 ammo can carefully concealed somewhere would fit the litter definition.

homedg

Post by homedg » 13 December 09 10:55 am

bshwckr wrote: It could be argued that a Geocache is not litter. The generally accepted description of litter is something discarded in an untidy manner.
Couldn't agree more.
Back on topic, check out some of Team Webguys archived classics for your list.
The Alien Outpost series in particular was one of my favourite cache adventures ever!!!!!!

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 13 December 09 4:28 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. The list is growing.

canary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by canary » 27 October 10 9:52 am

bshwckr wrote:If anyone is going for a walk anywhere near my ex caches in the next few weeks, would it be possible to collect for me? I will arrange to pick them up from you. I was actually looking forward to the excuse of all these nice walks to pick them up but a family illness is delaying me.

I am planning to return to "The Hippos - Ex NPWS NSW" for my 1000th GCA and GC cache! Does this still need collecting? What about "Deep Forest" and "The Bee Gees - EX NSW NPWS"?

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 27 October 10 1:08 pm

canary wrote:
bshwckr wrote:If anyone is going for a walk anywhere near my ex caches in the next few weeks, would it be possible to collect for me? I will arrange to pick them up from you. I was actually looking forward to the excuse of all these nice walks to pick them up but a family illness is delaying me.

I am planning to return to "The Hippos - Ex NPWS NSW" for my 1000th GCA and GC cache! Does this still need collecting? What about "Deep Forest" and "The Bee Gees - EX NSW NPWS"?
Hi canary
I would appreciate if you can collect Hippos for me. Deep Forest is also still out there. I have collected Bee Gees. For your efforts, keep the containers and goodies (if any) to make new caches or swaps. From memory, Hippos is an ammo tin.
Regards
Mark

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 27 October 10 10:48 pm

homedg wrote:
Couldn't agree more.
Back on topic, check out some of Team Webguys archived classics for your list.
The Alien Outpost series in particular was one of my favourite cache adventures ever!!!!!!

Hence why with the later series I was particularly careful to not place them in NP's. Not hard to do, and it took me to a bunch of new places I had never been into.