Puzzle Ideas

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The SBI

Puzzle Ideas

Post by The SBI » 22 November 09 1:36 pm

I'm involved in Rovers, (scouts for 18-26 year olds) my crew is organizing a major event for the South Australian Branch of scout called NONT, it is essentially an overnight rally that relies on solving puzzles to work out the directions between activity check points, and looking for certain signs on the side of the road.

I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to suggest some idea for puzzles I could use. They need to be reasonably simple, and not require any additional knowledge over what can be provided. In the past puzzles such as substitution ciphers, jigsaws or sudokus have been used, but I am looking for some new ideas.
thanks

RobWinmar

Re: Puzzle Ideas

Post by RobWinmar » 22 November 09 1:51 pm

I'm still trying to work out how to solve more of the flippin' things! :)

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 22 November 09 4:12 pm

I think that all those that you have listed should be enough. Much more else and you start to go into the area of having to have extra knowledge about that type of field/puzzle.

Black Bunny

Post by Black Bunny » 22 November 09 4:30 pm

If you have the time to create it, a crossword is a good puzzle - I'm struggling with a crossword mystery cache right now (GC1FA7N).

It also never hurts to have a tiny bit of old-fashioned Scout tracking - tie a knot in a piece of grass, arrange three sticks as an arrow...

Try going back to old Scout and/or Guide manuals, and steal a few refresher ideas out of those. Sometimes the really basic stuff can throw them. Invisible ink? Animal tracks?

I've just been translating the morse code on our National Museum, here in Canberra...

Good luck! Hide all the rope, so they can't tie a noose and lynch you. :-)

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 22 November 09 9:48 pm

I'd easily reckon Winterdragon would let you borrow "Home Improvements", Z would let you borrow "The Daedalus Portal" and the Stanleys "Paper Planes" as some neat ideas for having to cut and fold paper to find answers.
Logic Mazes are also a fun option - just need straw bales or star pickets to create areas and boundaries. Email me if you want more info.
Cheers 8)

Shifter Brains
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by Shifter Brains » 23 November 09 11:06 am

Have a look at our cache Mardi Grass http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC1299C for a puzzle I have used with Girl Guides, that uses compass directions. It is a fairly simple one as I used it with my Junior Guides unit.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 23 November 09 12:48 pm

calumphing_four wrote:I'd easily reckon Winterdragon would let you borrow "Home Improvements", Z would let you borrow "The Daedalus Portal" and the Stanleys "Paper Planes" as some neat ideas for having to cut and fold paper to find answers.
Logic Mazes are also a fun option - just need straw bales or star pickets to create areas and boundaries. Email me if you want more info.
Cheers 8)
Yeah, grab what you want from my 80+ puzzles.
Another location for easier puzzles is some of the puzzle collection books you can usually find in bookstores. They are cheap and although very repetitive sometimes have some new ideas.
And yep, logic mazes are always a favorite, I've run 2 different sorts now, the latest being a step over maze which can be made with colored cheap rope.
(See http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC1RWTJ )