Cacher dies in USA

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Cacher dies in USA

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 17 November 09 10:44 pm

A cacher has fallen down a cliff and died in Washington state USA, while out caching with his wife.
The GC forum site has more details.
I have had a few 'boy that was close moments', out caching. Sad to think that this hobby has taken a life.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Re: Cacher dies in USA

Post by rhinogeo » 17 November 09 10:55 pm

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 18 November 09 3:25 pm

Sad yes, but there are risks involved in everything we do, and at the end of the day it comes down to managing those risks, and getting on with life.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by If » 21 November 09 10:11 pm

Sad indeed :cry:

But better to be the only statistic who died geocaching than one of the over 40,000 Americans who died on the roads this year \:D/

I wonder how many of them were driving to/from a cache :?

We will never know :-k

just a thought ....

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 22 November 09 4:06 pm

Very sad news indeed and not a topic we would like to see again.<br>
The only thing that this changes the way I geocache is what safety equipment
should I carry when doing any caches above a 3.5.<p>
There are some interesting stories on the US site and I never gave a thought about
carrying some rope in a back pack, bandages, and a few other bits and pieces, but one story
about a cacher trying to climb out of a hillside in what would be a 2-2.5 on a dry day has made me think to "be prepared".<p>

stringy

Post by stringy » 22 November 09 4:22 pm

Yes very sad indeed for the persons family.

I would feel for the cacher who placed the cache there.

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 22 November 09 5:23 pm

stringy wrote:Yes very sad indeed for the persons family.

I would feel for the cacher who placed the cache there.
<p>
Very true

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 23 November 09 1:15 pm

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote:Very sad news indeed and not a topic we would like to see again.<br>
The only thing that this changes the way I geocache is what safety equipment
should I carry when doing any caches above a 3.5.<p>
There are some interesting stories on the US site and I never gave a thought about
carrying some rope in a back pack, bandages, and a few other bits and pieces, but one story
about a cacher trying to climb out of a hillside in what would be a 2-2.5 on a dry day has made me think to "be prepared".<p>
As someone who routinely puts out caches in 4+ terrain I routinely carry the same daypack geocaching I would use hiking. It has a decent medical kit, emergency blanket, water, food, pocket knife, emergency spray jacket, spare batteries, torch and most stuff needed to survive a night out with a broken leg/knee/ankle. However none of this would have helped in this situation with such a high fall.

It's truly sad that someone has died and it must have been incredibly traumatic for his wife who was there, however as others have pointed out, it's usually more dangerous driving to the cache area than the actual finding. In other sports I'm involved in we have had people die or end up with serious brain injury in road accidents. I'm sure it will happen in Geocaching, we generally do a lot of driving going after geocaches. And my feelings go out for the poor hiders, even though they are in no way responsible from what I have read, there's still the "What if.." thoughts that would be plaguing them.

The only advise I can offer with regard to high terrain caches is be prepared for doing them by reading the previous logs and looking at the photos, do them with other people (its more fun anyway) and be prepared for bailing out if it gets too freaky or the weather makes it too dangerous. There's plenty of caches to choose from these days and no rush to do them.

nibbler
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by nibbler » 24 November 09 2:04 pm

sorry to see an accident like this happen . Maybe a memorial cache might be appropriate place in a safe area near by :-k

forthferalz
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by forthferalz » 25 November 09 12:38 am

This isn't the first cache related death - there was a hider who died in the UK a year or two ago. Very sad. The details will surface after the inquest.

( I came to this sport because i was always so afraid of the big outdoors. Caching has held my hand and taught me and the kids a lot about how to handle it and minimise the inherent risks. Good track notes, well thought out hides, friends to go along on the harder ones - these have blessed us with many priceless moments. Stupidity has given me a few scary moments. )