Hello from _RAAF_Stupot

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
_RAAF_Stupot

Hello from _RAAF_Stupot

Post by _RAAF_Stupot » 15 November 09 5:40 pm

Hello all, I thought it was about time to finally introduce myself.

Geocaching is something I have been intrigued with for some time (as I like electronic gadgets & geography & bushwalking), so I finally got around to getting myself a handheld GPS & taking the plunge.

Yesterday I tried about 4 local caches & found none of them, today I found 4 out of 5! (BTW I am in Newcastle). A bit of a buzz finding something that 99.99% of the populace doesn't realise is right under their noses!

Now for some questions:

- I have logged today's results in geocaching.com (where the caches are listed) - will those logs automatically show up on Geocaching Australia?

- I already know that I want to be placing some caches because I can guess it's just as much of a buzz for somebody else to find something that I have hidden, as it is for me to find something that somebody else has hidden. So should I register the caches at geocaching.com or Geocaching Australia? (And if I register them at geocaching.com, will they automatically show up in a search done on Geocaching Australia?)

- Have you ever been bailed up by cops wondering at your suspicious activity? One of today's caches was right next to where the bulk carriers load up with coal and the port security did do a driveby scoping me out...... :-" :-" Another thing that gets me thinking, is whether nearby residents / shop owners / etc get really puzzled as to why just about every weekend people keep wandering over to the same spot with an mp3 player in their hand, as if they are searching for something.....

- Have you ever bumped into somebody else looking for the same cache as you at the same time?

Enough for now, I'm sure I'll have more to say later on.

_RAAF_Stupot

Re: Hello from _RAAF_Stupot

Post by _RAAF_Stupot » 15 November 09 6:13 pm

oooohhhh

Just realised there is a general introductions thread - perhaps a moderator can move this if it is more appropriate.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 15 November 09 9:08 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Yes.
Yes(either one. bit more info here: http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Gc_vs_gca ), yes.
Yes.
Yes. There is even a locationless cache you can log for this purpose. http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0738

_RAAF_Stupot

Post by _RAAF_Stupot » 16 November 09 8:00 pm

Thanks for your tips

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 16 November 09 10:38 pm

Actually, let me clarify my answer to your first question.
The logs will automatically show up if you have chosen the same name on both sites. It appears that you have not.

Go to http://geocaching.com.au/my/settings/ and in the last box you can enter the name you have chosen on the other site to link the accounts. Your logs then should show up within a week.
_RAAF_Stupot wrote: - I have logged today's results in geocaching.com (where the caches are listed) - will those logs automatically show up on Geocaching Australia?

_RAAF_Stupot

Post by _RAAF_Stupot » 17 November 09 6:59 pm

Thanks for that tip as well!

WellsInc

Post by WellsInc » 18 November 09 10:37 am

Hi Raaf Stupot
Was wondering how you got your name :D . We have been caching since the beginning of March and have come across one caching family in that time . We both rocked up at a roadside cache on the way to toowoomba. Since the shop behind it closed there was not alot of reason to stop there anymore except to cache.

regards
Wells Inc

_RAAF_Stupot

Post by _RAAF_Stupot » 18 November 09 8:39 pm

How did I get my name?

Well my given name is Stuart - and from an early age my family nickname was Stupot. Secondly I am a member of the Real Aussie Air Force (that is a virtual squadron).

http://www.raafsquad.com/

So that is where the RAAF tag comes from.

Finally I have found it much easier to use the same handle on all the message boards that I frequent - You would be amazed at how many Stupot's there are on the internet, so _RAAF_Stupot it must be!