Bogus Logs (dog108 is logging caches without finding them)

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found

Bogus Logs (dog108 is logging caches without finding them)

Post by Team Wibble » 15 November 09 9:18 am

My inbox is getting increasingly full this morning from owned and watchlist logs from a cacher who registered yesterday, and apparently found an awful lot of caches yesterday and today, including Z's new cache, 39 green ghosts, the Paint it Black event, etc.

An easy check of our closest owned cache reveals the expected - no log in the log book.
We'll be deleting logs on our caches, just alerting (although by now it should be looking obvious to others) to the bogus nature of the logs.

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Re: Bogus Logs

Post by calumphing_four » 15 November 09 9:34 am

Team Wibble wrote:My inbox is getting increasingly full this morning from owned and watchlist logs from a cacher who registered yesterday, and apparently found an awful lot of caches yesterday and today, including Z's new cache, 39 green ghosts, the Paint it Black event, etc.

An easy check of our closest owned cache reveals the expected - no log in the log book.
We'll be deleting logs on our caches, just alerting (although by now it should be looking obvious to others) to the bogus nature of the logs.
I'm sure Z's new cache is closer to walk for you than your closest cache :P

But yes noticed Dog108 logs from having a watch on my GC closest to home unfound cache "First Lunar" :twisted: (200+ days at the top ](*,) ) Initially I thought a new user just visited the old Apollo Stadium site until I looked and saw Green Ghosts, Hurtle's final Onkaparinga Gorge cache ......

The SBI

Post by The SBI » 15 November 09 9:59 am

I'm somewhat impressed that they managed to find white while it is behind construction fences and unavailable, and that they can find so many hours in a day, I wish I had the time to do 59 green ghost and the entire onkaparinga series i one day, let alone have time for another 50 hard caches ](*,)

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 15 November 09 10:40 am

He did well to track down all the Travel Bugs required to find "Unlock the Mystery". :^o

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 15 November 09 11:43 am

Yeah, pretty lame. Took all of 1 minute to delete the bogus logs.
Now to find out how to close the account down, any ideas?

gibbo003
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by gibbo003 » 15 November 09 11:46 am

It's people like this that mess with the stats. We have had the same type of thing in the NT and we deleted their logs from GC but not before they were posted on GCA and we cannot delete them. The stats show him in the top five cachers for the NT in 2008 when we know he only found less than 10 in the NT. (confirmed by checking the logs)

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 15 November 09 11:53 am

gibbo003 wrote:It's people like this that mess with the stats. We have had the same type of thing in the NT and we deleted their logs from GC but not before they were posted on GCA and we cannot delete them.
I'm sure the admin here can pull a few strings if you asked them.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 15 November 09 12:20 pm

gibbo003 wrote:It's people like this that mess with the stats. We have had the same type of thing in the NT and we deleted their logs from GC but not before they were posted on GCA and we cannot delete them. The stats show him in the top five cachers for the NT in 2008 when we know he only found less than 10 in the NT. (confirmed by checking the logs)
PM me the details and I'll look in to it. ( Both the SA and NT ones)

Team Wibble

Post by Team Wibble » 15 November 09 12:47 pm

Interesting to note that the status on their profile now reads "Not a validated member", which implies that something is happening in the background regarding their user account? (I really have no idea how to "report" an account to groundspeak).

Not slowing them down though. Up to 156 logs, and that doesn't include the ones that have been deleted. They're getting stuck into Victorian caches now too :?

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 15 November 09 12:53 pm

I wondered for a while if they were a companion of a team who had decided to set up their own and needed to back log a heap of caches. The problem is that the venn diagram that includes 39 Green Ghosts and Paint it black is limited to only one team. And they certainly don't include this person.

I just deleted all of the bogus logs. Don't forget to validate your deletion by clicking the yes box in the next step.

Do you want to post a link to this note in general chit chat?

Team Wibble

Post by Team Wibble » 15 November 09 12:56 pm

calumphing_four wrote: I'm sure Z's new cache is closer to walk for you than your closest cache :P
Hey! I meant Z's NEWEST cache, not one of his new caches that probably is a very short walk from our place, which reminds me, gotta have another look at that puzzle....

Team Wibble

Post by Team Wibble » 15 November 09 1:01 pm

Freddo wrote:I wondered for a while if they were a companion of a team who had decided to set up their own and needed to back log a heap of caches. The problem is that the venn diagram that includes 39 Green Ghosts and Paint it black is limited to only one team. And they certainly don't include this person.

I just deleted all of the bogus logs. Don't forget to validate your deletion by clicking the yes box in the next step.

Do you want to post a link to this note in general chit chat?
Not discounting the fact that I'm pretty sure they didn't attend the June Long Weekend event or the Paint it black event :roll:

A link in the general forum might be a good idea, given that they're logging other states caches now too. I'll go do that.

Team Wibble

Bogus Logs

Post by Team Wibble » 15 November 09 1:02 pm

Thread here in the SA forums:
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 54#p143054

We've noticed this account is now logging caches for Victoria as well as SA, though thought people might like a heads up to go and delete the logs :?

SA_ParrotHead
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by SA_ParrotHead » 15 November 09 1:06 pm

This certainly created a bit of e-mail today.
They probably picked the worst weekend of the year to run this scam as we are all home avoiding the sun.
I emailed The Ump and he told me that it is not against any guidelines or even the Terms of Use to log caches you haven't found and his suggestions are already being done here.
I deleted all the entries and they came back about 10 minutes later so I deleted them again. So far no repeat.
I see they did the June event yesterday and even managed some caching in Adelaide and the ACT in one day.

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 15 November 09 2:38 pm

We noticed that he just logged GCHB4Y Wyndham Lights 2008 today & back dated it as August 08. Not possible as the Christmas decorations aren't out! What an idiot!! #-o