Bogus Logs (dog108 is logging caches without finding them)

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Re: Bogus Logs (dog108 is logging caches without finding them)

Post by caughtatwork » 19 November 09 1:45 pm

GA (do you mean GCA or GS, let me assume GCA) is not their plaything.

All their logs are coming through GS (Groundspeak).

Trust me, if people do annoying shit like this here, they will be booted as fast as I can find my jackboots and ban stick.

Even though we have no rules about geocaching, the game they are playing is not geocaching so they are not welcome at our site.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 19 November 09 1:47 pm

Doesn't look like he has logged on for a few days, so hopefully he has already grown tired of it :!:

forthferalz
100 or more tracks walked

Post by forthferalz » 19 November 09 8:21 pm

He'll give up - but perhaps he has 3 or 4 real mates who might tell their other dorky friends and it really isn't the point anymore really is it? The point has become the typical response from GC to dig their heels in about the bleeding obvious v. GA responding in completely the opposite fashion.

It's like any sort of spam or internet abuse - early on it was 'not my problem' if you wrote/rang your ISP/police/bank/relative-who-wouldn't-install-an-antivirus - but it was their problem too wasn't it? Now everyone, including my free email account, has spam/virus blockers.

or has switched platform. I switched back to mac. Is it a GA sockpuppet plot :shock: If I was getting spammed caches on one site and not on another guess where I'd port my hides? Like I said really bad for business to not listen to your genuine customers and let a good product fray around the edges.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 20 November 09 10:31 am

caughtatwork wrote:Trust me, if people do annoying shit like this here, they will be booted as fast as I can find my jackboots and ban stick.
Even though we have no rules about geocaching, the game they are playing is not geocaching so they are not welcome at our site.
Whoa. While it's very convenient to define anything that The GCA Powers That Be disapprove of as "not geocaching" and therefore not subject to the philosophy of "no rules", that's the start of a slippery slope.

The jackboots comment strikes a little too close to an historical precedent of atrocities committed with the aid of re-definitions...
(OMG, Godwin's Law has struck again!)

(edit to add)

And why the continuation of the rubbish about "no rules"? Can I place a cache shaped like a bomb on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and expect it to stay listed here? Geez, I hope there actually are some rules! (Of course, blatantly illegal or inappropriate placements would be defined as "not geocaching", so the rules we don't have wouldn't apply anyway, I assume...)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 20 November 09 11:58 am

I honestly never expected this tread to be godwin'ed, well done PBL! :-)

(as for the bomb cache example, common law makes it illegal, not our rules or lack thereof. After all, we are not above the law)

I personally just hope he gets sick of logging and goes away.
forthferalz wrote:Is it a GA sockpuppet plot :shock: If I was getting spammed caches on one site and not on another guess where I'd port my hides?
Nah, we are too lazy to work out an elaborate scheme like that.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 November 09 12:16 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Trust me, if people do annoying shit like this here, they will be booted as fast as I can find my jackboots and ban stick.
Whoa. While it's very convenient to define anything that The GCA Powers That Be disapprove of as "not geocaching" and therefore not subject to the philosophy of "no rules", that's the start of a slippery slope.

The jackboots comment strikes a little too close to an historical precedent of atrocities committed with the aid of re-definitions...
(OMG, Godwin's Law has struck again!)

(edit to add)

And why the continuation of the rubbish about "no rules"? Can I place a cache shaped like a bomb on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and expect it to stay listed here? Geez, I hope there actually are some rules! (Of course, blatantly illegal or inappropriate placements would be defined as "not geocaching", so the rules we don't have wouldn't apply anyway, I assume...)
Yes you can. As far as I'm concerned, you can do what you like. It's YOU that will run into problems, not me or the site. A geocache is a geocache which is then of course geocaching.

Joining a site and making fake logs is not geocaching. It's commonly called trolling. We ban people all the time for trying to join the site with the intention of trolling. We have banned 4,116 people from joining this site since the first of this year. Compare this to 3,225 who have been vetted and allowed access.

If it turns out that a troll has slipped though, I would have no hesitation in banning them for the good of the community. If I make the wrong decision, the community can provide feedback and if it's reasonable I will change my mind. Fortunately we haven't encountered this type of thing in the years we have been running, so the point is moot right now.

xibat

Post by xibat » 20 November 09 1:37 pm

I can understand where GS is comming from.
Everything costs money and GS need it to keep their web site running.
They get it by selling subscritions.

Everyone that I see finding caches regularly have already paid for the Premium membership, and the membership offers a solution to this problem.

Each cache in GS has the line
"Check if you only want Premium and Charter Members to view this cache."
Putting a tick against this option will stop almost all the dog108 fake log entries.
This would not affect the majority of regular cachers as they have already paid their membership anyway.

Currently the majority of caches (including my own) are open to the public, with only a few limited to members only.
I don't understand why it is not the other way arround with the majority of caches available to members only and a few open to the people who just want to have a go.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 20 November 09 1:50 pm

xibat wrote: Currently the majority of caches (including my own) are open to the public, with only a few limited to members only.
I don't understand why it is not the other way arround with the majority of caches available to members only and a few open to the people who just want to have a go.
I'd imagine more people would have Standard Memberships than Premium.
If it got changed to make it pay-for-play then sites like GCA would have a lot more caches :lol:

People will go somewhere else if they changed the site to how you suggest, it's the nature of the internet.

glyn(the only one)
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by glyn(the only one) » 20 November 09 2:56 pm

we have a guy in NZ whose doing a bit of armchair logging mixed with a few real logs, he caches under 8 or more names, posts caches , his "friends" get FTF's, he sets up false events, people turn up, nothing there, he makes excuses, wrong time, wrong meeting place or wrong day even!
He preys on disabled caches, logging finds on them knowing theres a high possibility of the fact the cache has gone.
He caches under the names of--
tremichlan
JDSavannah
GreytownLad
Manaia
GerrytheGeocachingGiraffe
CzechKiwi
Te Reo Maori
UVT_ROM

Check out his logs, makes disturbing reading.
His real name is Trevor Michael Landers (Tremichlan)
Be warned!--delete ALL his logs!--hopefully then he might get the message.
Last edited by glyn(the only one) on 21 November 09 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 20 November 09 3:56 pm

glyn(the only one) wrote:we have a guy in NZ whose doing a bit of armchair logging mixed with a few real logs, he caches under 8 or more names, posts caches , his "friends" get FTF's, he sets up false events, people turn up, nothing there, he makes excuses, wrong time, wrong meeting place or wrong day even!
He preys on disabled caches, logging finds on them knowing theres a high possibility of the fact the cache has gone.
He caches under the names of--
tremichlan
JDSavannah
GreytownLad
Manaia
GerrytheGeocachingGiraffe
CzechKiwi
Scoop81 (effectively a sock puppet - certainly displays all the traits of the others, like FTFing caches days/weeks before publishing)
Te Reo Maori
UVT_ROM

Check out his logs, makes disturbing reading.
Be warned!--delete ALL his logs!
tremichlan (and a few of his various aliases) has plied his trade in Oz too :roll:

stealth_ninja_penguin
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 20 November 09 7:02 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote: Geez, I hope there actually are some rules!
What are the point of rules if they are not applied fairly or are only applied selectively to some depending on they are?

forthferalz

Post by forthferalz » 20 November 09 8:28 pm

glyn(the only one) wrote:we have a guy in NZ whose doing a bit of armchair logging mixed with a few real logs, he caches under 8 or more names, posts caches , his "friends" get FTF's, he sets up false events, people turn up, nothing there, he makes excuses, wrong time, wrong meeting place or wrong day even!
Be warned!--delete ALL his logs!
wow! Absolutely appalling what was the GS response? What if you had invited some newb or a local reporter along?

Another interesting thing is that GS closed almost all the virtuals and set up waymarking so it isn't something they wished to continue supporting - why leave the trolls?
Armchair logging has it's place still is allowed for something called a virtual letterbox in the similar sport of letterboxing and it gets some box addicts through the snowy season. I thoroughly enjoy the logs on my virtual which has a physical counterpart.

PS.Some places in OZ are still relatively limited in their IT capability and we don't all have blazing fast quadcore PC's! Looking up caches and deleting logs is quite time consuming for my wee ibook.

forthferalz

Post by forthferalz » 20 November 09 9:02 pm

xibat wrote:I can understand where GS is comming from.
Everything costs money and GS need it to keep their web site running.
They get it by selling subscritions.

Everyone that I see finding caches regularly have already paid for the Premium membership, and the membership offers a solution to this problem.

Each cache in GS has the line
"Check if you only want Premium and Charter Members to view this cache."
Putting a tick against this option will stop almost all the dog108 fake log entries.
This would not affect the majority of regular cachers as they have already paid their membership anyway.

Currently the majority of caches (including my own) are open to the public, with only a few limited to members only.
Actually i know if GS doesn't look after non-premium members well they won't attract premium members in the first place. GS should jump on it as spam can eat up everything they pay for( bandiwth servers) real fast and pass it onto the premium guys who are rightly going to be upset - as ISP's found. So rather than shooting me back an email repsonse saying why don't i go buy another piece of filtering software I have a nice ISP who takes care of 99.9% of the spam/virus problem for me and i aint' switching and i would reccomend it to anyone although it isn't the cheapest.

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 20 November 09 9:22 pm

forthferalz wrote:wow! Absolutely appalling what was the GS response? What if you had invited some newb or a local reporter along?
Groundspeak seem to fail to act for lack of evidence ... it shouldn't be too hard for them to check IP addresses and confirm that this bloke is a total stooge :roll:

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 20 November 09 10:37 pm

How do we know he's not a cacher setting up another account just to stir us up,

all his logs were "easy TFTC" , how would someone that's never found a cache just write the same thing on all caches.