Bogus Logs (dog108 is logging caches without finding them)

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Re: Bogus Logs (dog108 is logging caches without finding them)

Post by Mr Router » 17 November 09 7:55 pm

Varuna wrote:
Don't say this or Devil'll decide to play with you :-# :-$ :lol:
there are also ways to play with them :-"

reasonjo
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by reasonjo » 17 November 09 8:29 pm

Can the daily GCA email have an extra heading tomorrow advising cache owners to delete dog108's logs?
What daily email?

I figure there is a box that needs to be ticked somewhere ... where do I look for it?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 17 November 09 8:36 pm

While I find this sort of asinine behaviour a bit annoying, there's not actually a fixed supply of smileys, so their bogus logs aren't using up a finite resource and making them less available to the rest of us!

I heartily endorse encouraging cache owners to do their duty and delete these fake logs, but it's got to get boring sooner or later for this dingbat, surely...

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 17 November 09 8:40 pm

reasonjo wrote:
Can the daily GCA email have an extra heading tomorrow advising cache owners to delete dog108's logs?
What daily email?

I figure there is a box that needs to be ticked somewhere ... where do I look for it?
Go to http://geocaching.com.au/my/settings and tick the Daily Email box then click save. Make sure your state or territory is correct too!

reasonjo
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by reasonjo » 17 November 09 8:43 pm

Thanks! :)

gibbo003
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by gibbo003 » 17 November 09 9:04 pm

I was feeling left out so went back and deleted the clown from NZ that was doing much the same last year in Darwin. I feel much better now. :-" :-" :-" :-"

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 17 November 09 9:07 pm

gibbo003 wrote:I was feeling left out so went back and deleted the clown from NZ that was doing much the same last year in Darwin. I feel much better now. :-" :-" :-" :-"
You needed another reason to delete that stooge's logs :?: :shock:

gibbo003
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by gibbo003 » 17 November 09 11:17 pm

Not really, as fast as I deleted them he would put them back and I soon found better things to do with my time like actually finding some caches. One can only hope he has found better things to do with his time although I suspect not. I had a quick look at his profile and it looks like he is up to his old tricks of hiding caches under a different name and then finding them first. Some people never learn.

Pikapene
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Pikapene » 17 November 09 11:23 pm

Just discovered dog108's mate! dog98 Same unvalidated type account, member since date and last visit date. Unlike 108, there are only 2 logged caches (although it's possible some have been deleted) down near Victor Harbour. The comments are a little more involved. How many more dog accounts are there?!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 18 November 09 5:35 am

Pikapene wrote:Just discovered dog108's mate! dog98 Same unvalidated type account, member since date and last visit date. Unlike 108, there are only 2 logged caches (although it's possible some have been deleted) down near Victor Harbour. The comments are a little more involved. How many more dog accounts are there?!
Or it could be legit, there are plenty of accounts with only 1 or 2 finds on them. Let's not get carried away just yet.

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 18 November 09 10:02 am

gibbo003 wrote:... it looks like he is up to his old tricks of hiding caches under a different name and then finding them first. Some people never learn.
I suppose that's marginally better than threatening to sue people who criticise him or his organising events then not turning up :roll:

forthferalz
100 or more tracks walked

Post by forthferalz » 19 November 09 9:26 am

at the risk of adding to the log spam I've started popping this note onto the cahces he's still 'found' for those who may not read the GA newsletter
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=dog108
dog108 is a bogus caching name which is logging caches around Australia without visiting the cache.
Follow the discussion about this cacher name in the GCA forums
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =2&t=13509

if it's a lousy idea i'll stop.

forthferalz

Post by forthferalz » 19 November 09 12:25 pm

and he has a virtual 'friend' - dog98
oops i see he has a mention - i better go through all 71 posts more closely :(
PS Annie Love at groundspeak is looking into the dog - she can't say exactly what they will do due to privacy concerns. Can you please forward her anything else like this so they can formulate a standard approach? Use the subject line 'unsporting'
annie@groundspeak.com

forthferalz

Post by forthferalz » 19 November 09 12:35 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
J_&_J wrote:IOnly people who've found the container and retreived the code from the logbook can log a find.
Or had the code provided to them in an email or from a photo, etc.

There is nothing that can stop this sort of idiocy and when the site owners won't help either, it's very frustrating ](*,)

Small rant. Groundspeak say they don't get involved in arbitration of caches / logs / etc and won't delete obvious bogus logs but when they like they archive a cache because they think the owner is lying about it being there and being maintained. Complete and utter hypocrisy.
here's what I wrote to Annie " if the powers that be need a good reason to delete these accounts I'd send them this advice - GC should always paymore attention to sportmanship and less to written rules or guidelines - the fun of geocaching which is a largely self regulated sport depends on this.
On a business side they should very very carefully look after their core of regular customers - not just the premium ones, hiding a cache is after all a donation to the sport and what would GC be otherwise without them? As a cache hider i put too much thought and effort into my caches to want them to become spam boxes.
"

nibbler
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by nibbler » 19 November 09 1:36 pm

While these actions may be annoying and unsportsmanlike , I am thinking outside the norm and it may just be that this is an individual that has some "personal issues" and GA has become his/her play thing !! it happens you know.They may not be able to control their impulses here. :|
Like papa bear_left says its annoying but lets hope the "dingbat " will get tired of playing with us and find something else to play with.
In the mean time i will just delete the logs and wont be getting tied up about the stats. :-k

Just a thought :-"